Thread: Woodworking with kids

Woodworking with kids

Not sure this is the right forum, but I'll ask anyway:

I'm looking for a good project to build with my 4yr old son. Anybody know a good source for projects to build with yr kids? Good books?

Thanks in advance.

Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Kind of tough

Its kind of tough with a 4 year old. Keep him away from the table saw. I would suggest short sessions with you doing almost all the work. Keep him involved with the planning and running dialogue. For projects I would suggest a simple box with hinges, handles and a hasp. Paint his name on the front. Buy some premade wheels and axels and make some toy trucks and cars. Make more than one so he can give one away as a Christmas gift. Nontoxic materials with no sharp or small parts is also a good idea.
    Last edited by Gary Breckenridge; 12-04-2008 at 2:46 AM.

Birdhouse

I have some experience working with children. A great first woodworking project is to build a very simple birdhouse from soft pine. My "kids first project" birdhouse is very simple:

-Two side pieces
    -Two end pieces
    -A bottom
    -A V-shape roof, already assembled

Pre-cut all the peices and pre-drill nail holes. The project steps are designed so that the project is short and kids will have fun:

(1) Ask your son to figure out what could be built from the pieces. At 4, he will struggle and you will need to help. When kids are older, they can usually do this themselves. This is like a puzzle, which most kids at 4 are used to doing. He may want to assemble the birdhouse in this fashion many, many times before you actually hammer in a nail.

(2) Start final assembly using easy to hammer nails. Your son will appreciate the opportunity to wack a nail with a hammer - just like daddy! Its good to have a small lightweight hammers for kids to use.

(3) Drill a one inch hole in one end for the bird to enter and exit through. With everything clamped down, a drill press set at low speed with a forstner bit is an okay first power tool experience for a child (with you standing right there!!!). Hands are kept well clear of anything sharp and kids can understand and actually pull the handle to make the bit enter the wood. It is also visually appealing to kids. Note - have extra wood available becuase your son will want to repeat this step!

(4) (You) drill a smaller hole below the bigger one and insert a dowel. Make the dowel too long and you and your son can use a small hand saw to cut it to the right length.

(5) Paint the bidhouse. Get messy. Your son will love it.

(6) Hang the birdhouse where he can see it every day.

I've done this project many times and the kids always love it. I have fun too.

-Mark

Please make sure you keep the door to the shop locked when not in use plus a second barrier to prevent against accidents by locking out the most dangerous tools in the shop.