Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is a TEST----!!

This is a TEST----!!

Hi Folks,
    As mentioned, since this is a TEST and it is on the "honor" system, your total honesty is imperative. As you will see, the stakes are very high and I would only entrust this challenge to the moral "high ground" trod ONLY by woodworkers.

There are two questions:
    1: What is the MAJOR power tool which will used on this project?
    2: Who is the manufacturer of this power tool?

For this post ONLY, I have exceeded my famous reputation as a generous, benevolent philanthropist and have donated ALL of the prizes! Am I a great human being - or what?

For The GRAND PRIZE - are you sitting down? - I have arranged for the lucky winner to receive the fifty gallons of sawdust which I recently removed from my DC!! In addition, the lucky winner will receive the SUPER, EXTRA HEAVY DUTY CONTRACTOR'S 3 MIL PLASTIC BAG containing the Grand Prize. Folks, this bag is LOADED!! It even comes with its own custom fitted twistem!!
    The WINNER need only pay for the UPS overnight shipping charges.

The SECOND PRIZE is only a MINOR step below the GRAND PRIZE!! It is the HERNIA which my garbage man experienced when he tried to load the GRAND PRIZE in its first container!! I will cover the shipping on THIS prize.

The THIRD PRIZE may be the greatest of all. It is a ten-toed full-blown case of TOENAIL FUNGUS!! This is also courtesy of our garbage man. The first bag broke and he had some Purpleheart chips fall on his feet. (I LOVE Purpleheart). Again, no shipping charges will apply to this PRIZE.

Please check the pictures below and after I have had the time to review the jillions of responses to this contest, I will post the answer. That is just one more examples of my incredible generosity.

Check down a few posts to see the pics that I messed up on in THIS post! Sorry!

Dale T.
    Last edited by Dale Thompson; 06-08-2004 at 11:09 PM.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey! Wow Dale, You are the best. What was the question
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

The answers are:
    1) Paddy Wagon
    2) Built by Ford

Primary present day use: Guys in white coats giving "pleasure rides" to folks who've been "out in the sun" for too long.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

That's good John

With Friends Like You Folks ------??

OK. Here are the pics which I botched up on. What do you expect of an old brain-dead codger like me?? C'mon, guys. Try to be nice.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Well, the project appears to already be complete and you're using "will be used on this project", telling me it's a bench *for* a tool. A long bench for a power tool might very well be for a lathe. I know you're a fan of PM, but they don't have that small a lathe, so I'll try to keep that part "in the family" and say a Jet, probably their mini lathe. (The small wheels used to tilt and transport indicate that it probably wouldn't be a very large lathe.) Am I even close?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Hmmmm!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Well, the project appears to already be complete and you're using "will be used on this project", telling me it's a bench *for* a tool. A long bench for a power tool might very well be for a lathe. I know you're a fan of PM, but they don't have that small a lathe, so I'll try to keep that part "in the family" and say a Jet, probably their mini lathe. (The small wheels used to tilt and transport indicate that it probably wouldn't be a very large lathe.) Am I even close?
    Hi Spring,
    You are VERY close. I can't, however, ship out the GRAND PRIZE (FOB Peshtigo, WI) until I check out your references. So far they are not looking all that good!? You must have had some help (from your daughter, perhaps?). Cheeseheads just ain't that smart!

Dale T.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Hi Spring,
    You are VERY close. I can't, however, ship out the GRAND PRIZE (FOB Peshtigo, WI) until I check out your references. So far they are not looking all that good!? You must have had some help (from your daughter, perhaps?). Cheeseheads just ain't that smart!

Dale T.
    Hey, hold on there, Mr. Peshtigo! My daughter is a true-blue cheesehead, too, so you best watch what you say! She's liable to come up there, complete with rocking chair and squish that tail o' yours!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Well,-----------

Thanks for the offer Dale, and the drawing. But in order to prevent a HERNIA on this end of the world, I think I'll pass and not register for your drawing.
    I'll just keep my present system blowing my sawdust outside.
    NO BAGS TO DRAG!!!
    Steve

ok, if it's for a lathe, that will explain the holders on the right hand end of the bench(?), but what are the cute little peggies on the left end? that's a nice paint job btw, and is that black formica on the top? hm, whirly thing would move too much on formica....
    I'm really thinking here dale, I've wanted 50 gals of purpleheart sawdust for so long.....I just can't tell you.

