Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Accomplishments....

Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another weekend has come and gone.

I didn't spend any time in the shop due to the In-Laws visiting from out of state. Nice family visit weekend and I hope to get some pen turning done the next week or so.

So what did you do over the weekend?

Best of weeks....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I didn't get much shop time, either. But I built one of those Eurekazone table tops: a 2'x4' piece of ply with a bunch of sacrificial 1"x3"s on sliders. I'll need to be trying it out with the Festool ATF soon. It's nice and compact.

- Ed

Took a Deere for a test ride Friday and decided that was the ticket for us, so waiting on that to come. Saturday, I had a fellow woodworker drop by for a nice visit, primarily to check out my Laguna 16HD. Spent some time just talking shop, equipment and techniques and then, we sliced up a couple boards he brought along. His parting words were,(slightly paraphrased) "Guess I'll be calling Larry to order that one instead of the LT16. Aw heck...It's only about $1600.00 more than I originally planned on!" That bright, round thing in the sky showed up long enough for me to get my hayfie.....errrrrrr.....grass cut. Started milling up the rough-cut Aspen I have for shelving project in garage. Sunday, believe it or not, got the bulk of the one side done, including a "shelf" for @400 brd/ft. of Cherry, which is now finally up off the floor. Some more shelves for misc. I figure a couple more healthy days out there and it should be whipped into shape. Even managed to turn a few more pens for the FPP. Hope everyone has a great and safe week!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Friday night I framed in a new window in my shop. I only had one 4x3ish window and added a second window 3x5. It started as a project to install a window air conditioner and evolved into a whole window. Satuday morning we bought a new Ford Freestar for my wife. Couldn't pass up $7000 in rebates on top of my dad's Ford retiree discount. Saturday afternoon we started framing a wall in our basement to divide the mechanical/storage side from the "play" side. Sunday I cut the hole for the window, installed it, and redid the siding. Then I mowed grass and raked up the worst of the cuttings before thoroughly cleaning the shop. Oh, and I put the air conditioner in the new window. I'll probably have to get a new ac thought as the one I have is only 8000 BTUs for a 30x32x12 shop.

Someday I hope to actually make something out there.

I spent some serious time on the computer working on the garage remodel. It was a lot of fun creating models to fit into the shop.

Running up the left side of the garage: MM20 bandsaw, Delta drill press, FS-41 Elite 16" J/P, Router table, table saw, dryer, washer, sink.

Around the little niche in back is the water heater, furnace, and tool chest.

Down the right side is my workbench and the blue block is my water softener.

I still need to put in the dust collector and air compressor along with cabinets, wood storage, perhaps another bench and other miscellaneous things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Adjusting to East Coast Time.

I got back early Saturday morning from my Vegas trip.. Funny, the only thing I remember is a Rhino room . You know what they say.. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. I sure hope so !!

I spent Saturday afternoon scrimmaging with my daughters soccer team. Afterwards had the opportunity to unpack some presents from Rockler, Amazon, and Woodpeck that had been sitting for 1 week or so. Also, was able to check on the MM16. It has made it to Connecticut and is sitting in the terminal. Yee Haw

Sunday was spent at soccer again and spent a little time on an attempt at completing the DJ-20 assembly. It looks like Delta is FUBAR. The carriage assembly they sent me is worse than the original. It is not square and will not sit flush on the jointer. And it is a different color. I'm trully disappointed with Delta and their quality control.

Soccer is done this weekend and I will finally have time for the shop. Amen !!

Have a great week
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Here is what I posted on Lasley's "Weekend Doings" thread:

1. Cut the lawn, --- accomplished
    2. Moderate and have a BL, --- accomplished
    3. Fill Kit orders for Monday shipments, --- accomplished
    4. Moderate and have a BL, --- accomplished
    5. Rough out some spalted maple bowl blanks, --- accomplished
    6. Moderate and have a BL, --- accomplished
    7. Prep some more pen blanks, --- accomplished
    8. Moderate and have a BL, --- accomplished
    9. Answer 329 e-mails (seems like that many), --- accomplished
    10. Moderate and have a BL, --- accomplished
    11. Shoot the neighbor's dog, --- accomplished
    12. Moderate and have a BL, --- accomplished

In addition I managed to make a small spalted maple goblet. I also managed to make a run on the store to replenish the BL stock .

NOW ANOTHER WEEK BEGINS AND I AM ALREADY TIRED ! !
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Chris,

What milling steps do you use the washer and dryer for? Or is that really an extra assembly table?

I clean dirty wood in the washer and dry it in the dryer--a mini-kiln!

Sadly, basements are kinda rare in California. I grew up with one in Colorado where all the HVAC/W&D crap is in the basement where it belongs. I do have thoughts about putting a nice shelf/countertop riding right on top of the W&D to use as such!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I got some time in the shop working on a corner bar cabinet. I also started to rebuild my above the table saw planer stand to accept the Ridgid planer I bought last week on clearance. It is quite abit bigger then the one it relaced. My progress was delayed as I need to build a different dust collection hood for it and do some ducting work. At first glace, it appears to be a nice planer.

The typical yard working and miscellaneous "To Do's".
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Smile

I finally declared my shop revamping of storage space complete (till I do more of it, of course). So here are some pix of a couple of drawer units, and doors for remade wall cabinets. Testing out new tools was on the agenda for these various projects. The drawer fronts and doors are Paduak. I will be interested to see if they brown out since there is no sun in the basement shop.
    The fastener cabinet has 96 drawers, nuts, screws, etc. and was purchased at a flea market; had been a machinist's.

Now I can get back to serious work. Started on a garden bench commission on Sunday, of Paulowinia, with a Japanese stype to it. And, for my bride, am finishing up a shaker bedside table of Bolivian Roseood, with a lacewood top, cock and quirk beaded in ebony, with a holly and walnut inlay strip on the drawer. These are traditional Shaker materials. Really. I'll post it when the finishing is complete.

As you can see, while the tools are put away, I did not clean up the shop for these pix.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Turner; 06-14-2004 at 3:01 PM.

Saturday was spent playing with and taking care of my three kids (seven year old son and the 9 month old twins) while my wife was at a wedding shower. Sunday was spent at Paragon ATV Park in Hazleton, PA, with my FIL and some other male members of my wife's family. We had a great time! I even managed NOT to kill myself while attempting stuff like you see below. Those things beat the crap outta ya (especially this place. LOTSA rocks!). Can't wait to go back.

Keith

I cut up about 15 blanks, rough turned 5 bowls and finished two.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

Started on the 14 cedar windows for the 3 season addition, actually cedar frames to hide aluminum combo windows. Got everything ready to stain our log house, before I put the windows in. Caught some walleyes Sat evening. Played guitar & had a few with some friends on Sunday, grilled a pork loin.
    I used to just take it from day to day, and now I just take it till noon.

My weekend

I only made up three small ring boxes with sliding lids. Only one was purple hart. The other two were made out of cherry.