Thread: How is this done????

How is this done????

At a recent arts and crafts show I found a clipboard that was made out of scrap pieces of wood. The board was about 3/8" thick (pretty sure it was solid wood throughout (even though wood moves)).

Anyway, I can cut the pieces out but gluing them togther and clamping them, I think I need some input on how to go about doing this. The wood is walnut, red oak, and maple and since I have tons of scrap pieces of this stuff I though I would make some gifts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    clipboard.jpg

I would break it down to 12 squares and then glue the squares together. I am sure there are many good ways to glue up the small squares and mitered angles. I think I would try this. I have 4 of those right angle clamping guides that are used on inside corners. I would screw them to a straight pice of scrap making 4 right angle jigs. Set the 3 pieces that make up each square and clamp them against the angle guide or the scrap of wood. The inside corner of my guides is rounded. If you happen to have teh plastic ones with a square corner on the inside, you could just clamp to both sides of the guide.

If it was me, I would get 8"-10" wide boards (6/4 thk) in each species, bevel the ends of the walnut and oak and glue up the three pieces. After curing, i would cut the glue-up to a square cross section on the table saw by registering the oak and walnut faces against the fence. You will have to use a good blade since you won't be able to joint the end grain easily after this.

You will now have a block of wood approximately 3x3x8 showing the unit cross section in your diagram. You can then crosscut the block into 12, 7/16 thick wafers that you glue up as shown in your diagram.

I would make a single square block of the 3 main pieces and slice off a dozen 3/8" thick "tiles". Then glue 'em up as a panel with a mitered frame.

That shouldn't take more than 4-5" wide boards. An incredible use for those crazy short, squat or otherwise stubby scraps.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

shoji

Shoji screens and panels are often done like that. Google Shoji and you should get some hits.
    If your in for a good read, buy one of,Toshio Odates books on the subject
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

This could be a cool cutting board design!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    I would make a single square block of the 3 main pieces and slice off a dozen 3/8" thick "tiles". Then glue 'em up as a panel with a mitered frame.

That shouldn't take more than 4-5" wide boards. An incredible use for those crazy short, squat or otherwise stubby scraps.
    That's the way I'd do it. Thanks for the idea. As Chris said...
    This could be a cool cutting board design!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I know this is an old thread...but did anyone ever make one?
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.