Thread: Outfeed table

Outfeed table

The new Woodworker's Journal has an article on a fold-down outfeed table that looks pretty cool. I already have a fixed outfeed table, but this topic comes up so often that I thought I would point it out.

It is Woodworker's Journal, Feb 2009, page 50.

A fold down outfeed solution can be a very handy way to accommodate many needs. That's why I had one on the cabinet saw I used to run. (Article & plan on my web site)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used a couple Rockler hinges and a section of a torn apart cabinet to build one. Ran a couple dados for the miter gauge. Works great.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I prefer a fixed set-up myself. Once everything is level and set, it stays that way. I have 14' 6" to my back wall and most of that has solid surfaces to it. Makes for a really nice working area for ripping. When I have the luxury of a helper, they stand in the walkway and can help stack the cut off stock from sheets.
    But I can understand where a folding set-up would help, or be necessary, for some folks shops.

Sonny, you're absolutely correct. I think that a fixed outfeed setup is the "ideal" and if the shop space can support it, it's the way to go. When I originally built the design I came up with, my shop was quite small at about 17' x 21' The drop-down design meant that I had room to assemble a tall project if need be. Later on when the shop expanded to its present size, the outfeed table stayed up most of the time. Even then, however, there were a few instances that getting it out of the way was a nice ability.
    --

Never done it, but I'd think that a folding outfeed table could maintain its bearing to the tabletop surface, if the "legs" came off the cabinet of the saw rather then the floor? Couple hinges in the leg to let it fold like a pair of scissors, and it may work.

Steve, I used adjustable feet on the legs for my folding outfeed table and since the saw stayed in one place for long periods of time (only moving when the whole shop was re-arranged) there was no issue with calibration. Further, the outfeed table was set about 1/16" lower than the saw table, anyway, so minor variations really were not a factor.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Never done it, but I'd think that a folding outfeed table could maintain its bearing to the tabletop surface, if the "legs" came off the cabinet of the saw rather then the floor? Couple hinges in the leg to let it fold like a pair of scissors, and it may work.
    Most Table Saws are inherently a bit top heavy. Mine have been. So unless it is where it has to be rolled away for the wife's car to be garaged, some sort of stability would sure help when the leverage of the extension when it is in use.
    So think sizzor support, but a crutch (at least) for that tipsie factor. (Makes me think of a leg like a camping trailer or RV has.)
    It wouldn't necessarily have to make contact all the time, just be there if the outfeed got a load on it, or pushed, and it began to tip.

It's been very rare, but I have had some close calls with TS's and tipping. Kinda spoils your undies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sonny, you're absolutely correct. I think that a fixed outfeed setup is the "ideal" and if the shop space can support it, it's the way to go. When I originally built the design I came up with, my shop was quite small at about 17' x 21' The drop-down design meant that I had room to assemble a tall project if need be. Later on when the shop expanded to its present size, the outfeed table stayed up most of the time. Even then, however, there were a few instances that getting it out of the way was a nice ability.
    Hi Jim!
    Yep I was in an 18' X 21' shop before. I just couldn't seem to get comfortable. It was a hodge-podge.
    I'm now in a 20' X 20' and got real creative with the set-up before I actually began assembly. It's pretty comfortable, except for assembling big stuff.
    But I have my shop made table crossed ways of the out feed, but tight together. Kinda makes an island in the middle. With walking room all around.

Bigger shop? Yeah, nice dream. But then, I'd probably still put it together close so I didn't have to walk too far from one place to another. And use the extra room for assembly benches and storage areas.
    I told my wife when we moved into where we are that the only way I was ever going to move again was if I was sittin in my rocking chair watching some young guys hump the junk around. LOL!
    She's a good gal and has always respected my prerequisite's for a shop and an office for my compooter junk.
    I mostly want to make nice furniture and turnings. Not giant entertainment centers, or kitchens.
    So my current shop it set up tight and solid. Just a few roll-out tools. Nice for an ageing fart, with a wore out back. LOL!

Sonny, I like wheelie bars, rather than crutches. Sounds a bit more masculine

Good point there. It would ruin a good day to tip a TS. Probably screw up a whole month waiting on parts.

Good point too, Jim. Honestly is 1/8" deflection, 4 foot from the blade going to matter? Certainly not at my skill level.

I like the folding outfeed extension table over at Saws 'N Dust. It has a fixed extension that adds 12" and is cantilevered, the folding part used the drop-down leg for support.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Jim and Sonny that I prefer a stationary outfeed table if you have the space. If not, I would definitely get a folding outfeed table.

If you have a TS, you should really work towards getting a good outfeed table. It will be one of the best shop improvements that you will ever make.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution