Thread: Removing wall paper and glue residue

Removing wall paper and glue residue

Does anyone have a good way of removing wallpaper and the glue residue that is left behind. LOML wants to paint the bedroom and I have had limited success removing wallpaper.

Dave

Belive it or not

use fabric softener. I do not know the amount to dilute in water but it disolves the glue quickly.

I hope this helps
    Ken
    "And now for something completely different..."

Thanks Ken, I had never heard of that. I'll give it a try.

removing wallpaper

David there is a product called dif you can buy it at almost any store ,lowes home depot k mart ect.
    bob stotts
    good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment

Removing wall paper and glue residue

Dave,
    The fabric softener works but, if it is a vinyl paper you need to score it for the remover to penetrate it. They make a product called a "Paper Tiger" looks like a over size grinding wheel dresser. You can find it in the wallpaper dept. in any Big Box or Department store. It scores the paper but it does not damage the wall.
    Dave

Hot Water

Depending on the paste type used, VERY hot water will also work. As stated earlier, you will need to score Vinyl Paper, so the water will penetrate to the paper backing. It only takes enough to get the paper wet, a pump spray bottle set on the fine, almost mist setting, will do the job. A compression sprayer, (Like the kind you find in Lawn & Garden Deparments, for spraying herbicide/pesticide chemicals) will also work well. Some paper comes right off, and some will have you using the most colorful of language!

wallpaper remover

I'm kind of umm... frugal, and I've stripped a lot of wallpaper in the last year and never once regretted spending the money for DIF. It works nice

DIF works wonders! The scoring tool option didn't work for me, but I peeled off as much of the outer paper I could, then brushed and rolled on DIF gel (much easier to keep on the walls!) After 20-30 minutes, I used a scraper and all the backing paper & glue almost fell off on it's own. Good Luck, not a fun job to do, but worth it. I hate wall-paper!!!!! Joe

Several have the right idea...

..warm water in a pump sprayer. Several additives are available to add to the water. They make a little device that scores the paper to let the solution penetrate. Keep it damp, (I use a broad knife as a scraper). And, before you repaper, seal the wall with a sizeing solution. A lot of new construction cuts this procedure and it really makes stripping "hell". Sealing the wall also makes papering much easier. I've hung hundres and hundreds of rolls of paper, vinyl, suede, milar, grass cloth, burlap, you name. Size the wall.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Tried the fabric softener ...

David -

When my sister was last here visiting she used the fabric softener technique. But she has WAY more patience than I do. While she was here the kitchen was stripped, repainted and "bordered".

She started on the dining room but had not finished removing all the wall paper when it was time for her to leave. I went to the HD and rented a wall paper steamer. Worked great! Was in and out in no time!

Ted

Thumbs up Ahhh, a can of GAS and

a MATCH? Poof, taken care of quickly. Just kidding, could not pass that one up!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images