Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup anyone??

Sketchup anyone??

I have also observed so many valuable uses of Sketchup on SMC. Although, I have yet to undertake mastering this program, it seems that it would significantly enhance the woodworking experience.

Is there enough interest to justify a separate forum in the creek for this subject? I don't want to cause more work, but Sketchup is becoming increasingly popular.

Or, is there another source out there to which one can turn for a collective resource. I know there seems to be a lot of material, but it seems scattered.

Thoughts??

After posting this, I see the various threads come up in "Similar threads" - all in the Design Forum. Perhaps I just need to delve into that forum more. Would appreciate any comments in either event. Thanks.

John,

Excellent blog on the FWW site. Starting something here on the Creek is a good idea.

Best!

-Jerry

I would be VERY interested in this as well since I have tried to master Sketchup and have thus far failed. I consider myself to be of average intelligence but mastery of this program eludes me. I have worked with 3-d programs in the past with success but I have to think that there is something fundamental that I am just missing about this program which others have recognized and achieved success with.

Attempts to use it for anything other than a simple box with some holes in it have ended with my wanting to throw my computer out the window.

Count me in favor of a sketchup forum as well. I've been playing with this program for a couple of years now and have really been able to visualize things and modify them without using up materials. In fact, I have my entire shop modelled - including all the tools that I don't own yet . The size of the file got so big I could barely navigate around in it.

Can't say enough good things about this program for shop layout once you get onto it. The learning curve was a bit steep though.

Cheers,
    Lewis

I use Sketchup to build things that would othersize be too expensive to prototype.

I offer custom-made mantels and surrounds in the Arts and Crafts style. Of the dozen+ I've 'built', only a few have made it to my site and even fewer ever sell in any real numbers. This would be incredibly wasteful if I had to actually build these.

I've gotten pictures of living rooms from prospective customers and placed my mantel into their photograph - instant sale!!!

I spent about 30 hours over the course of a month learning only what I needed. The ability to insert my images (the tile, clock and the inlays are photographs) into a sketch is a big plus. I've got about 25 pictures of vases, clocks, wall mirrors... that I can place in a sketch.

It's just time at a desk instead of the TV....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    I would be VERY interested in this as well since I have tried to master Sketchup and have thus far failed. I consider myself to be of average intelligence but mastery of this program eludes me. I have worked with 3-d programs in the past with success but I have to think that there is something fundamental that I am just missing about this program which others have recognized and achieved success with.

Attempts to use it for anything other than a simple box with some holes in it have ended with my wanting to throw my computer out the window.

Larry I hear you, but check out this site specifically on drawing the book shelve.

http://www.garymkatz.com/charts_drawings.html

Greg

The Sketchup discussions happen in the Design Forum. We discussed this before and decided to keep it there and not start a new forum. Here's some posts...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=2558925
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks Greg - I will check them out.

John,
    There's a couple of Sketchup forums that I have found useful along with info from SMC. There are also some tutorials on youtube
    http://www.sketchucation.com/
    http://forums.taunton.com/fw-designforum

Larry,
    I was lucky enough to speak to Dave Richards (FWW Design. Click . Build Forum). I have used AutoCad for years but also struggled with SU. He told me that it seems more difficult for people with other drawing software experience to grasp SU. Just keep working at it, it will all the sudden make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I have also observed so many valuable uses of Sketchup on SMC. Although, I have yet to undertake mastering this program, it seems that it would significantly enhance the woodworking experience...
    John, thanks for bringing this topic up again. If I ever learn Sketch Up I could justify a laptop for the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post

Larry, I'm in the same situation. My experience with computers dates back to the era of the punch card and the early "microcomputers," but Sketch Up seems to elude me. I even have trouble getting a simple box.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Cobb View Post
    Count me in favor of a sketchup forum as well. I've been playing with this program for a couple of years now and have really been able to visualize things and modify them without using up materials. In fact, I have my entire shop modelled - including all the tools that I don't own yet . The size of the file got so big I could barely navigate around in it.

Can't say enough good things about this program for shop layout once you get onto it. The learning curve was a bit steep though.

Cheers,
    Lewis

Lewis, that's impressive! I sure would like to be able to do something like that. Maybe now that I'm retired I'll be able to find the time to work with the program and the tutorials.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 12-04-2008 at 9:59 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Wow, I just started playing with it this week and that shop model is MOST impressive. I'm fumbling around with getting a chest-of-drawers model.

Haven't done anything like this since high school drafting class, so I am sure the learning curve is fairly steep.

Will have to poke around in the design forum more.

Lewis,

Did you model all of those tools on your own; or did you get premade models for them?

Charles

I'm a big fan and a big user of SketchUp. I've posted a lot of my models in the 3D warehouse. Look here if you are interested. They are mostly woodworking related.

The blog at Fine Woodworking is great. The "Sketchucation forum" is generally great and it has a special section for woodworkers.

There's also lots of background here on the Creek and I'm sure there are many who would be happy to help out.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Wow! I vote for Lewis Cobb to teach Sketchup. I've resorted to pencil and paper because I can't get the simplest things to work in that program. Even though I know I will get it the more I play with it, it seems like it will be years before I can get anything useful out of it. I just picked up my cyclone this afternoon, in fact it's still on the back of the truck and I would love to layout my ducting like that!

Over at Lumberjocks there's a fair amount of Sketchup activity as well, including at least one blog of a newbie learning it.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.