Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter Lathe Questions

Starter Lathe Questions

First I think I may want to appologize for jumping in on my first post with this sort of question set, but here goes anyway....as I think I may have discovered "The Place."

I sort of have a hankering for a small lathe. I definately am not in the market for a full-sized lathe as I simply have no room for such a beast and really no desire for one.

So here is what I currently have on my Christmas list. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rikon 70-100 lathe, 14" swing, 16" between centres.
    Rikon metal stand

Sorby intermediate 6-tool set (on sale at Woodcraft)
    3/8" bowl gouge
    1/2" round nose scraper
    1/8" parting tool
    3/8" spindle gouge
    3/4" oval skew
    3/4" roughing gouge

Bionic face shield
    Pen mandrel #2MT
    Caliper set

All this stuff at Woodcraft....the accessories are 20% off with the Rikon lathe purchase (at least I hope all these accessories qualify for that additional discount).

I have also considered the Jet variable speed lathe of slightly smaller size but at least $100 more.

Project wise, right now I have some small tool handle projects (firesteels with fancy wood handles using pen blanks probably), possibly a round "box" (match box) with plug lid and likely a duck call from a kit to start and likely more done without a kit. After these spindle projects I will likely move to small bowls maybe up to about 6-8" or so.

Last time I turned was in 7th grade woodshop.....4 decades ago.

I am getting the Sorby tool set rather than individual tools as it is currently $200 for the set at Woodcraft down from over $300. Any other tools brands types recommendations etc would be appreciated. I was looking at about 4 tools as my minimum but all together they were more than this set on sale. Roughing gouge, spindle gouge or spindle master, parting tool and skew or skewchigouge were my choices.

I am not springing for a chuck right now, but it will likely be something I buy fairly soon. I will likely have to buy a grinder before that though.

I searched thorough this forum over the past couple of days and tried to read all I could find on the Rikon lathe. I see that it had mixed reviews when introduced in ~2006...but seems to have had better QC lately. I have not had the time to dig through all other smaller lathe threads to see if I may have missed a real gem though.

Power tool work is not my area of woodworking, hand tools and carving are my joys, so this venture into the corded world is also new.

So anything missing, anything wrong, anything way out of whack?

Thanks. And thanks for this forum....it looks to be a wealth of info.
    Last edited by Randy Schaffer; 12-11-2008 at 3:17 PM.

Sounds like you've given this a lot of thought. I am totally jealous of your Christmas list. I think you've got everything in order.

Personally, I might spring for the Jet VS over the Rikon if only for the VS. It's really wonderful to adjust the speed without stopping the lathe and changing belts.

I think you're right about the grinder then chuck. I hand sharpened my tools the first 6 months of turning. I learned a lot about sharpening, but I now have a rotator-cuff problem.

Ordinarily I'd suggest cheaper tools to start, since we spend the first few months making them smaller while learning to sharpen. But since you are a hand-tool type, I'm assuming you've already forgotten more about sharpening than I'll ever know.

Other thoughts for the list:

Abrasives: sand paper, micro mesh, etc. You'll want a variety of grits up to at least 220. I routinely sand to 600g now, and often 800 or 1200. Some folks polish up to 2000.

Finishes: Friction finish (fast but not durable), CA (durable, but a nuiscance to apply IMO), Oil (Tung, Boiled Linseed aka BLO, etc.), Polyurethane(wipe on or spray), poly-crylic, etc, etc.

Pen Kits: Pick a style and buy them in the 10-pack (save a few$) Get good at one stlye, then pick another.

Dust Control: Do you have a method for cleaning up your shavings? A lathe makes shavings faster than about anything else.

I'm sure others will have more valuable input, but those are my thoughts.

Lux
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Thanks Scott.

I first started looking at the small Carba-Tec lathe at PSI. Almost all my projects I have in mind to start, that lathe would likely satisy. I started to talking to a rather new turner of a workmate and he highly recommended I upsize for the future (he is wanting to upsize after only about a year from a General midi lathe).

I was also looking at PSI's inexpensive tools...Benjamin's Best.

I had a feeling that I would not be satisfied with low-end tools and would have to spring for better soon, so decided to start with the higher-end ones. I generally no longer invest in "starter" tools for my work. This might be crazy for something I know almost zero about....so any redirection in this area would be appreciated. I looked at the various house tools at Woodcraft, Lee Valley....Crown and Pinnacle and others and honestly other than the price tag I have nothing to point me along the right path. I have heard of Sorby....and they are offered at very good prices for this month in that 6-tool set, so that was my total decision.

As to sanding, finishing etc, I am going to fall back on my carving area for those at least to start. I have read about some various sanding tools for the lathe that I may explore later (spinning head things), and the various finishes are a bit daunting. I generally use flaxseed or walnut oil on my carved work. I will have to experiment in this area.

I am not much into pens, but may make some of those pencil holders mostly for small spindle practice.

