Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wet tools!!

Wet tools!!

Minnesotan here. Trying to do some work in the garage usually means cranking up the propane heater during these chilly winter months. Past few days I ended up with a very wet jointer bed and table saw. INSTANT rust and a serious pain in the arse.

Question is, what do I do to cut down on the condensation or rust? Obviously it's gonna happen but thought maybe someone out there had an idea how I can get around some of it. Is there a way to treat the surfaces to cut down on it?
    Last edited by Jim Kappel; 12-14-2008 at 7:04 PM.

Wax

Use some of the car wax that you normally use on your Rolls Royce on all unpainted cast iron tool surfaces. It won't cure the problem with moisture in the air but it will help with the rusting.

Propane is a combustion heat and the byproduct is moisture. If you can get some other form of heat, that would go a long way toward helping the problem. Hope you can get them cleaned up OK. I had a similar problem related to a really quick damp front that came through one day last year when I had my shop door open. Fortunately, I was there when it happened. Everything was dripping wet. Took about two hours to get everything dry and cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Breckenridge View Post
    Use some of the car wax that you normally use on your Rolls Royce on all unpainted cast iron tool surfaces. It won't cure the problem with moisture in the air but it will help with the rusting.
    No. Car wax has silicone. That's the last thing you want on your wood.
    Use furniture wax.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Furniture wax - Johnsons paste wax specifically is what I use. I buy it at Lowes.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

John is correct. All organic chemicals (including propane) when burned primarily give off CO2 and water vapor. Because the machine surfaces are cold, you'll get instant condensation. Such a rapid swing in humidity isn't good for your lumber or work in progress, either.

One relatively inexpensive solution is an electric oil heater, though it will take longer to warm your garage to working temperature. These units are totally sealed and do not put water vapor into the air. A kerosene heater, by the way, will do the same thing as the propane heater.

Wow. Thanks for the tips. I never knew the huge condensation problem propane created. Man, it was amazing to see. I'd fire it up and within 15 minutes the tools were literally sweating! Very frustrating!

I just thought of something and want your advice. How about adding a few electric baseboards. Would that help? I could flip them on or off as I need them. Isn't that a pretty efficient source (electricity versus a gas source)? I'm not worried about how long it takes to heat up but rather saving the tools and limiting the condensation.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Jim Kappel; 12-14-2008 at 8:09 PM.

Even though I keep my iron surfaces well waxed, (furniture wax) hurricane Ike brought a ton of moisture to Michigan. I had surface rust overnight.
    I used a wire wheel in my drill to remove it, and reapplied the wax. 3 thick coats of it. WD40 works great too, but I didn't have any at the time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Boeshield T9 is one of the better protectants. However you might also want to think about reducing condensation to begin with. Unvented propane heaters are notorious for raisling humidity because the main by-product of propane combustion is water vapor. That combined with all that cold cast iron is a formula for rust. So in addition to applying Boeshield, paste wax, or some other protectant, some suggtestions:
    Cover your cast iron tools with old bedsheets or blankets.
    Consider replacing the propane unit with an electric or a real furnace (i.e. with a heat exchanger).
    Limit the amplitude of those thermal cycles. With the presence of humidity, letting the shop go totally cold just invites another condensation cycle. This can be a problem in most climates with just normal humidity levels. I try not to let my shop go below about 60 deg.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Propane is a combustion heat and the byproduct is moisture. If you can get some other form of heat, that would go a long way toward helping the problem. Hope you can get them cleaned up OK. I had a similar problem related to a really quick damp front that came through one day last year when I had my shop door open. Fortunately, I was there when it happened. Everything was dripping wet. Took about two hours to get everything dry and cleaned up.
    Not so sure thats what caused it John. Unless the propane heater vents directly back into the shop, which sounds like a really bad idea, I'd bet the moisture is condensation. Probably something to do with now warmer air being able to hold more moisture, making contact with cold iron surfaces, which are below the dew point.

Could be wrong, but irreguardless, the tools need protected. The best fix is to maintain a more constant temperature. Insulation, and some sort of climate control works wonders.

I don't know how well your shop is insulated. But my first outside shop was a 30 x 40 ft. x 10ft. garage. I finished it out and insulated it. I was able to keep it reasonable with three of those electric radiant heaters. The ones that look like little radiators. They helped to prevent condensation in the first place. Good luck.

Jim, I have baseboard heat in my shop and it works fine. However, if I were doing it again, I would combine some of the overhead radiant heaters. You see them in places that are open to a lot of air exchange - lumber yards, etc. I think I could work in a cooler environment with that type of heat.

Jim,

When I first started out it was with a kerosene heater, suffered the same raining effect, today I have a very well insullated shop with a 220 volt heater. When I leave the shop at the end of the day I turn the heat down (57-60), in the morning it only takes a few minutes to be back up to 70, also running the tablesaw, jointer/planer, bandsaw with the cyclone really moves the air and keeps it very pleasant. Get rid of the propane, make sure you are well insullated and your woodwork will be muck more enjoyable.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Seems this was talked about somewhere else , and it was mentioned a fan left running all the time kept the tools rust free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]hobby woodworking since 1972

Jim,

I'm with you in MN right now it is -5 and getting colder. It is also blowing like mad. I think the proplem you are having is more the fact that the cast iron and by that mater the whole shop was so cold and then you warmed it up with propane. I think the water you found was more a matter of condensation than a by product of the propane burning. The propane burning will give off some mosture but not the amount you are talking about. I think the real soulution is to keep the shop at a more constant temp, keep the air moving around, and protect the tools. I use the past wax when the tools are going to be down for awhile and bostik when they are being used regularly. My shop is unheated so I dont face the mosture problems right now. I have to wait to work until it warms up alittle. I usually will wait until 15 and warmer. I dont mind working then, if I keep moving I dont get cold. I have the biggest problems in the spring when it is warm out side and still snow on the ground or roof. It creates lots of condensation issues. Tools are still cold and the air is warm. That is the biggest reason I opted for the granite table saw.

Good Luck