Thread: Yet another pricing question - Per letter?

Yet another pricing question - Per letter?

OK, still trying to get a feeling for things. Most of what we have produced have been designs, plaques etc. Now we have a client looking to mark items, mostly with just lettering with maybe an occasional logo, on items they supply. In this case it's handcuffs and mag lights for a law enforcement supplier.

I have seen some charge by inch and some charge by the traditional engravers per letter charge. Set-up on items will be minimal once I get templates set-up and other items, like the cuffs, it will be almost none existent. There will be a mixture of items that need something like Cermark (cuffs) and items that do nit (mag lights, pens, etc).
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

The only thing I do by letter is laser cut letters,and for those my chart is for 1/8" and 1/4" acrylic, then gets adjusted for detailed fonts, other materials or thicknesses. I do this only because I do so many of them and it's a lot easier.

For engraving I still think time is better than per letter, since the time it takes can vary so much between fonts, letter sizes, and materials. You can end up short changing yourself or being to high to be competitive.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

On the rotary engraver I charge buy the letter and works well, on the laser I agree that time is the factor so I charge by the min. There have been other discussions on this so you have to figure your shop rate and then come up with a per min charge. You can do a search on this I am sure you will find the formula. Everyones cost is different for different location in the country so one persons charge may not apply for your costs and area. Hope this helped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Uebner
    Trotec Speedy 300 45w, Xenetch 1313, Signature 8080 Plus, Baby Lock EM6

On something like handcuffs and flashlights I would set a price for the job rather than using time or letters. The job has a value, say $5-$10 as an example, but in time it takes only a few seconds to engrave and a minute to set up.

For example, I have a 4.50 minimum on pens or $5 on singles. It's not worth it to me to price it lower.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7