Thread: Delta 50-760 and Phil Thien's separator?

Delta 50-760 and Phil Thien's separator?

Does anyone have any pics and/or descriptions on how they implemented the separator on the Delta 50-760? I'd like to do it, but I'd love to hear from someone that has already done it.

Thanks,

Roger

I have the 50-760 and after a year, I can say that it's very easy to change the bag. I haven't had to pound the filter yet.

One of the plusses of the 50-760 is it's mobility, which might be marginally compromised with a separator.

Just not sure you'd need one...

Thanks Charles. I am trying to figure out if I can put the separator inside the main ring of the DC. This thread discusses the design, but the person never finished the thread with his success or failure. It appears you need to suspend it slightly below the bottom of the ring.

I am trying to avoid a dedicated separator bin, which is the design in the first link you supplied. It is relatively easy to change the plastic bag (as noted by the other reply to my message), but I'd like to keep the dust buildup inside the filter bag to a minimum.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger, I understand now. I haven't checked the inside of my 50-760 yet so don't know if this guys idea would work or not but thought I'd send it to you anyway. He has a HFDC instead of the Delta.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/8605

There is a note on Phil's site about him having done it on a unit. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Seehuetter Panama City View Post
    There is a note on Phil's site about him having done it on a unit. Maybe he'll chime in here.

Chuck
    I don't think I've done one. I had some theories about how to do it once, but I don't think I ever implemented them.

It can't be too hard, though. And I think someone at my site did do it but maybe never posted a pic?

I'll be watching this thread, I hope it pans out.
    I have the same unit and was thinking about adding a baffle.
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

There appears to be two very different strategies: either use a separate canister with the separator built into the lid (which improves the efficiency) or embed the separator into the DC itself. I hope to implement the second strategy with my DC.

I get confused because the two strategies seem pretty different but they are used interchangeably on the forums. I guess the similarity is the separator disk.

From Phil's comment on his forum, it appears the 50-760 needs two rings. One is inside the ring between the filter bag and the plastic bag. A second separator plate is suspended below the bottom of the gray ring.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Roger

Roger,
    Looking forward to hearing your adventure with the separator. My 50-760 arrived yesterday.

roger

did you implement this modification yet
    and if you did how did it work?

thanks phil

It is sometimes hard to find just the right thread on this topic since it's mentioned so often. I don't think the thread below has been referenced yet:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74713

IMHO - The photos found in the above thread are the best illustrations of how to do it inside a DC separator. Now that my ductwork is about finished, I am planning to implement mine this weekend Provided I get my financials finished in time (taxes!?#*&$@#).

Here's my version of the 50-760 with a Thien separator (thanks Phil).

Surely it's a less-than-ideal implementation, but it works for me. I made the separator with plexiglass, so it allows me to easily see if the can is full. No trouble with static build-up. LOTS more chips in the bin than dust in the bag - mostly a product of my undersized 4" runs, but a good testament to the separator's effectiveness.

The standard corrugated tube can be collapsed easily to remove the can. Just need to convert the hose clamps to thumb-screw type so I never need to pull out the screwdriver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chad, if you go to 5" pipe you are going to get a boost in performance because it's 50% larger cross sectionally than 4" and the 50-760 is capable of moving the additional air. If you have to taper because the connection to a machine is 4", do it at the machine unless you are on a LONG run.