Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the DeWalt TrackSaw?

Anyone tried the DeWalt TrackSaw?

The DeWalt TrackSaw, as advertised on this forum, looks interesting. Has anyone tried it? Anyone designed a stand to turn it into a panel saw - or does it already have such an accessory?

I second the question: will it make a good panel saw.

The price, though, isn't a laughing matter---.

i've have http://www.eurekazone.com/index.html and use it regularly to cut down sheet good. having not used the dewalt i don't have a good comparison of the two. the dewalt looks very similar to the ez system from eureka zone. the ez system will allow you to use your existing circular saw which cuts down on the price. eurekazone also has its own following under the mfg forums here.

I've been using homemade guides with PC saws for over 30 years and do not see the need for something like this. In fact I see advantages, besides price to making your own. Its a gimmick.

The concept is more than a gimmick. The quality of the cut can be significantly greater on the dedicated saw/track combination. I have the Festool and because of the "zero clearance" strip on the track, and attachment on the saw, I get saw cuts on plywood that are at least as good, smooth and tear-out free, as on my Unisaw. I haven't seen the DeWalt--I'm not sure they are actually available on this side of the pond yet.

Rockler sent me a DVD about it - I watched it, and from what I saw, I don't think I'd pay more than about $150 for it (even if I were in the market for a track saw). It looked cheap, mostly plastic, and not especially more handy than a homebuilt jig.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen the saw, these are just my impressions from watching DeWalt's promotional DVD.

I own a corded dewalt track saw (contest tool I won). As tracksaws go, I have only used it and the TS55 Festool. The Dewalt is not better but still awesome. No problems with mine yet breaking down oak plywood.

I have played with a few ideas for it as a panel saw and really think I need the 108" track to make it work the way I want. May be cheaper to just buy a used panel saw in the long run though if you do not win the tracksaw and probably safer to do so as well.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    We were posting at the same time.

Here's my take FWIW....

As far as I know this is the only track system that comes with a track longer than 75". This is the only feature that intrigues me other than the saw's ability to cut very near flush when cutting doors on the hinges [which I rarely do].

I have an 8' level that is straight as an arrow and I clamp it on my work 1.5" away from the cut line. Used it all day today on a cabinet job where I have set up shop in the lady's house [unoccupied of course] and my cuts are right on the money.

I have been very unimpressed with any other system and I have tried a couple of them. Any system where the tracks are assembled together with screws is a joke on the jobsite. I have one [won't tell ya which one], but the tracks were put together the first day I had it and immediately the screws extruded the aluminum track. I decided to keep it as a straight edge, but noticed not too long afterwards that when looking down the edge that it was not only bent in the middle, but the bend was enough to allow for a 1/16" diffference from end to end. Completely unacceptable for a straight line cut. I still have the set but it is only the two tracks at this point and they are gathering huge dust in the rafters.

I use the level and the saw I have rides against it with no issues and provides a perfectly straight cut. It dosen't take any more time to set up than the over $200 tracks I have tried in the past. I paid $45 for the level and the saw I use is a Hitachi that I paid $98 for.

I wanted the set that I found back in 2000 where the guide was a 109" straight piece and the saw base ran on bearings, but waited too long and it got discontinued for a two piece that replaced it. After trying the other one that was two piece and finding the flaws, I got the idea for trying the 8' level instead of wasting money on another flawed system.

Thank you for the link to the threads, Mike. That was a thorough review.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    Here's my take FWIW....

As far as I know this is the only track system that comes with a track longer than 75". This is the only feature that intrigues me other than the saw's ability to cut very near flush when cutting doors on the hinges [which I rarely do].
    Kelly,

Festool has been making rail-guided saws and rails for years. They sell rails ranging from 32" to 197": http://www.festoolusa.com/products/g...00-491500.html.

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

If you cannot find the dewalt Tracksaw, hit up a Festool dealer for a TS55 demo. They are pretty common. You will love that setup as well. Cost about the same.

Yeah I know....I didn't know they came that long....I even looked on the website before posting but I guess I didn't drill down far enough, I only saw the 75" listed. I did see the price though and had to chuckle. Imagine spending $500 on just a rail....must be nice to be able to do that. Us workin' folk just can't justify a cost like that when I can get the same result from a $48 level.

That said, the one piece rails are definitely better than those that have to be assembled to length. Glad to see someone is making them right these days.

For the same money, I would likely want to see the Festool before buying the DeWalt.