Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router fence for TS router extension

Question Router fence for TS router extension

think I'm going to ditch my router table to save space and go with one of the TS extensions with a router plate opening but have a question on how to deal with attaching a fence for the router. This is on a PM66 with PM Accufence and a Woodpecker PRL lift and PC7518 router. Looking at some earlier posts it looks like some folks are attaching some sort of router fence to either the existing TS fence or using the existing fence rails to attach a router fence. A couple of other setups look like they're using slots milled in the extension table and fasteners through the slots/fence for adjustment and locking down.
    I'm pretty happy with the PM Accufence and would rather not change anything there other than maybe changing the UHMW faces to something more solid for screw attachments. I've also got a Wixey readout mounted on the rails, so dont think I can clamp anything to that. Do I just use the RH side of the Accufence to attach a router fence or is the slotted extension table the way to go? I'd like to get a fairly basic fence that I can just hang up somewhere when using the saw. Either mounting option seem like it has it's pros & cons, but I'm not sure what I should be focusing on.

?? What to Do ??
    Use the fence Luke

You're on the right track Doug! That table extension is just begging you to install a router in it. Since you already have the Accu-fence, build a router fence with dust collection that will slip over your Accu- and clamp to it. There is no use drilling into the table for inserts or T-nuts if we don't have to. You already have a nice, infinitely adjustable fence ready to go to work!

Below your table will present more of a challenge than the fence above. Some PM66 ext. tables have 2 wood braces, some 3! If 2, you are in Luck! Where to place your router insert will be your big decision.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I made put the fence pictured from a Jointech fence & 3/4 birch plywood. I put threaded inserts in the top to attach it to.

Thanks guys. I might be on borrowed time with my PC. Shortly after posting this I started getting some very bad sounds and the notorious BSOD and wasnt able to reboot. I have a hunch my hard drive is going. Managed to get this reboot despite more bad sounds but very slow startups. So if I disappear for a bit, that's why. I did forget to mention the extension type I'm considering is one of the cast iron or steel ones. I'm going to shut down and take this down to CompUSA to see what's up.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug, I went both ways. I started out with a Woodhaven crosscut table & Woodhaven fence that clamps directly onto the TS fence – no modification required. The Woodhaven fence and table are both excellent quality, but because of the way machines are arranged in my shop the setup required a lot of bending on my back.
    Enter the Bench Dog. The BD wing package is also excellent quality and the package deal comes with its own fence. The BD fence is well made but I always end up using the Woodhaven fence mounted on the TS fence because of its better DC and easier adjustability.
    If I had to pick only one option, I’d go with the BD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Whether you use a seperate fence in slots or a "saddle" fence on your TS fence, you still have to put it somewhere when not in use. I think some of this will be driven by the extension you get. If it already has slots, I would use them. If it doesn't I would build a saddle unit.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-05-2008 at 4:33 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Doug, hope the computer glitch isn't serious. Here is my saddle fence . I used the magnetic switches and it works great. Just hang it on the wall when not in use.

Also, I notice that Peachtree has their cast iron extension on sale for $172.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-05-2008 at 5:05 PM.

Well I called and their main techie is out and the backup means if I took it in it would sit on a shelf and not get looked at tdday anyway. I'm starting wonder now if it's the DVD drive making the noise but it does it without any disc in and with/without the door closed. Scares the bejeezus out of the cat. It does seem to go away some if I try to keep the laptop perfectly flat.
    Anyway I'm still limping along and it hasn't crashed again anyway.

Bruce - is this the Woodhaven one? http://woodhaven.com/ProductDetail.asp?Id=1633
    This looks pretty decent except it doesn't look like you can adjust the opening (which isn't real critical) but do you have any closeup pics (edited: from the other side) of how that clamps onto the fence?

John - that mag switch setup looks sweet.

The reason I was asking about the slot style fences is that one of the extensions I want to investigate is the Quality Grinding ones and I get the sense that they'd machine slots into it if I wanted them tho I'm kind of liking the other option better anyway. I noticed that the Peachtree fences had the slot setup which was what got me wondering which way to go.
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 12-05-2008 at 6:29 PM.
    Use the fence Luke

Another opinion

I have a router in a table saw extension. I was using a "saddle" type fence and it worked fine. I built a second independent fence. I found that having router setup then having to move the fence for a rip cut and resetting the router fence was a pain. I have a Mule fence on a G1023 and it wasn't hard to come up with a means to mount a second fence. I can rip about 12" with both fences in use. Plenty for that replacement door rail or stile the original of which was cut 1" short. One thing to remember about router table fences--being precisely parallel isn't important like it is with the table saw fence. I found easy adjustment of the bit opening and good dust collection important.

HTH

Curt
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-05-2008 at 6:53 PM.

Doug, I will bet your computer noise is the fan on the power supply. I had one start that and did it off and on for about 3 years!! If the fan ever hangs, your power supply will be dead in short order.

Doug, that’s it except I bought the “kit” with the bells & whistles. The site photo doesn't show it very well but the fence inserts are fully adjustable, replaceable, and you can flip them around. I pencil marked my Bies so I just line up the pads and use a couple of Quik-Clamps to attach. It’s a very solid setup. Here are some pics I just took.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Muchos gracias
    Those are a lot clearer. The pics on Woodhavens site dont really show those brackets very well or how they're meant to attach. I actually thought their description implied those were an actual clamp of some sort.
    Use the fence Luke

if you don't mind drilling holes in your TS fence, the freud fence modifies to fit on top of a TS fence pretty easily. the faces attach to the main assembly on a pair of rods that attach with 2 bolts from the rear. remove the bolts, and the faces come off with their mounts intact, then you have the TS fence back. that's the method i used, with a couple of sections of an aluminum stud in lieu of the particle board stuff they send with most router fences.

Neal
    I did look that thread of your's over pretty good as I'm thinking of the same extension on the same saw. I do have some questions more related to the extension but I'm going to take them over to that thread once I think through some things.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Thanks guys. I might be on borrowed time with my PC. Shortly after posting this I started getting some very bad sounds and the notorious BSOD and wasnt able to reboot. I have a hunch my hard drive is going. Managed to get this reboot despite more bad sounds but very slow startups. So if I disappear for a bit, that's why. I did forget to mention the extension type I'm considering is one of the cast iron or steel ones. I'm going to shut down and take this down to CompUSA to see what's up.
    LOL!!! Given the topic of the thread, I read this as your PC (Porter Cable) was making bad sounds.... but then you lost me with the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and rebooting.. I was going through a paradigm shift without a clutch!

Lessons here:
    1) Don't use Windows for your PC Router
    2) Don't use a PC router for your PC
    3) Don't buy routers at CompUSA (unless they are for networking)
    4) There is a fine line between resawing and rebooting (I have absolutely no idea what that means)