Thread: Recommendations Needed For New Shop Equipment

Recommendations Needed For New Shop Equipment

4 years ago; I took terribly ill with an undiagnosed autoimmune system disease that attacked all of my joints, cartilidge and soft tissue in my ankles, knees, wrists and just about every joint in my body. The disease is very similiar to Lupus with symptoms of overall chronic fatigue and muscle weakness

The result of my illness caused my woodworking hobby came to a very abrupt halt and I have spent the better part of the last 3 years recuperating and I am now possess about 50% of the physical strength that I once had. I am soon to be 48 years old.

During my sickness; it appeared that I would never be able to return to woodworking as I was not able to stand for any sustained period of time.

Subsequently; I made the very difficult decision to sell my large power tool equipment that consisted of the following:

1. Jet 3 HP 10" left tilt cabinet table saw with 50" fence.
    2. Powermatic 14" Bandsaw with riser and Carter guide.
    3. Powermatic 6" longbed Jointer
    4. Powermatic 15" Planer
    5. Powermatic VS 17" Drill Press
    6. Jet Dust Collector
    7. Bench Dog Router Table

Along with the above large equipment floor equipment; all of the jigs, accessories, fences, mobile bases and router table lift was sold alongwith the equipment including my custom built workbench.

It sickens me to think about what I sold this equipment for given that it was always kept in showroom condition and very well maintained.

I did retain my PC router and all of my router bits along with all of my hand tools, chisels, carving tools, hand saws, some jigs, my HVLP sprayer and an absolute wealth of finishing equipment and finishing supplies. In fact I have enough finishing supplies to stock a WoodCraft retail store twice!

Alot has changed in the last 4 years regarding equipment and I will be the first to say that I have been out of the loop and am not familiar regarding the advancements that have been made regarding some of the above equipment that I now need to replace.

I was surpised to see that now Steel City and Rigid offers a table saw with a granite table surface as well as a jointer with a granite fence and I am wondering if the Rigid 1.75 HP Hybid table saw with the granite table surface at $600 is to good to be true?

I've also looked at the Steel City 3HP granite table top cabinet table saw with a 50" fence, but I am not familiar with the companys products. I wonder if it worth it for me to spend $1300 for a 3HP table saw given that my applications are just hobby related and would the $600 Rigid Hybrid saw do just as well?

The Festool Domino system and tool equipment seems to be well engineered pieces of gadgetry for simplified moritise and tenon work regarding joinery and I wonder if that is a piece of equipment worth considering as well as the Festoon Plunge circular saw?

Anyway; given that this is a purely a part time hobby for me and given the state of the current economy as well as my health; I cannot affford or justify going out and investing $10,000 all at one time to replace my old equipment with new Powematic equipment as I once had.

So with that said; I know that I am going to have to make some compromises and I would really appreciate any sound recommendations that anyone might be able to offer me regarding some reasonable priced shop equipment from any particular vendors that you yourself would purchase.

At first glance; I am attracted to the Rigid granite top hybrid table saw at $600 and would appreciate some feedback if anyone has this particular saw.

Secondly; I have an interest in the Festool Tool System. I know it's pricey, but the Domino is no more than the Lamello Biscuit Joiner and I would appreciate some feedback on the Festool tool products; particularly the Domino joiner and possibly some feedback on their router and planer.

In closing; I can no longer work in the large 20x30 garage during the winter months as my body cannot tolerate the cold weather. So my better half has given me her blessing to set-up my new wood working shop in the back of the basement and I will have an enclosed area that is approximately 15x15 and I need to take into account that I have a smaller area to set up my shop in and need to maximize the space accordingly.

So once again; I find myself in the market for the following items:

1. Table Saw
    2. Band Saw
    3. Drill Press
    4. Jointer
    5. Planer
    6. Router Table
    7. Work Bench
    8. Dust Extraction System

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated and I thank anyone in advance for taking the time to provide some much needed assistance.

best regards - Pete

Welcome to the creek. Sorry to hear about your illness but I am glad your starting to feel better.

I think this is a great time to start looking at used machinery. There is a glut of it on the market and its cheap.

Steel City IMO is a decent company. The tools are no better or worse than similar priced Delta, Jet or Grizzly. Steel City does have very good customer service.

The granite tops are new and seem to be trouble free. I have never had a problem with Cast Iron so granite doesnt really interest me.

I have a Festool Domino. Its a very high quality machine and I have not used my biscuit joiner since I got it. Loose tennons are so superior to biscuits.. I wish I had it years ago..
    Festool is just really well built, high quality tools. The prices are nuts but if you appreciate outstanding quality.. they are worth the price.

