Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a workshop just so you can smoke?

Jason, since you brought it up, have you tried Oliva Master Blend or Padilla 1932? For me they are in a different league than everything else I've tried. Really sublime.

I step outside to smoke a cigar or pipe. Never in the shop. Too many flammable solvents and I don't want smoke film on all my valuable woods!

Cheers,
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

I'm glad I quit when I was ten!

AZCRAIG

David,

Thanks for the kind words and prayers. All went well yesterday.

AZCRAIG

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    I don't know if it makes me very smart or very lucky, but I am now in my upper 30's and have never smoked a day in my life, nor have I been drunk or taken drugs of any sorts. You'd never know it to look at me, but it's true. Like most guys, I get offered beer every time I meet someone for the first time and I always get a strange stare that is many times combined with a comment like "you don't drink"? To each his own and yes, I know that I'm in the minority.

I'd rather put the little bit of money I have towards something woodworking related. Does the fact that I've never smoked make me better or smarter than anyone else, heck no! I just made different choices, personal choices that I felt were better for me.

As human beings, we are all built differently and think differently. I have family members who are what many would call addicted, and believe me, they don't want to smoke and have tried many, many times to stop. I am not stupid, nor am I Einstein, but without ever having smoked, I am smart enough to know that it must be very, very difficult to stop smoking or they would've stopped years ago. They know it's bad for them, but as much as they try, they just cannot quit.

Also, like Mr. McCormick, I have someone very close to me that is in extremely poor health due specifically to smoking. If she could turn back time.......................well, you know.

I don't know about being blessed because to me it's just a personal decision that I made when offered a cigarette many, many years ago. If you're trying to quit, keep at it and good luck. It's gotta be a very,very hard thing to do, but also very rewarding when you succeed.

David

p.s. Mr. McCormick, I know it must be an extremely tough time for you and I sincerely hope everything turns out well for you and your wife and that her surgery is a success. David Cramer wishes her well & hopes she comes out of it in good shape. She's in my prayers.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jack Briggs View Post
    I step outside to smoke a cigar or pipe. Never in the shop. Too many flammable solvents and I don't want smoke film on all my valuable woods!

Cheers,

Hey Jack, The last line seemed ironic. Aren't your lungs invaluable tools? I'm not being judgemental. I don't care if people smoke, as long as I don't have to breathe it when I exit a building. And regardless which direction this thread travels, we all have in common, a passion for woodworking, in one form or another. Regards, Bill

I haven't smoked for over seven years now but if I still did, the shop would be where it occurred. I think the fire danger is being greatly over-exaggerrated, mainly by the non-smokers which is understandable. I wouldn't smoke while using flammable finishes but then I didn't smoke when filling up the car or lawnmower with gasoline, either. Anyone who does is probably a future Darwin Award winner.

I still enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke and even this thread has made me want to light up...although i'll never smoke again. Cigarette smoking is a nasty, disgusting, expensive habit that I'm glad to have kicked and I can understand non-smokers wanting to avoid the second-hand smoke.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Personallly I do not smoke since my 30 plus years in the firefighting profession where I inhaled more smoke and toxic chemicals then anyone can imagine. I was on the job before self contained breathing apparatus and spent a lot of time on by belly trying to get to the source of the fire.
    It has been proven that smoking tobacco is not healthy but I respect the decision of others to do as they like in this short life. I do not respect those who criticize those who make the decision to do what they want as long as they keep it private in there own domain. If you want to smoke, then do so.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

I don't smoke but I do drink the sweet elixer in the shop. Equally taboo by some peoples standards, but that's my choice. Smoking a cigar might be very enjoyable with a drink.

I love the cigar shop sign. I think I'm going to make one up.
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

Thumbs up

No, you are not alone, Jason.
    Cigars do stink. Almost everybody thinks so.

Being an ex-smoker myself (Cigarettes), I do still enjoy an occasional cigar, just for the stink of it.
    But outside.
    My wife has to do the laundry and the machines are in one corner of my shop. So to save the peace, I will do my stinky stuff on the patio, outside, in the cold now.

By the way, by occasional, I mean once in a while like every 3 years or so.
    I have 10 Cubans I recently... ahem... aquired... that I hope to enjoy occassionally. (Little teeny ones, not big nice fat ones)

Any tips on long term storage?
    (Besides "send them to me and I'll store them for you.")

Everyone just needs to relax a little bit in this crazy world we live in..... All of us are going to die one day, and I would rather enjoy the days and years on this planet doing the things that make me happy rather than worrying about what's going to kill me. God already knew the day I was born into this world the day he would take me home I could not do anything about it even if I wanted to, why should I worry..........Let's enjoy life and the things that make us happy!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    Everyone just needs to relax a little bit in this crazy world we live in..... All of us are going to die one day, and I would rather enjoy the days and years on this planet doing the things that make me happy rather than worrying about what's going to kill me. God already knew the day I was born into this world the day he would take me home I could not do anything about it even if I wanted to, why should I worry..........Let's enjoy life and the things that make us happy!!!!!
    Amen to that. Clifford

Quote Originally Posted by clifford mescher View Post
    amen to that. Clifford
    +1 ........

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    +1 ........
    ...said the chain smoker!

Just funnin' ya, Bro!

I think I did everything when I was in high school: smoked, drank, and chewed. I smoked for about 2 weeks in high school and then I was like, "What the heck am I doing...idiot!" I chewed much longer (couple of months) and came to the same conclusion. Finally, alcohol was pretty rampant but once I hit the legal age, it wasn't so much fun any more. Funny how that is!

Now I average about a beer a month and smoke (but not inhale) sawdust!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Myers View Post
    I'm glad we live in a free country where one can smoke... or not. I think tobacco users/smokers all know the risk and they should be free to take it.

I only get a little cranky about smoking when smokers don't think about non-smokers when they smoke.
    +1

My Father used to smoke in the shop and it caught fire twice. They were small fires and we didn't lose much but damn!

I don't smoke and I sold my tobacco stocks last January. I plan on re purchasing even more of them again soon.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, the planet is not your ashtray.

"Never wise up a chump"
    W. C. Fields...

Sort of the flip side . . . My SO frequently goes in "to work" at our shop on the weekends. Friends ask where he is, and I say, "Oh, he's working at the shop." Frequently they become concerned that he is "working too much" and needs to take some time off. I just laugh because I know he goes to the shop to get away from me. We all need our time and space. He doesn't smoke but he creates lots of dust, some even from wood. The truth? I love it when he goes to the shop since that gives me my time and space.

Not preaching, just one thought on couple of the posts. Yes, we're all going to die, and there are lots of ways to go. My poison of choice happens to be alcohol usually in moderation, but sometimes not. There are some forms of death that do affect the loved ones in your life and are very difficult for them to watch, one is a slow death by cancer - in any form.

To each his own, different strokes for different folks. Don't worry, be happy.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra