Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Brass Rod on Table Saw - possible?

Question Cutting Brass Rod on Table Saw - possible?

I picked up some 1/4" brass rod that I want to use for shelf supports. Is it possible to cut it on the table saw or even perhaps the bandsaw? I've cut aluminum on the table saw before, but never brass. My assumption is that it shouldn't be a problem, just wondering if anyone has ever done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    I picked up some 1/4" brass rod that I want to use for shelf supports. Is it possible to cut it on the table saw or even perhaps the bandsaw? I've cut aluminum on the table saw before, but never brass. My assumption is that it shouldn't be a problem, just wondering if anyone has ever done it.
    yes you can jason i have cut brass flat stock or banding with a carbide blade just not ususal
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Jason,

An alternate solution to using your table saw or band saw would be to purchase a cheap set of bolt cutters (Master Key) from HF or Northern Tools. Cutting round stock and even flat bar with bolt cutters then dressing the end on a bench grinder is safer and will save you a bundle over the years. A large set of bolt cutters can be purchased for $29.00 and will save a thousand in blades over the life of the cutter.

Jason, if you have an old blade, why not do it on the bandsaw? That would be my second choice, my first choice for a cut like this would be a hacksaw.

Be sure to hold the rod with a drill press vise, clamp or something, don't do it "freehand".
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Jason, if you have an old blade, why not do it on the bandsaw? That would be my second choice, my first choice for a cut like this would be a hacksaw.

Be sure to hold the rod with a drill press vise, clamp or something, don't do it "freehand".
    Bruce, I don't know why I didn't think of the hacksaw ? I guess I'm focused on a clean flat cut. I went to the table saw or bandsaw thought first. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jason,

I saw in a recent issue of either WOOD or AW the use of metal inserts for shelf supports. Basically, you push in the insert into the hole in the cabinet and then you put in the shelf support. It is supposed to be a cleaner look (if the cabinet is plywood) and supposed to help the hole in the wood keep its round shape longer.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    An alternate solution to using your table saw or band saw would be to purchase a cheap set of bolt cutters (Master Key) from HF or Northern Tools. Cutting round stock and even flat bar with bolt cutters then dressing the end on a bench grinder is safer and will save you a bundle over the years. A large set of bolt cutters can be purchased for $29.00 and will save a thousand in blades over the life of the cutter.
    Another suggestion I never thought about. But, believe or not, I don't have a bench grinder. Yes I know, it's one of those woodworking 101 tools. I just never got around to buying one.

P.s,... Use a belt or disk sander to dress up the pins. Brass, like aluminum will load up a grinding wheel.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Jason, I saw in a recent issue of either WOOD or AW the use of metal inserts for shelf supports. Basically, you push in the insert into the hole in the cabinet and then you put in the shelf support. It is supposed to be a cleaner look (if the cabinet is plywood) and supposed to help the hole in the wood keep its round shape longer.
    Chris, that's a great idea that I've done before on my <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5967" TARGET="_blank">cherry side table</A></EM></font>. I was going to do this again on this project, but I didn't due to the amount that would be needed. But I highly, highly recommend this method for most applications. It leaves a real nice finished look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    P.s,... Use a belt or disk sander to dress up the pins. Brass, like aluminum will load up a grinding wheel.
    Sweet! Now that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Chris, that's a great idea that I've done before on my cherry side table</EM></FONT>. I was going to do this again on this project, but I didn't due to the amount that would be needed. But I highly, highly recommend this method for most applications. It leaves a real nice finished look.
    Nice...just revived that thread!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

another possibility Jason...

I often use the bandsaw to cut brass rod, using a wood support block (think of a piece of 1X4 10 inches or so long. I even put a stop block (glued or clamped to the 1X4) to control the length of the cut...put the brass rod in front of the 1X4 and feed into the band saw (stock is fully supported from behind)...you only have to extend the cut past the rod, so there is only a small kerf into the support block (you don't cut all the way through). Consistent square cuts of uniform length result. To dress the end, I check the cut brass lengths into a chuck on drill press or lathe, and dress with a mill file. Cleaning the file with a file card as needed. Sandpaper can get chewed up pretty quick...

Roger

Jason, I vote for the old hacksaw. For this thickness it should be real easy and you won't damage any of your power tools or skip any heart beats. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Thanks for all the advice!

Guys, Guys, Guys - everyone missed the point.

This is the perfect opportunity for Jason to justify a new tool.

Seriously though, I picked up one of the "under $200" 4"x6" horizontal metal-cutting import bandsaws. It has already paid for itself several times in terms of ease of cutting metal stock. If you see any possibility of cutting metal stuff in the future, think about it. Even though the max rated capacity for round stuff is 5", I'll be able to easily cut 6" DC pipe by securing the pipe on top of the vise.

Rob