Pat, do you really expect Dale to know what those pegs are for? He probably just saw them on a website somewhere.

David, who thinks round is for dowels

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Salter
    ok, if it's for a lathe, that will explain the holders on the right hand end of the bench(?), but what are the cute little peggies on the left end? that's a nice paint job btw, and is that black formica on the top? hm, whirly thing would move too much on formica....
    I'm really thinking here dale, I've wanted 50 gals of purpleheart sawdust for so long.....I just can't tell you.

Blog Entries

Creative

Of all the underhanded stealth gloats I've seen, I think this one takes the cake. Apparently someone is getting a new tool and couldn't wait for it to show up for a real gloat, so he had to post a stealth gloat and even offer a prize if we figure it out what he's getting. Pretty sneaky.......

I'll also pass on the various prizes, I could contribute some of those myself.

Good luck with the new tool. Personally I'd send it back and get some thing that has fewer optional accessories and aftermarket whiz bang devices that can be bolted on it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The Winner Is ---

WELL -- Let's put it this way. Pat had me in tears over his plea for the purpleheart chips. What could I do but honor his miserable blubbering for the GRAND PRIZE?? Get out the checkbook, Pat, UPS Overnight is NOT cheap!!

Spring's references didn't check out at all! The only responses I got on him were from the FBI, the CIA, the KGB and the Cub Scouts.

Steve passed on the opportunity of a lifetime. Hey, Steve, the Ship of Opportunity may only pass by once. Whatever, I respect your "Dark Ages" decision.

Lee, you're far too nice of a person to get involved in a scam such as this. You have my highest respect - but no PRIZE!

Tyler wins the phenomenal SECOND PRIZE!! CONGRATULATIONS TYLER!!! My reasoning and that of my 500 person staff is that Tyler is MY KIND of GUY!! He didn't understand the question!? Man, can I identify with THAT!!!

David's intuition gets him our THIRD PRIZE!! Even though I am a very sensitive person and am deeply hurt by the slightest insult, David gets the prize. Regardless of my personal sensitivity, I must recognize talent when I see it. Am I a great guy - or what??

Check the pics below and congratulate yourselves on the treasures which you are about to receive!???

Dale T.

Hey Dale, indulge me if you will: Noting the rest of the pics, can we safely assume this little toy is not even located at your "permanent" residence, but rather, at your retreat home? As in, at the cabin, perhaps? I note that in the background, I see a Polaris snowmobile cover and what looks like the tail end of a golf cart. You've got a real nice shop at your home, so I'm guessing this little jewel will help take care of some of the woodchip cravings when away from your big shop. Come on....Tell me I'm close!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Right On All Counts!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hey Dale, indulge me if you will: Noting the rest of the pics, can we safely assume this little toy is not even located at your "permanent" residence, but rather, at your retreat home? As in, at the cabin, perhaps? I note that in the background, I see a Polaris snowmobile cover and what looks like the tail end of a golf cart. You've got a real nice shop at your home, so I'm guessing this little jewel will help take care of some of the woodchip cravings when away from your big shop. Come on....Tell me I'm close!
    Hey Spring,
    YOU get the next bag of chips. Behind the Polaris is an Arctic Cat Pantera. The Polaris is a 700 cc Sport rocket which belongs to my wife. The Pantera is a 550 cc Touring machine. She has a top end of about 40 mph over mine. So much for old age. The golf cart is NOT for golf. It is the main means of transportation in our sub-division up north. Everyone has one or more. I gave up golf about twenty-five years ago when I got a Hole-In-One at Fox Hills Country Club in Mishicot. The challenge was gone!

On a more seriious note, I REALLY like the VS Jet mini. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but I've turned some 2" Oak with absolutely NO chatter!

One other thing, the tools on the rack are the $40 eight-piece set from Harbor Freight. I'm impressed! They hold an edge far better than I would have expected. The parting tool is a bit wider that I prefer but that can be remedied. The skews took the "heavy" grinding required for the "Raffan Radius" much better than I thought they would - no burning or temper removal that I could detect. The scrapers seem to hold a "wire" edge as well as some of my far more expensive stuff. If a beginner were to just add a 3/8" bowl gouge, they should be all set to learn. Since sharpening is argueably the most important part of turning, this would be a GREAT investment for those beginners. Grind and Burn a $5 chisel as opposed to a $75 chisel like I did. On the other hand, very few people are as stupid as I am!! Facts are facts!!

Dale T.