Thread: aniline dye coverage

aniline dye coverage

Anyone have a general rule as to approximately how much coverage i can get from a quart of aniline dye, such as transtint? I'm finishing 2 bathroom vanities that are 21"x30"x30".
    This stuff is expensive and i only want to mix as much as I'll need, plus a little. Thanks, John

John,
    lots of variables here, how strong a dye are you mixing? How strong a color do you want? Both will make a big difference in how "far" a given amount of dye goes.

However, dye does not go bad. And, I would feel comfortable that a single bottle of transtint dye would *more* than cover a couple vanities. Suggest that you mix it up in the glass jar of your choice, I use jelly jars. If you keep track of the strength, you can refill the jar as often as you like/need. It does go a long way.

Try test pieces first. Be aware that the piece will look terrible when the dye drys, but the first coat of clear finish will make things great again.

P7020013 (Large).JPG P7140043 (Large).JPG

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

There is one way to get a close approximation. Use distilled water to raise the grain of a basic project. Apply it copiously like you would apply the dye. Yes, that's more than you would use to just raise the grain. But you will get a good measure of how far the dye will go. The cost, a bit of extra sanding to be ready to dye. If you keep the sanding light it will significantly reduce the grain raising the dye will do. I usually don't bother to raise grain, but just sand it off after the first finish coat has hardened, but that's not the only way.

I stained 16 kitchen cabinets, uppers and lowers, inside and out with less than a quart. Dark Walnut on White Oak.

Cautions mentioned earlier regarding raising the grain should be heeded.
    I might add another caution, wear latex gloves!
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

On the gloves that Gene mentions, it's a good idea to wear "thick" gloves. The typical light duty surgical style gloves that many of us use in the shop tear way too easily and getting dye on your hand could make for some interesting looks when you are at work the following week... DAMHIKT!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

At 1%, it'll make about 1 1/2 gallons
    At 2%, it'll make about 3/4 gallons

'coverage' for me is usually more for dye than oils or pig stains, because I usually apply the latter by flooding and wiping, and the former by soaking a sponge and then rubbing in.

For me, it goes a LONG way. I finished a 17 x 55 x 29" mahogany console table with 2 coats using a single 6oz mix @ 2%

Gloves are good

"On the gloves that Gene mentions, it's a good idea to wear "thick" gloves. The typical light duty surgical style gloves that many of us use in the shop tear way too easily and getting dye on your hand could make for some interesting looks when you are at work the following week... DAMHIKT!!"

Yeah, like when three fingertips are purple from the bowl that you dyed the day before....