Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a workshop just so you can smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I like cigars, but I'm relegated to the workshop (a one-car attached garage) if I want to enjoy a stogie.

It stinks (haha) because it's usually freezing cold out there, and as any cigar-lover knows cold weather and cigars don't mix well.

Am I alone here?

JW
    No I don't have a shop so I can smoke, I do go outside for my occasional cigar. I have the same weather you do, I find I don't even have 1 a month in the winter. Guess I'm a fair weather cigar smoker. My shops in the basement so that's out and I don't care to smoke enough to sit out in the shed when it 16 degrees.
    As far as burning down the shop... I know of a few folks who have wood burners in their attached and detached shops, not one has burned down.
    Do try a Padron series 1926 if you haven't already. 5 years supply for 1 Festool KS120.
    Last edited by Bob Johnson2; 12-14-2008 at 1:02 AM.

I am a Canuck. I smoke Cuban cigars. Actually went to Havana a few years back, smoked 4-5 a day

I have never smoked in the shop, or in the house. I have thought about setting up a TV in the shop, behind glass, in a dust proof cell..

Try bathing in toxic chemicals while smoking a cigar -- really packs a punch!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I just bathe in toxic chemicals. Same effect, but I don't have to go outside to do it.

If I did smoke it would be in the garage. I have a woodstove in my shop and have been thinking about adding a propane space heater to warm it up quickly then the stove can take over from there.

My garage is a multi-purpose facility... Wow, I like that one!

Wood Working
    Welding
    Auto Repair
    Auto Detailing
    Auto Body and Painting - Long Ago
    Plumbing
    Lawnmower repair
    Hide Out!

Blog Entries
    Yep,

During the winter, the shop is the only place I can smoke a cigar at home (unless it gets freakishly warm outside). You are right about the smell. Next day, when I open the door, it smells like someone rolled over and died in there. Fortunately that goes away quickly.

Speaking of cigars, I highly suggest giving the new Nub's a try. They don't look like your traditional cigar as they are a 66 ring gauge and only 4 inches long. The Camaroons are my favorite followed by the Habanos. I don't care for the Connecticuts. In addition, they are only around $6/cigar, which is a bargain for the quality. I like them because they produce a good amount of smoke and don't burn too hot. Oh, they also taste great and don't have a harsh after taste.

Enjoy.

My shop often gets invaded by model railroading stuff from other family members (including me), and whatever other hobby comes along. At least with smoking, all you have to do is open the window and your shop will self clean in about 10 minutes.

By the way, when I took my mother to the cardiologist, he looked at me and said: "your mother has a heart history, your dad passed away from a heart attack at an early age, and you're overweight....do you smoke?" I said no. He said: "Ohhhh...thank God!"

-Jeff

I smoke a cigar sometimes, but never in my shop. I guess because I work in the basement...

A good cigar on a mild summer night is nice. Winter, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I just bathe in toxic chemicals. Same effect, but I don't have to go outside to do it.
    actually the cigars are rather harmless since you don't inhale the smoke.

i'd wager breathing the sawdust is more detrimental to health than smoking a cigar (which are both negligible)

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    actually the cigars are rather harmless since you don't inhale the smoke.

i'd wager breathing the sawdust is more detrimental to health than smoking a cigar (which are both negligible)
    The Health Risks
    The American Lung Association cites a number of myths about the "safety" of cigar smoking, among them that cigars are a safe alternative to cigarettes, that cigar smoking is not addictive and that smoking cigars does not cause lung cancer or chronic pulmonary disease.

These are the facts:

CANCER
    Cigar smoking causes cancer of the larynx, mouth, esophagus and lungs. Over all, men who smoke cigars have death rates from cancer that are 34 percent higher than those of nonsmokers. Studies that followed the fates of cigar smokers and nonsmokers over many years have shown that cigar smoking raises the risk of dying from cancers of the larynx, mouth and esophagus by 4 to 10 times. These rates are similar to those associated with cigarette smoking and are believed to reflect the fact that when cigars are puffed the smoke is held in the mouth and upper airways.

Researchers who examined cells from the larynx, the voice box, found that 99 percent of cigar smokers had "atypical cells," the first step toward malignancy, while only 25 percent of nonsmokers had them.

The chances of developing lung cancer are indeed lower for cigar smokers than for cigarette smokers, largely because most cigar smokers do not inhale. But lung-cancer death rates among cigar smokers are about three times as high as they are among nonsmokers. The risk rises with the number of cigars smoked each day, and studies in other countries indicate that for those who inhale cigar smoke, the lung cancer risk is comparable to that of cigarette smoking.