I think you would be well served to look for some good used machines. Check Craigslist or even the local paper...

Pietro,

Glad to hear you're up and around again.

A lot depends on how you use the tools, and what you build, but I decided a long time ago not to use a table saw. I had a similar situation in a small basement shop, only mine was only about 12x12. I went with a radial arm saw and it worked out great. I'm now in a 20x20 stand alone shop and I rely almost entirely on a bandsaw. I think both the bandsaw and radial arm saw take up a lot less room.

Again, it depends on how you're going to use the machines and what you're going to build, but I think a good 17-18" bandsaw with a good guided circular saw system is as good as having a table saw. You'll save money and room.

Good luck with your rehabilitation and your renewed ability to do woodworking.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Pietro,

I am glad to hear you're doing better health wise. Welcome back.

Well, things have changed... and not. A few new players and different types of equipment, but tools are still tools.

Since you mentioned Steel City, I'll give you my opinion. When you see the low price, there is a reason. The old adage "You get what you pay for" still applies today. If you were used to a Jet cabinet saw, you will find the SC a much lesser machine as it falls in the "Hybrid" class, which is where that granite topped unit falls. Pay very close attention to how the handles are attached, how the bevel angle locks, the weigth of the trunnion assembly and the like. The SC saw is a decent saw, AT ITS PRICE POINT. It was designed to be able to be offered at the price, so some trade offs were made. I point this out because you obviously have experience and were used to a Jet. In my opinion, the Jet is a better bargain, feature for feature. Like I have told others, it really depends upon your personal expectations as to whether you would be happy with the SC or not.

Again, welcome back to health and happy tool hunting!

Pete, I am awaiting delivery of a barely used Domino, just one of many tools I have purchased this year off craigslist. In searching there appears to be a dramatic increase in the availability of used tools - and I think we will see that continue through next year. So, the prices you see today in the used market will probably drop. Like others, I don't know what that will do to the retail market. One would think it would keep prices steady or lower them, but who knows.

I would encourage you to do Google advanced searches on craigslist for specific items. You can specify cities in the search line - for example - powermatic site:cincinnati.craigslist.org

That will let you search in surrounding metro areas that have craigslist databases. Or, on smaller items, you can search the entire craigslist.org.

More specific to your question, I have a friend that does a lot of cabinet work. He purchased the Festool TS 55 and says that using it with the guide system is the greatest thing he ever did to improve his shop. He uses it almost exclusively. I would have to agree that in a limited space, I would go with a nice bandsaw and the TS 55. I would think that would take care of 95% or your needs. Then find a friend with a table saw for the other 5%!!

Welcome.

To me it is a priority and cost justification situation that you are in. IMO you comment about only wanting to spend $600 for a tablesaw but you are looking at a $750-$1200 domino by the time you get dominos and the bits etc. Add in a $490 CT22 vaccum and a $475 TS55 - well you get my point. You can do woodworking with 100% Festool products most likely and have a blast doing it. I love my 150/3 sander.

Make a list of the big tools you want and the small tools you want. Also make a list of the projects you want to start on. Compare what it will take you to do each one.

One more opinion, if you like the quality of Festool-like tools (whatever you you base that level on), you will want the same quality in your other tools. Best to wait and buy the one you want to use rather than to settle and not use the tool because it is not the one you want. Buying as you go, and as you need them, and as the deals pop up, will build an EXCELLENT shop!

Follow the GREAT advice given above on craigslist and on used tools. My shop sure has reaped those deals time and time again.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Scott,

I'm surprised at the less than positive comments regarding Steel City equipment. Are your comments based upon personal experience or reviews by others. Im just curious since I'm currently considering one of their 8" jointers. All other research that I've done on the internet has produced positive results regarding their machinery.

Comments from others?

I have one Steel City tool. I think they are comparable to other brands in the same price range.

If you pay more, you get a heavier tool. If you pay less, you get a lighter one.

They arent good or bad, they are the same as every other Chiwaneses import tool in that price range.

Most important is the company. Steel City is miles above Delta in customer service. I expect they are trying to compete with Grizzly in CS but Papa Grizz has a big head start.

Steel city tries to offer a few features better on basically the same tool. My Edge sander has a 2hp x 12amp motor. Its the same edge sander sold by GI or Jet with a 1.5hp x 9 amp motor. Its a few more dollars.

I have a SC table saw and love it. The equipment is very good quality.
    5 year warranty is great to have also.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Welcome back

Welcome back to the world of woodworking.As your health continues to improve what wood projects do you wish to make? With a reduced shop and a bit less strength you may want to move to a slightly smaller set of projects. With this decided start shopping around for both used and new. Most of my tools are Delta but other brands will suit your needs well too.