Thread: GI? Ken Salisbury....

GI? Ken Salisbury....

Ken, I noticed a few threads down that you recommended contacting Rick Warren at GI, and I recall you saying once that he is a friend of yours.

I've bought from GI, and they're a good company, but do you know why they can't get a good website up and keep it up? This is not a complaint; I know I can call them, but I'm one of those people who like to drool over stuff on websites before buying....

As a company I like, I hate to see them put at a disadvantage, and I think the badly designed, often down, or nonexistant (at present) website does them a disservice. I did mention in an email to them once (about a year & 1/2 back) that I was finding it difficult to get all the information I needed from the site as designed, but received no reply.

Anyway, as I said, not a complaint, just curious and thought you might have a perspective on this.

gary

Hey Gary, I couldn't agree with you more on the website thing. If a company is going to "show" website presence, then it had better be up-to-date AND working! GI's site is more often "down" than it is up. I've run into a couple other vendors with similar issues (albeit nowhere near as bad) and, quite simply, they've lost my business. I'm in a rather "woodworking equipment deprived" area, as far as having brick and mortar stores nearby. In the last year or so, I've seriously considered Jet for my new cabinet TS and bigger lathe, as well as Performax for a drum sander. I've always been pretty budget driven and refurbs are often a good way to get a lot of bang for your buck. As it stands, I got Bridgewood Ts, Vega lathe (used) and Delta drum sander.

Yeah, I know; "Just call them...", bla, bla, bla. On the other hand, if a company is "representing" themselves via a website, it doesn't show well for them as a company. In this day and age, a functional website is an extension of an organization's Customer Service. Just MHO....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I wish Iturra would come into the new age....

Imagine if they would just post a PDF of their catalog....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-09-2004 at 7:23 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

"I wish Iturra would come into the new age...."

According to the gal I spoke with there about a month ago, it's actually in the works (but then again, look how long it took them to get their new catalog out!!! ). Guess we'll just have to wait and see on that one.

Jim

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sutherland
    Ken, I noticed a few threads down that you recommended contacting Rick Warren at GI, and I recall you saying once that he is a friend of yours.

I've bought from GI, and they're a good company, but do you know why they can't get a good website up and keep it up?

gary
    I have discussed this with Rick on more than one occassion. It seems there is an internal family problem involved. His nephew is the web site administator and Rick just won't relieve him of that job. He just puts up with it to eliminate family dissent . Sometimes it is the lesser of the 2 evils (DAMHIKT).