Thread: Mandolin finish II

Mandolin finish II

OK Now What?

First time with shellac so I got the Bulls Eye spray. Thin first coat-let dry-used alcohol to blot(?) the surface- seemed smooth-let dry for overnight-applied second coat and noted some stippling- blot/rubbed with more alcohol-waited several hours-sprayed again and had similar finish texture.
    Whaddupp?? Shop is ~~55 deg.-all I had was isopropyl-not hugely important that this resemble a Stradivarius but would like to not be embarrassed when he opens it. Throw me a bone please. Thanks and Happy Holidays. John.

Isopropyl has water in it I would guess. Why blot with alcohol? The luthiers I talked to use DNA or if they can get it, (or make it), ethyl. Also spraying the stuff is a bit tricky. They use (and so have I) "spike oil" which smoothes out the drying and therefore the finish. This oil should be pure essential oil of peppermint or lavender. Only a drop or two in a pint of finish. Lavender smells better to me 'cause I didn't want the instrument so smell like candy canes. It worked for me on a violin or two. Oil can be gotten at health food store or soap making place.

Thanks Paul,
    I read on one of the webs that shellac can be smoothed with alcohol blotting. I imagine that in addition to having no shellac(ing) experience, I am way to impatient, even for the fast drying stuff. Can you sand/steelwool the surface to smooth the texture? Thanks again, JCB.

I would stay clear of isopropyl if you can avoid it unless someone who is more in the know tells you that it is okay. Isopropyl alcohol does contain water and it is just one more thing to worry about.

You can definitely sand shellac and with very good results. It will sand away very quick so build up a couple of coats of shellac first. Between build up coats I hit it with fine steel wool. I have become fond of rubbing out the last coat, when it is completely dry, with 0000 steel wool that is saturated with paste wax (minwax). Let the wax set up and buff out the surface with a soft cloth.

I know there are other threads on here dealing with shellac becuase I was looking for help about a year ago and asked a few questions of my own. You may try a search to bring up more info.