Dr. I. T. T. Higgins and colleagues at the American Health Foundation, a nonprofit research organization in New York City, have pointed out that "when cigarette smokers switch to cigars or pipes, they usually have been found to continue to inhale in the way they were accustomed to when they smoked cigarettes." For this reason, they say, "no health benefit should be anticipated from switching." These researchers found in a study of more than 6,000 people that even 30 years after quitting cigarettes, those who took up cigars faced almost five times the nonsmoker's risk of developing lung cancer.

CHRONIC LUNG DISEASE
    Cigar smokers are more likely than nonsmokers to develop chronic obstructive lung disease, although again the risk is lower than that of cigarette smokers. Several studies that followed smokers and nonsmokers over a period of years showed that cigar smokers face an increased risk of dying of lung disease that may be as much as 360 percent as high as the risk for nonsmokers. An autopsy study of the lungs of 1,443 men who died in six New York and New Jersey hospitals found that the rate of emphysema among cigar smokers swas five times that of nonsmokers.

HEART AND BLOOD VESSEL DISEASE
    Nicotine, the addictive drug released when any tobacco product is used, does not have to be inhaled to damage the heart and blood vessels. Nicotine can be absorbed into the blood stream through the mouth. This drug speeds up the heart and constricts blood vessels, which reduces blood flow to the heart. Two European studies showed an increased risk of heart attacks in cigar smokers, and a study of 25,000 men in Sweden found that cigar smokers were five times as likely as nonsmokers to die from a ruptured aorta, the body's main artery. And a study of 7,700 men showed a threefold increased risk of stroke among cigarette smokers who switched to cigars.

PASSIVE CIGAR SMOKE
    According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the sidestream smoke from cigars is a more insidious poison than that from cigarettes. Particle emissions, which include carcinogens, from one cigar exceeded those from three cigarettes, and carbon monoxide emissions were 30 times as high.
    When a cigar is smoked in an office, the agency's standard of 9 parts carbon monoxide per million parts of air can be exceeded in 20 minutes.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/specials/wome...0529_1104.html

It shoudl also be noted that smoking is the #1 cause of disaster and death by fire.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 12-14-2008 at 11:23 AM.

And your point is???

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    The Health Risks
    The American Lung Association cites a number of myths about the "safety" of cigar smoking, among them that cigars are a safe alternative to cigarettes, that cigar smoking is not addictive and that smoking cigars does not cause lung cancer or chronic pulmonary disease.

These are the facts:

CANCER
    Cigar smoking causes cancer of the larynx, mouth, esophagus and lungs. Over all, men who smoke cigars have death rates from cancer that are 34 percent higher than those of nonsmokers. Studies that followed the fates of cigar smokers and nonsmokers over many years have shown that cigar smoking raises the risk of dying from cancers of the larynx, mouth and esophagus by 4 to 10 times. These rates are similar to those associated with cigarette smoking and are believed to reflect the fact that when cigars are puffed the smoke is held in the mouth and upper airways.

Researchers who examined cells from the larynx, the voice box, found that 99 percent of cigar smokers had "atypical cells," the first step toward malignancy, while only 25 percent of nonsmokers had them.

The chances of developing lung cancer are indeed lower for cigar smokers than for cigarette smokers, largely because most cigar smokers do not inhale. But lung-cancer death rates among cigar smokers are about three times as high as they are among nonsmokers. The risk rises with the number of cigars smoked each day, and studies in other countries indicate that for those who inhale cigar smoke, the lung cancer risk is comparable to that of cigarette smoking.

Dr. I. T. T. Higgins and colleagues at the American Health Foundation, a nonprofit research organization in New York City, have pointed out that "when cigarette smokers switch to cigars or pipes, they usually have been found to continue to inhale in the way they were accustomed to when they smoked cigarettes." For this reason, they say, "no health benefit should be anticipated from switching." These researchers found in a study of more than 6,000 people that even 30 years after quitting cigarettes, those who took up cigars faced almost five times the nonsmoker's risk of developing lung cancer.

