Thread: nothing says christmas like stolen credit cards...

nothing says christmas like stolen credit cards...

I was updating a piece of software I use, but hadn't used in awhile yesterday, and in this particular software's case on their website rather than purchasing an inclusive update you purchase individual upgrades successively, and due to the short string of charges from the same place, Discover blocked them with an automated theft detection mechanism they have.

Well, still needing the upgrades, I called this particular company on the phone and had a live person process the payments manually. First tried the Discover card and Discover still had them blocked, so I then gave them a Mastercard from Capital One, got it all done no problem.

Well lo and behold, Capital One calls and wakes me up this morning about suspecting fraudulent charges. It was the stereotypical stuff you usually see from stolen credit cards these days. A few bucks charged to a multitude of websites, mostly foreign and "buy this stuff and win a free Ipod" type things.

So I got to spend my morning canceling two credit cards and changing about 50 passwords from a laundry list of website accounts that had the same email registered that I had registered with the software company...

I did notify the software company and the supervisor I spoke to did take an interest by all indication so not posting their name as of yet.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 12-23-2008 at 9:29 PM.

The card companies have gotten a lot more proactive relative to potential fraud. I was buying two AMEX gift cards the other night...on the AMEX site...logged in with my AMEX credentials...and the second transaction got flagged. I called in immediately and deal with it, but it was certainly frustrating. But I also appreciative that they take fraud seriously. The agend did indicate that their system is a "learning" system, so I should be OK in the future with a similar situation.

But unless I"m misunderstanding, it sounds like you may have had an actual problem with your card numbers being used by someone else. Is that true?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

yes and i know with about 95% certainty it was the software company rep who stole it (or someone there).

i never use that card, it's not a credit card, it's a debit card on a checking account i have (capital one bought out the bank i used when i lived in new orleans and i still get rent income from there that's deposited into that account). so the fact that it hasn't been used in months and then gets used by someone else about the same time i give the number and rear code out over the phone isn't coincidental.

since i gave the same people the discover card first i had to cancel it too.

since the software company had the email i've used for account registrations at tons of websites like amazon, ebay, etc. i thought it prudent to change all of those passwords as well. not likely that the person could compromise passwords but then again we've seen that before with who was it in the news, tj maxx i think? transmitting personal info all over the place on WEP wifi.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 12-23-2008 at 9:48 PM.