Thread: Behlens Turners Finish

Behlens Turners Finish

I just got a bottle of this stuff and my impressions so far are I like it! I did a couple stoppers last night and an icicle this morning with it and I loved the results. I didnt exactly go by the directions though and I wanted to see how others use it. Its said to more or less put it on and wait an hour or so. What I did was apply a couple of coats with a cotton wad then cranked the lathe up to around 3k and burned it in there. I got a nice deep glossy shine and I could handle it right away. How do you guys do it?

Thanks!

Jim
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

What kind of product is it Jim??? Is that a shellac or poly or something else??
    John T.

Jim I use it on some turnings and also use lacquer that I burn it. I either apply it with a old T-shirt or paper towel. T-shirt works best. I also friciton it in.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John,
    It's a friction polish made out of shellac.

One of these days i'll try it, for now good 'ole rattle can lacquer or tung oil.

Jim,

Behlens Turners Finish (and the similar shellac based friction polishes) are great for some things, but not for others. When I use it, I apply it with a paper towel and then turn the lathe on while rubbing the paper towl along the piece. The friction from the towl rubbing the wood cures and sets the finish. (Bernie's t-shirt method may work better, but I'm afraid my old shop teacher would come in an hit me up aside the head if I used a cloth around spinning machinery.)

The advantages of friction polish are that it's quick, builds a deep finish very fast, and it looks purty.

The disadvantage is that it won't stand up to much use. My first pens all had a three-coat friction polish finish. They looked great. Within a week, the I'd worn through the finish of the pen I'd taken to work. Yes, it was one of my first pens so I was constantly pulling it out of my pocket just to admire it. (Maybe, with more normal use, the finish would have lasted three weeks.) Anyway, in my shop, friction polish is reserved for things meant to sit on a shelf to be looked at -- preferrably behind a glass door!

YMMV.

But David thats not what the package said??!!
    Seriously though glad you told me about that I was getting ready to use it on some bottle stoppers but from what you say maybe thats not the best choice?? Anyone care to chime in with a good finish for stoppers? (hijack my own thread!)

Jim:
    I have used Behlen's Turner's finish and it works great on anything that is not going to be handled much. I learned my lesson with pens as well. I now us CA to finish the bottle stoppers that I make. It works well with smooth pieces that don't have intricate work.
    All the best.

Don

Jim I use rattle can lacquer on my bottle stoppers. About 5 light coats works for me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    ...I was getting ready to use it on some bottle stoppers but from what you say maybe thats not the best choice??...
    Jim,

Using a shellac based product on bottle stoppers might not be the best of ideas -- not just because the finish won't stand up to wear. Shellac dissolves in alcohol! Unless, of course, your stoppers are going to plug a jug of milk.

Bernie gave a good suggestion: Lacquer is a good looking and durable finish. Wipe on poly also works well. CA may be the most durable finish, and it's quick to apply once you get the knack. CA's expensive and some object to the plastic look it gives the wood. I don't turn a lot of bottle stoppers, but if I did I think I'd be tempted to use Walnut Oil or Tung Oil. Both pop the grain, give a nice soft glow, are easy for the owner to renew, and are quick and cheap. But, they aren't high luster, glossy, finishes like Behlens. If that's what you're after, try lacquer or poly (and after you've learned on a pen or two) CA glue.

Have fun with your stoppers.
    Last edited by David Walser; 12-05-2008 at 1:43 AM.

Any CA tutorials a guy can look over to get a better idea of how this is done exactly?

Jim,

I use BLO to pop the grain, followed by Zinnser's Bullseye dewaxed shellac followed by a couple coats of Deft brushing lacquer on my bottle stoppers. I friction all three. It's quick and the lacquer as the final coats is impervious to alcohol. When the bottlestoppers come off the lathe they are finished.

Lacquer is impervious to alcohol.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....