Thread: Old Power Tools

Smile Old Power Tools

How many still have older power tools that they keep around, and occasionally use.
    Does this one bring back any memories? Still works like a charm and the light still works too. I don't know the age, but I know it's an old tool...
    Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ted Jay; 12-06-2008 at 2:11 AM.
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

I have an old Sears Craftsman, D Handle 1/2" drill. All aluminum body and, heavy! But the torque is incredible. It spins at a lower RPM than my Milwaukee's, and I swear if it ever caught it would just turn me in circles.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Yup,
    Milk crates full, from the late 50s and 60s.
    Why? You know, just in case.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson View Post
    Yup,
    Milk crates full, from the late 50s and 60s.
    Why? You know, just in case.

Per
    Its better to have a tool and not need one, than need a tool and not have one!

I think that is some old American proverb...

Craftsman miter box and saw... Craftsman 1/2" drill.. Craftsmans 1 1/2 HP D handle.. collor ring router I still use for laminate edging. All are still be used in some way and the 1/2" drill often. These were purchased in the early 70's. I also have a J. C. Penney Shopmate circular saw circa 1950's which was given to me used in 1972 and used for my first TS mounted under a 2 x 4 piece of ply. It still does some decking but is mainly kept around and displayed openly to remind me of the humble beginning when I first took up the hobby in 1972.

Sarge..

I have a SawSmith RAS that must be from the late 50's early 60's. I can't find blades for it anymore and it burns its way through every cut. The carriage guide rails are so badly worn you can only pull the carriage through about 2/3 of its capacity before it jams. I also have a Shopsmith that my Dad bought in the 80's that was old then. I am using it as a 12" and drum sander and my wife has a urge to do turning. I have boxes and boxes of old tools from parents, inlaws, ex-inlaws and friends. I also have a Millwright milling machine (metal) and an old Chinese lathe, about 12" swing that I got from my ex when her dad passed away. I have since found the joy of buying quality tools (Hitachi SCMS and SawStop) so I am slowly retiring some of the older tools that don't cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Its better to have a tool and not need one, than need a tool and not have one!

I think that is some old American proverb...
    The day I was using this saw, to cut landscaping timbers for a flower box, was the day the 18V batteries for the Milwaukee sawzall and drill were not holding their charge. So, I was going to break out the old stand-bys, but I had forgotten that I had tossed the corded drill years back, and after the cutting was done the rest of the job came to a halt. So now I have to go buy another corded drill for that "just in case" situation, and get the three batterie packs rebuilt again.
    Ted

Just one for me, what has got to be one of the first Skilsaws to come off the line. Still use it as the go to sidewinder, but shish the weight...

My dad has and still uses a massive old drill, that I think would chuck a 3/4" shank bit if you wanted. The thing turns at about 15 rpm, so it has enough tork to wrap you around whatever is handy, up until it pulls the plug. Aluminum case, and with the bad brushes creating the obvious lightning show, it makes you feel like you are living on the edge. Oh, and the noise.... Love that drill.
    Last edited by Steve Rozmiarek; 12-06-2008 at 12:05 PM.

At a local restoration shop I volunteer at, I use a 30 inch planer built in 1912 and a radial arm saw from that same era-no specific date available.

I have a lot of Craftsman Commercial power tools from the 60's and 70's that have been stored well and are in very good condition. I don't use them often but I do use them. They come in handy especially when a power tool that I use frequently is in the house and I am in my shop with the Craftsman Commercial tools about 200 feet from the house.
    David B