Thread: Simple finish for bath caddy

Simple finish for bath caddy

Hey all,
    For Christmas, I built my wife one of those shelves that span across the tub for setting a book on, glass of wine or what have you. I made it from some left over Mahogany. I am looking for a very simple finish to put on it. Just something that I can wipe on and will not show a water stain. BTW,The piece has a series of slats to allow water to drip through if it gets wet. I have never used BLO, or Tung oil, any thoughts?
    Thanks

Neither BLO or Tung are a good choice for this and your drainage slots complicate matters as you really must get your finish into those slots so water cannot get under your finish. Sticking with an oil based varnish, brushed or wiped will be simplest.

But mahogany is "weather resistant", so you could also consider leaving it unfinished which also means "no maintenance". No finish means you'll not have to re-finish when (not if) water gets under a film. You could also take the "cutting board" route and use mineral oil which is easily renewable. It doesn't "protect" but does add a little color enhancement when fresh.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,
    I thought about leaving it with no finish as you suggested but thought, any drips of water that does get on it will most likely be absorbed and would leave spots after it dries (not so good). I like the mineral oil idea, maybe the oil would repel water to a small extent and not show the spots. Is butcher block oil the same stuff? I have also seen Teak oil, is that the same? Thanks again for your help.

Butcher block oil is mineral oil is a laxative. Easy to find. No real protection from water, per se...you could do a 10% paraffin/90% mineral oil heated mixture which is also popular for cutting boards. The wax will add some beading that will be helpful. Renewable, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How big is it? Could it be possible to maybe dip it in a thing of varnish if you wanted to get a film finish? That way you'd get it into all the nooks & crannies.

Jim, that's a great idea. Have you done something like this before? How would I go about doing this and where do you get the paraffin. The piece is not that big but it would take a lot of varnish in a pan to dip it into.
    Thanks