Thread: Staining and waxing pine bunk beds

Staining and waxing pine bunk beds

Hi - Looking for some advice on staining and waxing pine bunk beds I have made. I want an "old pine" look and am considering using a "teinte positive" (French - meaning positive shade))which is designed to accentuate the contrast of the wood veining. Has anyone had any experience of using this on furniture - it is mostly used here on wood floors and wall panelling but have tried on a test piece and the effect with a wax finish looks good. Any advice appreciated.

Wax is not very protective and will need to be maintianed on a regular basis.

Shellac in a orange/amber, caramel or garnet color may be a great alternative.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

While Scott is correct that wax is not protective relative to things like standing spills, etc., it's still a very nice finish for something you want just patina. The cherry desk I made my wife back in 1998 is finished in BLO and wax. It's been rewaxed three times since then...and still looks like new.

So Martin, if you like the look of the teinte positive was you have chosen, I see no reason not to use it on your bunk beds. They are not generally subjected to standing water/liquid and it's very easy to repair any dings that might come about from use by, umm....spirited...occupants.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shellac rubs out very nicely, so you might consider shellac-ing and then rubbing out with pastewax and 4x0 Steel wool. Your finish will feel like butter!

Thanks for your advice Scott and Jim - will post the results when complete