Thread: This needs something ....

Question This needs something ....

Just a small table, with a one piece top. Kind of plain jane sort of thing. Needs something extra, just not sure what. SDC11916.jpgSDC11917.jpgAll white oak. Top is 12-1/2" wide. Square legs. Maybe a bottom shelf? Slats on the ends? Simple , plain table...

Steven, I think raising the leg braces 6"- 8" would improve the balance.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree on raising the braces, might also want to consider using a single stretcher, and tapering the legs. The design is too "grounded" for my taste.
    Wood'N'Scout

I agree with the 2 responses above. I'd eliminate the long stretchers all together, and raise the short ones about a foot. You could add some inlay or something for visual interest.

Oh, and it looks like you could use a better dust collection system!

All the wood in this little table came from an old garage that was torn/fell down. It had a "joist" , 2x8 , that was Black Cherry. All the rafters were either white Oak, or ash. As for that top:SDC11888.jpg13-1/2" by 8' long, flat sawn White Oak. I had to rip the edges down, due to bevels on them. I also cut the length in half to get more uses out of it.There was also one in Ash, but it was over 14" wide. Price? Just gas money to haul the pile away. As for the table, maybe a bread board edge? Stretchers were glued in place. Not all those nail hoes in these boards are empty, either. Still some old cut nails floating around. SDC11916.jpg

Ok, can't move the bottom stretchers. Now, how about a bread board edge for that top? I do have some thin strips of oak, maybe attach some along the bottom edge of the upper aprons? Maybe even wrap them around the legs, and into a miter joint. These strips are about 1/2 thick, by about 2" wide. Still thinking about, maybe, adding a bottom shelf as well. I do have a second piece of oak just like the one use for the top....

I think a shelf wouldn't look right on a table of that design. Is it all glued up? How is your top attached?

Adding just about anything is tough after glue up, but breadboard ends I think would work and make the top more proportioned.

In the pictures, the top is just sitting there. Top will be attached with corner blocks. A slotted hole at each corner. Maybe a rounded corner on the bread boards?

Got a few more things done...SDC11924.jpggot rid of the saw marks, added some molding...SDC11925.jpg added some corner blocks, these will be used to attach the top as well, and also worked on the top itself..SDC11928.jpgSDC11929.jpg Still a few things to do. Need to find my block plane to bevel that molding. Bread boards still need to be fastened in place, as well as the top. A light stain to set off the grain in this little table.

A look at the "Finished" table:SDC11959.jpgA light stain, and a couple coats of varnish.

Perhaps I'm too late. I was thinking about a rustic looking inlay on the top. Something small.
    Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Steven my wife fell in love with it. She wants one and I told her unless I can use Paint n Patch it's not happening. Nice simple table
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

chop off the long leg stretchers and raise those to the side.

is the top moldy?