Thread: Locating Sliding Stay

Locating Sliding Stay

I'm building a couple of small jewelry boxes for granddaughters. I planned to support the hinged lid with a sliding stay (Lee Valley item 00D45.40).

I laid out the dimensions and think I have the pivot points located, but thought I'd try something smart for a change and ask. It looks like if I'm off just a small amount, there could be interference between the stay and the rear side or the bottom. Is there a methodology for establishing the two screws so the top opens to 90*, closes/opens without binding, and the stay clears the back wall when closed?

Thanks,

Tom

I'd make up a dummy box with the end and back of the box and lid and hinge them together. Then you could try mounting the slide and watch it work to see if it'll clear the bottom. I was going to do it graphically for you but there's not enough info on the LV site for me to make an accurate drawing of the slide.

Thanks Dave.

I used old-fashioned graphics to do my test; a drafting board, a full size three-view drawing, and the actual sliding stay. I stuck a push pin in the drawing board to locate the slot in the stay on the box side wall and traced the arc of the sliding stay attached to the lid from the lid's closed to open position. It took a couple of relocations to get it to work.

The stay seems to clear OK, but thought I'd see what tricks/tips the experienced hands had discovered. Good idea on the mock-up. I have enough scraps to make something that will mimic the actual box. One set of holes is enough.

Tom

Your drawing table and the stay seems to make plenty of sense. If you use the scraps you'll be able to see the thing in action. Could be a useful thing for the future, too, if you use the stay again.