Thread: Need some help please

Need some help please

After removing clamps from some red oak posts I have an oil deposit, from the clamp pads, impregnhated into the wood I have tried to remove it with Naptha & Acetone, but it won't come out. Rebuilding the posts are not an option. Does anybody know a cure for my problem.
    Help would really be appreciated.

Tom

Hello,
    Mix some mineral spirits & cornmeal into a poultice and put it over the spots. Just set it on them, don't press down on it.

As the mineral spirits evaporates, it will draw the oil out.
    Give it time to work - overnight should be enough.
    If not, repeat as needed.

Fast flash solvents, like Naphtha, Acetone, Alcohol & Lacquer thinner - flooded on the surface - just drive the oil deeper into the wood.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I assume these are finished post otherwise you would have sanded them.

If they aren't finished the marks sand out really easy, I don't think it is oil but something else that marks them. I get them all the time when using my heavy duty F clamps. Even my maple jorgensen's leave a mark like that.

It is what taught me to use a small scrap as a clamp pad when I am worried about marking.

I feel your pain.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

This has been an issue before - check this thread.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=82522

Thanks for the help guy's - painful lesson for not useing scrap wood pads between the clamp jaws - first time & the last time this will happen

Tom

Tom, you can also glue pieces of leather (not oil tanned) or cork to your clamps and not have to fool with the wood scraps.

John,
    If I use leather on them what kind of glue won't through ??
    Thanks,
    Tom

CA (crazy glue/zap) or I suppose one could use a little contact cement, too. Might even try double stick foam tape.