Thread: Pic's of Fireplace Mantle?

Pic's of Fireplace Mantle?

Hi all ... Where's the pic's you ask. That's where I need your help. I want to make a mantle for my gas fireplace. If you have a neat mantle at your house, would you please post some pic's of it in this thread so I can get some design element ideas. One thing I want to do is to make the side columns (boxes) with raised panel doors on them and use this space as storage. If this turns out to look bad then I'll make them fixed but for now, it sounds like a cool idea. Thanks in advance for any pic's you can attach. BTW, I'll likely make the mantle out of maple and either keep it natural or stain it the color of our baseboard molding (minwax fruitwood).

Mike Gregory

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=mantle+pics

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=mantle+pics

Above 2 were threads with pics

This one below is thread results with Mantles but you will have to dig through them.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=2601760
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Here's the one I built a couple of years ago. It was my first woodworking project after being away from the hobby for over 20 years.

S mantle1.jpgS mantle2.jpg

I had to work around the brickwork and add a wood beam between the two brick columns to hold the mantle. I put the oak panel over the beam and brackets.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Here's a surround I did when we put a gas insert in our old firebox. Details and proportions match the built-in buffet in the adjacent dining room. Design is quite simple, consistent with the 1921 bungalow that it's in. There's integrated lighting adjustable shelves and hidden compartments. OAL is 15'-6", the top is 4/4 full length, double thickness front edge. The bookcases are basically plywood boxes, the facade is plywood, cement board, tile and solid wood screwed and glued to the existing brick facade which had been painted beyond recognition. The doors "lift and drop" onto rabbeted tracks, wax on all contact surfaces and UHMW tape on the bottom of the doors make things slide surprisingly well.

-kg

For a couple of years I would build a mantle when required for the builder on our street. All were different depending on how and where the gas fireplace was installed. Clic my link of albums, a few more pics there.
    IMG_3702-1.JPG

Potters, columns-1.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]hobby woodworking since 1972

The one and only mantle I've made so far is in our MBR, and is made from salvaged waterbed pine.

Last edited by scott spencer; 12-22-2008 at 4:28 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....