Thread: Shapers

Question Shapers

My dad had a Jet 1.5 hp shaper ordered for many months and finally cancelled his order. It seems Jet is having trouble getting them made and/or shipped. Sounds familiar, as I recently purchased a Jet mini lathe and had the same trouble.

I told him I would find some other options for him.

That is where you come in since I know zero about shapers.

Is the Jet 1.5 hp a good model?

Are there others to strongly consider?

Is 1.5 hp the right size for him? He is a home remodeler, so the shaper won't see heavy use - only for picture frames, small moulding pieces, and occasional raised panels, no large production runs.

Does anyone know who may have the Jet model in stock? Possibly General Industrial supply?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
    JB

The Jet is one of the better 1.5 hp shapers if not the best. I would check with Woodcraft or Amazon shows them shipping in a month. Delta use to make a nice 1.5 hp open stand shaper as well. I might be a bit leary of some of the other imported machines.

John

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Baker
    My dad had a Jet 1.5 hp shaper ordered for many months and finally cancelled his order. It seems Jet is having trouble getting them made and/or shipped. Sounds familiar, as I recently purchased a Jet mini lathe and had the same trouble.

Does anyone know who may have the Jet model in stock? Possibly General Industrial supply?
    Jim,

Call Rick Warren at GIS (1-800-371-2220) - he might be able to help you. The Jet Shaper is a good choice.