CHRONIC LUNG DISEASE
    Cigar smokers are more likely than nonsmokers to develop chronic obstructive lung disease, although again the risk is lower than that of cigarette smokers. Several studies that followed smokers and nonsmokers over a period of years showed that cigar smokers face an increased risk of dying of lung disease that may be as much as 360 percent as high as the risk for nonsmokers. An autopsy study of the lungs of 1,443 men who died in six New York and New Jersey hospitals found that the rate of emphysema among cigar smokers swas five times that of nonsmokers.

HEART AND BLOOD VESSEL DISEASE
    Nicotine, the addictive drug released when any tobacco product is used, does not have to be inhaled to damage the heart and blood vessels. Nicotine can be absorbed into the blood stream through the mouth. This drug speeds up the heart and constricts blood vessels, which reduces blood flow to the heart. Two European studies showed an increased risk of heart attacks in cigar smokers, and a study of 25,000 men in Sweden found that cigar smokers were five times as likely as nonsmokers to die from a ruptured aorta, the body's main artery. And a study of 7,700 men showed a threefold increased risk of stroke among cigarette smokers who switched to cigars.

PASSIVE CIGAR SMOKE
    According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the sidestream smoke from cigars is a more insidious poison than that from cigarettes. Particle emissions, which include carcinogens, from one cigar exceeded those from three cigarettes, and carbon monoxide emissions were 30 times as high.
    When a cigar is smoked in an office, the agency's standard of 9 parts carbon monoxide per million parts of air can be exceeded in 20 minutes.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/specials/wome...0529_1104.html

It shoudl also be noted that smoking is the #1 cause of disaster and death by fire.

Another reason not to smoke

I used to go out to the shop to smoke. I think everyone is aware of the health and safety risks of smoking. It is a personal decision. Heck, I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 25 years. I just up and quit 5 years ago, on a whim while on vacation, cigarettes were over $5 a pack in Hawaii.(enough reason for me).
    At the suggestion of LOML I put my cigarette money in a jar to save. She told me I should use it towards buying something else I enjoy. I started the kayak project the next year, and since then have purchased a tablesaw, joiner, planer, bandsaw, drill press and lathe, all with cigarette money.
    Woodworking is much more enjoyable with good tools. While I was smoking I could only afford a benchtop tablesaw. and used to run an extension cord from the house to the shed. That has all changed now. I am glad I married a smart woman.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    And your point is???
    My response was directed towards Neal's statement that cigar smoking is harmless.

Go ahead and smoke in your shop. I'm not one of those guys that wants to legislate against smokes or anything else.

But we need to keep it honest. And cigars (which I am inclined to smoke on occasion) aren't harmless. They're far from it.

I'm with Phil on the legislating idea - don't need any more government in my life! But, on the other hand, I do not understand smoking - from a health standpoint or any other. Tried a few cigarettes as a youth half a century ago - didn't understand it then either.

But, the real question Jason, did you know when you posted this thread that you were lighting up more than a good cigar??!! You got 'em goin'!! I have to think you anticipated the fervor!

I smoked 1 1/2 packs a day for 41 years. Quitting isn't easy. I haven't smoked in nearly 3 years.

Nagging.....snide remarks.....unkind, harsh comments causes one's blood pressure to increase....leading to increased heart attacks and stress...

If we are going to legislate...let's legislate against unrequested, nagging, snide comments from others. It would help reduce medical costs.

From a safety standpoint...it's your shop. If you feel you can safely smoke in it, it's your decision. If other people object, they don't have to come into your shop.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

well, i can make more smoke with my mortiser than you'd get from a cigarette i think.

fumes from mineral spirits, alcohol, methylene chloride, and any other number of common chemicals we all likely have in our shops can also be inhaled or harmful on skin contact in the case of the paint stripper, and i doubt seriously if all of us work with a respirator on all day (i know i don't).

as for 'facts'...

germany didn't ban smoking in commercial airlines until the 1990s. a 30 year study was done on airline workers in german airlines, and it turns out that second hand smoke, which would be comparable to un-inhaled cigar smoke, had a statistically insignificant effect, in that the rates of lung cancer and heart disease amongst flight attendants was not any different from non smokers from the general population.

i find it odd that we have all of these skull and crossbones ads and PSAs citing the certain doom of second hand smoke, yet i have plenty of non smoker family members who have lived with smoker spouses for 50+ years and don't have any sort of lung or heart disease. i don't dispute the fact that smoking is not good for you, that's fairly obvious. however un-inhaled cigars (which i have smoked) and second hand smoke claims are, imo, smoke and mirrors (pun intended).
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 12-14-2008 at 3:19 PM.