Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In progress: Carved mantel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The real enemy is the tedium of doing the same thing over and over. There's 43 of the molding elements and they all need to look (pretty much) the same and there's about 125 balls on the bottom edge. So the challenge is to do the same thing many times and make it look the same.
    That would just drive me nuts
    OTOH I can relate to your comment about loosing track of time when you really get into working with wood, that has happened to me a few times.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

If i do that much hardwork I will never ever sell my master pieces... Salute to u Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid Khattak View Post
    If i do that much hardwork I will never ever sell my master pieces... Salute to u Henderson
    Yep, it's been said that "carvers are starvers". If I wasn't retired I'd never be able to do these things.

Thanks for your post.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike.. i saw all of ur's thread and posts.. u are really a genius... The tutorials u written are great... I am thankful to u for all favours u did upon us...

Keep posting ur great work and please post the update now, if possible..i can't wait to see...

Well, here it is pretty much complete. The builder wants to install it for the client's Christmas party so I let him take it even though I still have some clean-up to do on it - mainly getting the balls to be a bit more round. I did them under fluorescent lamps which makes it hard to see the details. It sort of "flattens" everything.

So he'll bring it back to me after the holidays and I'll finish up on it.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike..superb work..wow..very beautiful....What a hands u have... Thanks for sharing and i will be really happy to see it after finishing...

I wonder u did it under flouresent lamp... thats awesome

Regards

Congratulations. That's quite an accomplishment. It must be hard to see it leave your shop.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    Congratulations. That's quite an accomplishment. It must be hard to see it leave your shop.
    I'd like to see a lot more come in and leave.

Maybe this will get me some more business.

Mike

Mike,

Looks great, I think you mentioned the wood is Basswood, is the intent to paint the mantel?

Your how to carve a early American fan post was the best step by step explanation that I have seen, you should think about writing articles for magazine ..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Mike,

Looks great, I think you mentioned the wood is Basswood, is the intent to paint the mantel?

Your how to carve a early American fan post was the best step by step explanation that I have seen, you should think about writing articles for magazine ..
    The mantel will be sent to a finisher after I complete the carving. I don't know exactly how s/he's going to finish it, but I know they want it to look old. I expect the finisher will use glazes to put some color into it and will use layers of glaze to simulate wear in certain places. Finishing is a black art to me - I'm just glad there are people who are good at it.

I'll try to get the builder to give me a picture of it installed and finished, but sometimes you just have to be satisfied with the money.

Mike

[I'd be happy to write articles for magazines - anything for money. Got any suggestions for magazines to send my stuff to?]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-21-2008 at 2:59 PM.

Final cost there abouts?

Mike, I have been a wood worker and carver as long as I can remember, but that mantle is beautiful! I have done many signs and blanket chests and small boxes that had some sort of carving on them. I just finished a small sign today that was to made old looking also. Maybe post a pic tomorrow. But any way how do you come up with a price for something like that? Or is it pro bono?

Very nice!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    Mike, I have been a wood worker and carver as long as I can remember, but that mantle is beautiful! I have done many signs and blanket chests and small boxes that had some sort of carving on them. I just finished a small sign today that was to made old looking also. Maybe post a pic tomorrow. But any way how do you come up with a price for something like that? Or is it pro bono?

Very nice!

Jeff
    It is definitely not pro bono. The designer had gotten an estimate of $1,000 from another carver. That sounded good to me (especially since I'm retired) so I agreed to do it for that. The way I got the job is that the contractor took my carving class at Woodcraft. He actually was a very good carver - he learned quickly and did advanced work. But he decided to have me do the work instead of doing it himself. I told him that he could do it but maybe he didn't have the time (or all the tools). He recommended me to the designer and that's who I really have the deal with.

I should get the mantel back next week to complete. When I have it finished, I'll post more pictures. They want it to look "old" so I'm going to round over the edges to make it look like wear. When I complete the carving, it'll go to the finisher.

The designer called me yesterday to tell me the status and said the client liked the work (they installed the mantel in the home for Christmas, even though I hadn't completed it). I hope to get more work from him. I just wonder if I could get him to recommend me to other designers. I enjoy it not just for the money but for a reason to wake up in the morning.

Got any work you want to sub out to me?

I'm looking forward to the pictures of your work.

Mike

[I don't know why there's so much age discrimination in hiring. I'd work just to have something to do - for very little salary. But when anyone my age interviews (except to be a Wall Mart greeter) you just never get a call back. Maybe the hiring people think they can't depend upon us because we don't "need" the job.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-01-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Mike, I am retired also but not by choice. I injured both of my shoulders on the job as a sheetmetal worker. So far after a couple of surgeries and no help at all. I have a lot of pain and loss of range of motion, but just like you I love to get up in the morning and go out to the shop and putz and see what happens. I am an avid turner and have posted some of my work there. I put the sign on already beacause I was little excited to show it off! Not much but still fun!

I turn a lot of miniatures and did a bunch of ornaments for christmas this year. But the signs are coming in again.

Thanks,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I'm sorry to hear about your injury - I hope you can recover eventually.

Good to hear you have the sign business coming in.

Mike