Dust....is going to be an issue. I will put this lathe in my garage and a shop vac is my only current method of control....much easier with carved shaving

I am planning on turning right at the double car door entrance of the garage for as much ventilation as I can get...that should help push the dust to every corner of the garage and completely cover everything in it

Welcome Randy. Sounds like you have a plan. I have a Rikon lathe and like it a lot. It has taken every thing I have thrown at it so far. I just bought a Jet 1220 VS. I really like it especially when sanding. If I had known 3 yrs ago what I know now I would have gotten a good set of tools and of course the Jet 1220 wasn't around then but if it was I would have started with that one. With both you can turn up to a 11" bowl quite easily and some nice vase plus HF's. I am not sorry I bought the Rikon just getting lazy in my old age. As far as sanding I did it by hand for a couple of years. Now I use a cheap Harbour Freight 90 deg drill to sand. Finishes on small turnings I use mainly lacquer, pens I use CA glue and on large turnings mainly Minwax Antique Oil or General Finishes Seal-A-Cell followed by Arm-R-Seal. You might want to look into a slow speed grinder at woodcraft plus the wolverine jig for sharpening your tools. You need sharp tools when turning as you probably know from your carving. You mentioned face shield which is good. If you fall head over heels in love with turning the next item will probably be a bandsaw. I use mine to cut my own pen blanks, blanks for lidded boxes, ornaments, bottle stoppers, cutting bowl blanks round, etc. Just some food for thought.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 12-11-2008 at 4:33 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Only one problem I see and it might be a typo. I am pretty sure the Rikon you are thinking of is 12 x 16.

Alex

Alex is right it is 12" X 16".
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys....12x16 is right.

It looks like belt switches on it will not be too hard, but VS has a lot of appeal to me.

What is swaying me right now is the increased costs...including no discount on the accessories if I go with the Jet. That puts me out of budget for what I hope is only a minor not major difference in the lathes.

Unfortunately my budget is supposed to be ~$600 and with tax I am currently pushing $800. If I decide I cannot live without VS and go for the Jet I will have to wait for a sale.

I figured you'd have some sandpaper and finish, but I thought I'd mention it. I've heard very good things about walnut oil. That may be what you end up liking best anyway.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Randy - Welcome to the Creek! Lots of good advice so far! Looking forward to seeing photos of which ever lathe you decide on!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sounds like good list, just remember, next year at this time you'll be thinking, 1624, 1642, 3520, etc.,etc.,etc.!! A guy has to start somewhere! Have A Merry Christmas, Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Spaulding View Post
    Sounds like good list, just remember, next year at this time you'll be thinking, 1624, 1642, 3520, etc.,etc.,etc.!! A guy has to start somewhere! Have A Merry Christmas, Skip

Skip, my wife hopes not...

Thanks for the welcome too Steve. This looks like quite a nice resource. I appreciate all the assistance.

I think the best thing to do is find a wood turning guild in your area and talk to some of those guys. See if you can arrange to turn on a non VS and a VS. If you turn on both I am 95% sure you will rather wait however long it takes to get the extra cash for the VS. I have turned on a delta mini non VS and a VS and to me it is a world of difference.

You said you were purchasing a stand and I personally thing that is a mistake. I really think you are better off bolting it down to a table. They are pretty lightweight and they cost over 150$ usually. If you put your mind to it you could use a table you already have or get one off craigslist and bolt it down all for minimal cost but a lot more effort. That is what I did and I don't regret it at all. I am unsure but I think my lathe weights around 500 pounds and that really isn't enough for me. Your lathe with the stand your thinking of will only weigh a total of about 150 pounds and that isn't nearly enough. You could add on to it but its still not worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alex carey; 12-11-2008 at 6:30 PM. Reason: picture

I like that table setup. I so have a stainless steel table that is quite heavy and sturdy that I could use as a stand. It has a sheet metal top that I could easily adapt as you did with that heavy wood beam.

I will consider this...saves enough for the VS Jet too....hum. Under advisement. The only issue is I will not be able to move the lathe in my garage. That might be my biggest problem with the heavy table approach.

I have a workbench that I could just use for the lathe when needed but I sort of wanted to keep it clear....well as clear as my workbench ever is that is.

I have a couple of books showing sand-filled leg tables that would be another custom option...but certainly one that would take me some time.

These shots show some of the layout of my "shop". The stainless desk is over by the shop vac in the first shot. This is around the area I proposed to put the lathe (for storage), but with intention on moving it out into the center of the garage closer to the door to actually turn.

I have my drill press on the desk now with room for a grinder. If I went for a heavy stand I think it would be best to custom build it for the lathe. I would likely move it closer to the door and keep it on the edge of the car bay.

I am sort of liking that idea now. But what do you all think about using these rolling drawer units with a solid top for a stand? I really had not considered that at all.

Last edited by Randy Schaffer; 12-11-2008 at 7:08 PM.

Randy,
    Suggest serious consideration of the VS lathe. Beginning turners generally want/need slower spindle speeds until they get some experience. Add to that the fact that the slowest speed on many small lathes is too fast for, say, roughing an 8" bowl (for beginning turners). Even after I "upgraded" to an EVS lathe I turned at slower speeds than the handy chart that came with the lathe. The EVS was very helpful. When power sanding on the lathe I "slow roll" it at 50 to 100 rpm.

With some experience, am now usually turning faster than the chart (when I happen to notice the tach). Just some thoughts.

BTW, when you get to the point of turning some bowls and carving them, you should have some really cool stuff to show us. Good luck.
    Richard in Wimberley