Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a workshop just so you can smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    If we are going to legislate...let's legislate against unrequested, nagging, snide comments from others. It would help reduce medical costs.

From a safety standpoint...it's your shop. If you feel you can safely smoke in it, it's your decision. If other people object, they don't have to come into your shop.
    As they said in the 70's that's a BIG 10-4!!

When I think back of all the years I heated my shop with a kerosene heater, my gosh, it's a wonder I didn't burn the city down..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Actually, for me it's the other way around. I started smoking so I could have an excuse to build a workshop... Now that I've stopped smoking, I don't need the shop any more...
    David DeCristoforo

I do all of my smoking outside.

Why would I want to put this thing inside the shop?

I have a workshop just so I can have a place for entertaining new friends.

It puts the lotion on it's skin and rubs it in.
    Use the fence Luke

Red Man

I chewed a pack of Red Man a day for about 25 years. I had a sheetrock bucket of sawdust in the garage and hit it most of the time. I quit about 8 years ago but I still miss it when I am working in the garage or outside. Chew the end off one for me.
    Cannon

Oh, of course!

Though it doesn't take a whole lot to get you guys riled up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I'm with Phil on the legislating idea - don't need any more government in my life! But, on the other hand, I do not understand smoking - from a health standpoint or any other. Tried a few cigarettes as a youth half a century ago - didn't understand it then either.

But, the real question Jason, did you know when you posted this thread that you were lighting up more than a good cigar??!! You got 'em goin'!! I have to think you anticipated the fervor!

I don't smoke in the shop, don't think I would even if it were allowed either. Something about little piles of wood chips and falling ashes I don't like. Maybe cigars would be ok with an ashtray, but I don't smoke cigars regularly. I do like to hover in my man cave over a beer after working. Basement shop puts smoking out, it just lingers and rises into my sons bedroom, and at two years old he doesn't need the smoke. I do have an out building my wife thinks is a garage, I prefer to think of it as the wood storage shed personally, and it is pretty much full of lumber at this point. Anyway, I have been known to smoke out there. No smoking allowed in the house ever.

When you find yourself smoking in an unheated garage when its 11 degrees out and telling your self at least its not windy in the garage, you have officially moved past habit to addiction. PDAMHIK

well

My wifes doesn't want smoking around her so I do smoke in the shop. Of course to keep the peace I had to build this wind machine to vent the shop and pull the smoke out.
    Both units are 3 speed and It moves about 3900CFM on high which is alot of air
    It works real good for spraying too.
    I just roll it over to the gliding door open the door ,push the thing in , and close the door. Perfect fit with a nice seal.
    It uses two seperate whole house AC blowers each with 2 squirell cages
    Last edited by William OConnell; 12-14-2008 at 8:57 PM.
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

That reminds me...

Just checked weatherbug and it's 50 degrees here in Illinois on Dec.15th
    Good enough reason for me to sign off, turn on some internet music I got piped out to the garage and light up my pipe with some Captain Black!!
    I'll be thinkin up all those projects I might get around to doing someday

To those who have never smoked: You are either very smart or very lucky. If you are very smart, you should know that is is bad juju to dis those less blessed than yourselves. If you are very lucky, you should know that any fool can be lucky. In either case, you can never know how hard it is to stop so please shut up and sit down.

To those who do smoke: Never give up on the idea that you can stop. I always appreciated Mark Twain's statement on the subject: "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times." But after forty five years (?!?!) of devoted smoking and many attempts, I was finally able to stop! Smoking is the most insanely addictive habit one can acquire. But it can be beaten. Don't ask me how because I can't tell you anything except to keep trying.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    To those who have never smoked: You are either very smart or very lucky. If you are very smart, you should know that is is bad juju to dis those less blessed than yourselves. If you are very lucky, you should know that any fool can be lucky. In either case, you can never know how hard it is to stop so please shut up and sit down.

To those who do smoke: Never give up on the idea that you can stop. I always appreciated Mark Twain's statement on the subject: "Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times." But after forty five years (?!?!) of devoted smoking and many attempts, I was finally able to stop! Smoking is the most insanely addictive habit one can acquire. But it can be beaten. Don't ask me how because I can't tell you anything except to keep trying.
    Agreed on all points. I have been a year and a half without this time, and I still want a cigarette on occasion. I smoked for 28 years, and quit so many times I can't count. I think it will stick this time.

I haven't smoked in 30 years, however every time I walk past my neighbours house and smell his pipe smoke, I want to start again.

It's hard to imagine that after 30 years an aroma could have that effect however...........

That said however I wouldn't smoke in the shop, too many flammable items stored there.

regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 12-15-2008 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Corrected "smeel" to smell

I didn't mind smokers so much until my wife was diagnosed with cancer. It just turns my stomach to see anyone smoke. I even let one of my guys go that smoked a pipe.

She has been fighting for three years now. She has another surgery this morning and then starts chemo for the third time.

She is my hero.

No I don't smoke in my shop, a movie, a good book, heck sometimes I even build something

AZCRAIG

I am also like you; relegated to outside in good weather or in my shop when it's cold or rainy. I once read a sticker in a cigar shop that " if a man cannot smoke in his own home, maybe its not his home". Yeah right. Try selling that to the significant other.
    By the way for the smoking detractors out there; cigar smoking does not require inhaling like cigarettes. There is a risk like all tobacco products, but greatly lessened with cigars.
    Think I will go home for lunch and have a Partagas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    By the way for the smoking detractors out there; cigar smoking does not require inhaling like cigarettes. There is a risk like all tobacco products, but greatly lessened with cigars.
    Inhaling isn't a prerequisite to the inherent danger of tobacco use since it's not just about lung cancer. That said, it's a decision you need to make for yourself.

I have never smoked in my nearly 52 years of life. Thinking logically, I'm not sure that a woodworking shop is the best place to smoke if you do smoke. Where there is an open flame or ember, there is always increased danger that it might come in contact with materials you might not intend, merely by having a lit cigarette, cigar or pipe in the workshop environment. It's the nature of the beast. And unless you are an unusually fastidious person, there is likely a much higher volume of significantly flammable materials in your shop that might immediately come in contact with that material should you drop the smoke or even just an ash that includes smoldering material. But again, you have to make the decision for yourself.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...