Thread: Grizz vs PM

Grizz vs PM

Hello all, I would like your help picking an 8" Jointer. Both are used, first is a five year old, G1018HW Grizzly 8" jointer with Byrd shelix cutterhead, motor, upgraded to a 3HP Lesson motor and new bearings price $600.
    The second is a PowerMatic 60B one year old, 8" with three knife cutterhead and 2HP motor, price $1000.
    Which one would you pick? Is the PM worth $400 more?
    Thanks
    Ed

I'd definitely get the Griz. With that cutterhead you're likely to get a better cut, and still save some money.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

If you're referring to the one in the deals section, the CL ad has been removed, gotta move fast on any great deals. The PM still seems like a good deal considering it retails for $1800 on Amazon. Staying in the same ballpark you can get a Grizzly G0490X for $1200 delivered.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi Edward,
    I owned a PM 60B and thought it was a good machine. It was made in Taiwan and appeared well made: solid CI, good F&F, 2hp was plenty of juice. I had a chance to sell it at a good price and I moved up to the Griz 12" 0609X. I was able to shop at a Griz showroom and compare the varoius models and it seems that the Griz quality is the same(better??) than other off shore brands, PM included. If you have the chance to pick up a spiral head machine go for it. Mine cuts significantly better than my PM 60B did. I would consider buying a new Griz with spiral CH before buying a used PM or other straight blade jointer even if the price is attractive. I have several Griz machines and am very pleased with them all. Good hunting. JCB.

Generally speaking I'd go with either Delta or Powermatic before Grizzy, better machines and generally better resale. A lot of guys on here seem to be happy with their Grizzly machines though, so ultimately you'll have to make up your own mind.
    Like another poster mentioned, if it's a good deal, you probably won't have time to stop and ask someone. Know what you want and how much it's worth before you start shopping.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Go for the Grizzly. It is a much better deal. The cutterhead and the motor alone are worth almost $600.

Two years ago, you could buy the 60B from Tools-Plus in CT for $1100. Now they are selling it for $1300. $1000 is not much of a price drop compared to what it sold for new.

The 60B is a very nice planer, and does have a 72" bed (vs the grizzly 65"). If you like mustard yellow....

Or you could buy a new Grizzly G0593 8" jointer with spiral cutterhead for $1097 delivered. It has a 75" bed...

Thank you all for your comments.
    I bought the Grizzly with Shelix head. Its in my garage/shop. The base was modified with a large hole cut in the side to allow the 3HP motor to extend out beyond the cabinet. I addition the ON/OFF switch was removed and installed in a outdoor electric box that was mounted on a iron plumbing pipe. This pipe rises vertically and makes the switch location very convenient .
    Now all I need is some wheels to move this brute around.
    Any Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Ed

3hp on an 8" jointer is a bit of OVERKILL. I suspect the original Grizz motor bit the dust and perhaps this 3hp was already on hand or cheap. Too bad they had to do surgery to fit the motor to the base. In any event, you got your moneys worth with the Shellix head. Enjoy your old/NEW Grizz!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!