Thread: Help with drill press

Help with drill press

I am drilling some holes with a 2" forstner bit. I have drilled several and now the drill bit is stopping to spin. Even with very light pressure the chuck stops spinning. THe belts/pully is still moving. Is somehow the taper slipping? How to fix?

I have the Steel city 17" drill press. I have it set on the appropriate speed (210) and I even tried 310.

Thanks,

Todd

I have a Craftsman Commercial drill press that has the shoe string belt (the belt is a little larger than a shoe string) when I have that problem it means that the tension on the belt needs to be tightened.
    David B

Take the bit out of the drill and lower the chuck to the drill table and tap it a few times by pulling down on the lever it probley has a morse taper and it has come loose

You said the drill bit has stopped spinning. That would mean that the drill bit is spinning in the chuck.

If that is the case, your bit may now have rolled up burrs on it. These burrs need to be carefully removed with a file or stone because the chuck may grab the burr and not the shank of the drill.

If your chuck is spinning in the spindle, you have another problem.

This shouldn't be possible because the end of the chuck arbor has a tang on it that keys the arbor to the spindle. If the chuck is spinning in the spindle then you either have some kind of odd or modified chuck arbor or you haven't inserted it properly.

The chuck arbor should be inserted so that the tang is engaged. If the tang is not engaged, the arbor will not go up into the spindle as far as it should.

I would think that the chuck and arbor would fall out by gravity if you didn't have the arbor tang engaged properly, although it may be possible to jam it somehow.

If the chuck arbor spun in the spindle, you may have damaged one or the other with burrs. If that is the case, then the chuck arbor won't seat properly in the spindle and fixing the problem will require removing burrs on both parts.

You need to carefully examine everything at this point. That 2" Forstner can be a nasty body part eating monster. I have a scar from doing something stupid with one when I was a kid.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. After some invetigation I isolated the problem to the pulley slipping. Just for clarity, the chuck and spindle would stop spinning. I kept trying to tighten the belt and reseated the taper. That did not help. Then I noticed that a nut on top of the main pully was loose and the pully was slipping. I tightened the nut and it would help for a while then it would come loose again. Retighten and repeat.

I am curious if any of you who have the Steel City 17" DP have experienced a similar problem. I know a lot of creekers own this DP. Afterall that was a major reason I bought this one.

Thanks,

Todd