Thread: Convertible Workbench Advice Needed

Convertible Workbench Advice Needed

Hi,

One of the things I do for fun is make hand hewn wooden bowls with hand tools. To do that, I need a workbench (around 18" x 54") and a 12" tall platform for using an adze to hollow out the bowl (around 12" x 48").

Since the adze platform doesn't get used much and is smaller than the workbench, I want to build a workbench that can be converted into an adze platform with minimal effort. The structure will have three separate parts.

Bottom - The bottom section will serve double duty as the base of the workbench and as the adzing platform. It will be a very heavy, solid, rectangular box - 11" high x 12" wide x 54" long.

Middle - The middle section will be a very short frame for the workbench - 18" high x 12" wide x 54" long. When sitting on the base, it the top of the frame will be 29" off the ground. The legs (4 x 4s) will be connected by three sets of stretchers:
    1. One set of upper end stringers - flush with the bottom of the legs
    2. One set of lower end stringers - flush with the top of the legs
    3. One set of side stringers - 6" up from the bottom of the legs.

Top - The top section is a plain workbench top - 3" thick x 18" wide x 60" long giving me a 32" high working surface.

The top will be secured to the frame with 1" removable dowels in the center of the upper stringers. My current bench is secured this way and it works fine.

My concern is securing the frame to the base. The idea is to use removable 1" dowels for that as well, but to use three on each end - one in each leg and one in the center of the lower stringers. The question is whether that is enough to hold. The workbench needs to be rigid enough to withstand the significant lateral force (planes, spokeshaves, gouges, and mallets) that is required for doing the work.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Steve

Steve,

Sounds to me like you have your answer from your own experience! Post some pics!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.