Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help buying Router table

Help buying Router table

Just got back from the Woodworking show here in Nashville.

I'm looking for a router table. I wasn't impressed with what Peachtree was selling, I liked the Woodpecker ones.

For $528 I can get the Woodpecker Microdot table, super fence, dust collector box, stand, wheels and standard plate for $528. If I come back at the end of the day Sunday I can get the floor model for $499, big deal!

Any suggestions, Rockler?

I have a Shop Fox which is so limiting I dread using it!

Phil

From one wood worker to another, build one.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Second that -- it's a great project for a weekend or two.

Ditto what Axl said. I recently rebuilt mine to fit into the right extension of the table saw and included dust collection above and below. Works better than anything I could buy.

Okay guys, I was afraid you were going to suggest that!

Makes sense to me, this is what we do, however time is the key factor. I'll have to wait till after Christmas while I finish Christmas gifts plus it will take me longer than you guys.

But again, you're right! Okay can you suggest plans that are simple and maybe something I can add to later? Do I make my own fence, use Melamine.

This is what Woodpeckers wrote about that: "WHAT ABOUT MELAMINE? We only use melamine for shelf products. Melamine is a mica based paint like coating that is only slightly better then bare MDF. We do not recommend using Melamine for a router table, unless it is only needed for a one-time project. "

Thanks,
    Phil

FOR SALE Shop Fox W1728!
    Last edited by Philip Florio; 12-12-2008 at 4:50 PM.

Use a double layer of 3/4" MDF for the top. Others use baltic birch. Either laminate both sides, or use a generous application of paste wax to protect it.
    The fence can be a jointed 2x4, or something as fancy as you want to get. MDF works great as the facing. Just make a good 90deg base for it.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 12-12-2008 at 5:09 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Phenolic coated plywood = wonderful

Ive found that MDF tends to gouge fairly easily, altho it is usually dead-flat. Personally I recommend this for most jigs/fences/surfaces now:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...oductID=131171
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Do you know if the Phenolic Faced Plywood is available at Home Depot or Lowes. I could take advantage of Woodcraft's free shipping right now, their store is too far just for that.

Any suggestions to where I should buy a router table plate? Any recommendation for Rocklers and should I buy the large type?

Thanks,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hanko View Post
    Ive found that MDF tends to gouge fairly easily, altho it is usually dead-flat. Personally I recommend this for most jigs/fences/surfaces now:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...oductID=131171

I am building a new one right now. The one I use was slapped together to be of use.
    I would draw the plans yourself. Drawers, Dust collection, Electrical switches etc..

I own a Jessem top and lift so I will re-use it. I have tried to build a fairly complicated dust collection system for this one. I have no idea how it will work out.

Get yourself a pad of paper and a pencil. Create one.

If you want to build one quickly, I recommend this one:
    http://www.woodpeck.com/kregroutertabledvd.html
    Kreg Router Table DVD

$10 for the DVD (I got mine at Rockler), a couple sheets of birch ply, some pocket screws, and Viola! ... a new router table. The DVD is excellent and shows every step. I just wish it came with a cutting diagram.

I bought a Rockler table, but with the weight of a router and lift, it sagged quickly. Returned it.

Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Florio View Post
    Okay guys, I was afraid you were going to suggest that!

Makes sense to me, this is what we do, however time is the key factor. I'll have to wait till after Christmas while I finish Christmas gifts plus it will take me longer than you guys.
    I took a short cut of sorts. Bought the top and fence and made everything else. Having been around the barn with this thing I would offer this up (bearing in mind, as always, this applies to me, YMMV):

1. Decide what fence system you want.
    The table, assuming it is of good quality, is secondary. Your fence will dictate your featherboards, jigs and possibly part of your DC.
    2. Get the table that supports that fence.

3. Provide adequate support under the table or you'll get sag.
    The largest span between support on my table is about 11". Supporting pretty much anything other than cast iron at the outer edges is inadequate.
    If they have any left, Rockler was blowing out their old style tops and fences. I grabbed one for the spare fence and the larger top as compared to my TS extension currently in use.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-13-2008 at 2:32 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Florio View Post
    Any suggestions to where I should buy a router table plate? Any recommendation for Rocklers and should I buy the large type?
    Depends on the size of the router. If it's a big one, you might want to consider the Rousseau plate. It is slightly convex, and may pull down with the weight of a large router.
    For smaller ones, 1.5 - 2.5 hp, Harbor Freight, has some.

Smile Make it yourself....

I think I spent $6.00 plus the router plate from Lee Valley (for a PC 690).
    Top make from laminate (WilsonArt) sink cutouts, fence made from MDF with dust collection and sliding faces. Oh, I forgot to add the cost of the miter tracks for the miter gauge and fence. Even with that I don't think I have $100.00 in the puppy, and I use it a lot.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Plate and fence material

Any thoughts on the JessEm 03100 Rout-R-Plate Router Mounting Plate?

I'll use the
    3/4" Phenolic Faced Plywood for the table. Do you think Melamine would be okay for the fence?

Phil