Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1880 Writing Desk and Hutch

1880 Writing Desk and Hutch

I need your help identifying a type of desk and if possible point me to some examples that you have seen on the web. Over the course of the last 6 months I have seen a couple examples of an antique writing desk with a drop down door/lid on the hutch. One was in a B&B and the other was in the house of a friend who said that the desk was circa 1880. I really want to make one of these desks in Cherry and have drawn one in SketchUp but I would really like to see more examples. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think I like yours better, but here's Norm's version, which is on my list to build.

Now I need to find plans or draw them for one more like yours...

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0901
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Thanks Martin, the Planter's Desk is a good one to get dimensions from. Once I settle on a final design I'll post my SketchUp drawing here.

Ron, posting your version here would be great! Thanks!
    Martin, Granbury, TX

"American Country Furniture"

By David T. Smith has drawings of this desk with construction details. The attached PDF is my incomplete drawing of this desk.

Tony Joyce
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 12-20-2008 at 3:36 PM. Reason: Added detail

Thanks Tony. Your drawing has 2 doors on the upper cabinet vs the one drop down door, but I wonder were all desks of this style called Planters Desks?

Plantation/Postal Desk

The one in Smith's book is called a Plantation Desk. I have a similar desk drawing by Carlyle Lynch that refers to a Postal Desk.

The Plantation Desk has a fold up top for storage below. The Postal Desk has drawers in the apron and turned legs. I have also seen a variation of this in Bob Timberlake's gallery that had a slanted top(also have a drawing of this one), with doors at the top and drawers in the apron.

Tony Joyce

Lynch's Postal Desk
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 12-20-2008 at 4:52 PM. Reason: Added detail

Tony, thanks for the drawings, they are great examples. The 2 desks that I have seen were on a flat writing desk with tapered legs and a single drawer in the apron. The top cabinet on both had a drop door. In reality the drop door on the upper cabinet did not seem to be as functional as two doors but I wanted to retain the uniqueness of the antique desk. If you look at the drawing that I did, I have taken some liberty in the design and added 3 small drawers below the upper cabinet. This is turning out to be an interesting project. Thanks for you help.

Ron, I still like yours the best...

I noticed the 3 drawers the first time I looked at it, and that was one of the features that I thought made it unique.

Looks like your decision is getting harder, with all the added plans to look at.
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Ron,

I built a copy of an antique called a Plantation Secretary. It has the writing surface hinged off the base more like Norm's, but it is much taller and Shaker looking.

I don't know how to reduce the pixels on my photo so I could attach it, but I could e-mail it directly to you if you want to see it.

Thanks Rich, just click on my name and e-mail me your photo.

Well, I've drawn two versions of the 1880 desk and I'm posting both here to get your opinions on which design you prefer. Both desks are identical except for the door style. Other design elements are that both the sides and doors have a flat panel that is rabbeted and leaves a simple 1/8" reveal around the inside of the frame. Since the desk is somewhat deep (28") I have taken the opportunity to add a false drawer back to one of the drawers which was somewhat common during that era. Thanks for your input. I'll post the SketchUp drawings on my website in a few days. Ron

Ron,

Nice improvement. The "User" of my desk likes your double doors for style, but thinks the drop down writing surface would be more functional.

You have probably thought of this, but making the top and base so they can be easily separated will make any "movers" more agreeable.

Are the designs just posted with the shadows etc. from SketchUp also? Nice feature.

Rich, all of the latest Jpegs are renderings from Kerkythea. Great rendering program if you haven't tried it yet. It's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    Ron,

Nice improvement. The "User" of my desk likes your double doors for style, but thinks the drop down writing surface would be more functional.

You have probably thought of this, but making the top and base so they can be easily separated will make any "movers" more agreeable.

Are the designs just posted with the shadows etc. from SketchUp also? Nice feature.
    I agree, double doors look better, drop down seems more functional. Tough choice.

I do have a suggestion regarding your drawers....

I thought I had pics on this computer, but I don't.

My suggestion is for you to narrow the space between your large bottom two drawers to 3/4 inch and bring them all the way out to the legs. Try it, you will like it. Do the same to the 3 drawers directly on top of your desk. 3/4 inch dividers, and bring the drawers out to the edges. This will make the drawers look less "boxy".

Also, make sure you have room to sit under the front rail in your preferred desk chair. I did a computer table last year, and that measurement is critical from a user standpoint.
    Last edited by Martin Shupe; 12-23-2008 at 2:24 AM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX