Thread: scrap wood projects!?

Lightbulb scrap wood projects!?

I want to see some folks' pictures of what you have done with scrap wood? I was playing around today in the shop with scraps... Sometimes just working with wood for the sake of doing it is fun! No project no plans just playing around.. I am making some small boxes. I will show you those maybe tommarow when I get them finished here are some cutting boards I made a while back from scrap wood. Lets see some pictures?
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Real beauties Chris, Thanks for sharing
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

This is a great idea for a thread Chris. I like what you have shown and I expect to get some good ideas from others.

I am always using scrap wood for some purpose or another, but I seldom make a complete item out of it. Attached is a photo of a (used) peice of cedar scrap that I cut into the spape of a fish for barbequing salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    This is a great idea for a thread Chris. I like what you have shown and I expect to get some good ideas from others.

I am always using scrap wood for some purpose or another, but I seldom make a complete item out of it. Attached is a photo of a (used) peice of cedar scrap that I cut into the spape of a fish for barbequing salmon.
    Sometimes I cut salmon in the shape of a cedar tree. It gives the tree a salmon flavor and my vegitarian guests will eat it since it doesn't look like a fish.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Neat?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow

Now thats interesting.. you cook the fish on the piece of wood?
    Chris
    Last edited by Christopher Pine; 06-12-2004 at 4:50 PM.

Boxes

Here are some pictures of the boxes I mentioned in the first message of this thread. I just put a coat of danish oil on so have a little more to do but you get the idea.
    The larger box is not exactly scrap wood entirely but the bottom you can see is made from glued up maple with cherry strips.. this is scrap. The handle on the lid is a piece of wenge.
    The smaller two boxes you can see what I did. The one has a strip of sycamore down the middle with very small accents strips of walnut them maple on the outer edge. The sycamore really looks nice and the picture does not do it justice. The lids are held on by use of rare earth magnets. these are great! What will these be used for? I have no idea... just was fun making them.. the langer small boxes could perhaps be used for school supplies pencils and even long enough for a ruler...
    Woodworking in many ways is an escape for me to keep my sanity.
    Hope to see more of you alls projects!?
    Chris Pine

scrap wood

I had a chance to grab a lot of commercial shelving and brackets out of a store that was doing a makeover and was going to toss the old stuff. I managed to shelve my entire shop and make a mitre saw work station and this potting table for my wife. I like to recycle wood and I will stop at any roadside rubbish pile and grab scraps and use them later, not exactly fine furniture making, but it's cheap and it works

my favorite wood

I love free wood I must say it is my fav orite kind! I have done similiar things like this with salvaged lumber and plywood.
    Nice job and I am sure your wife enjoys it.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Pine
    Now thats interesting.. you cook the fish on the piece of wood?
    Chris
    Yes.

You first soak the plank in water. Then you put the salmon on the plank and put it into the bbq but not directly over the coals (or not directly over a turned on burner should you be using gas). I can give you more explicit directions if you would like them -just ask.