Thread: Major News - Press Release By Woodcraft

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Major News - Press Release By Woodcraft

The following was released today by Woodcraft in their e-Mail "What's New at Woodcraft News Letter"

Thousands of American servicemen and women actively deployed overseas will receive a gift from home this November --- a handcrafted pen. As the first national sponsor of the Freedom Pens Project, Woodcraft stores will host “turn-a-thons” nationwide on Veterans Day, November 11, 2004 and serve as drop-off locations for pens starting July 4, 2004. Pens created and donated by individual woodworkers and craftspeople will be sent to U.S. troops as a constant reminder that people back home remember and appreciate their efforts.

“It’s an honor for our company to support this worthwhile program,” said Bryan Katchur, president of Woodcraft Supply Corp. “We anticipate thousands of people will donate their time and talents both before and on November 11 to turn pens in our stores and drop off pens they’ve previously completed. The collected pens will immediately be distributed to U.S. troops overseas through the organization’s founder, SawMill Creek.”

Since the program’s beginning in January of 2004, more than 6,000 customized pens have been created and sent to members of the armed forces. The all-volunteer effort was launched by members of the SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forum as a way to remind troops far from home that they are not alone.

“Each time one of our handmade writing instruments is used by a military person overseas to write a letter home, it’s a symbol of our support that the people of America care deeply about them,” said Keith Outten, project administrator for the
    Freedom Pens Project.
    “Many Woodcraft stores have already participated in turn-a-thons throughout the first part of 2004,” said Ken Salisbury, a Korean War veteran and the project coordinator for the Freedom Pens Project. “The company’s determination to increase its involvement nationally is greatly appreciated and should serve as a catalyst for the creation of even more pens for our troops. Right now we’re receiving an average of 100 handmade pens each day to send overseas. We expect this number to grow significantly with the launch of our partnership with Woodcraft.”

Independent Woodcraft stores hosting turn-a-thons and/or making donations to the Freedom Pens Project during the first half of 2004 include those located in Peoria, Ill. (352 pens), Seattle, Wash. (350 pens), Tulsa, Okla. (166 pens), Ft. Worth, Tx. (134 pens), Charleston, S.C. (56 pens) and Norfolk, Va. (43 pens). Most of the 70+ Woodcraft stores nationwide are expected to participate in the Veteran’s Day Turn-a-thon, which should result in thousands more pens for our troops.

We have been working on this for some time. Now it is official. Woodcraft has joined the FPP as a partner. They will be collecting finished pens from July 4th through November 11th (Veterans Day) at which time they will be conducting Turn-a-thons at their stores across the nation.

I would like to personally thank Bryan Katchur, Peter Parker and Kathy Ziprik of Woodcraft. Thanks also goes out to Greg Heppeard and Jerry Stringer for their help in bringing this to reality.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 06-15-2004 at 4:03 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Major coup. Congratulations on this fruit of your labors.

- ed

Wonderful news from Woodcraft
    Earl Reid

Congratulations and keep up the good turning !!
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Thumbs up

Way to go Ken!!!! and way to go Woodcraft!

Wonderful news Ken. Thanks should properly be given to all those who have, through their tireless efforts, put the Freedom Pens Project on Woodcraft's corporate radar. Well done everybody and thanks Woodcraft.
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

This is sooo cool! Woodcraft has always held a place in my heart with their service and product. This project has made me wish that I was a turner so that I could contribute more than just money. But someone has to do the $$$ end too, so... At least I've felt blessed to be able to contribute in some little way. We need our troops to know that most people at home believe their work and sacrifice is worthwhile.

And it is neat being part of the organization that got this rolling. Thanks Ken and Keith and all others who are making this work.

David

I have been involved with most of the correspondence from both Rockler and WoodCraft over the last few weeks. Both of these companies have always been supportive of the woodworking community not just in sales of equipment and supplies but training and hosting of special events as well.

American businesses are responding to the dedication that each of you have demonstrated and are acknowledging that ours is a serious commitment. All of the credit for the success of the Freedom Pens Project belongs to those of you worked so hard turning pens, collecting money and supporting the project financially.

Once again, thanks to each of you for your dedication and continued support!