Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What HF Stuff Is In Your Shop?

HF in my shop

The major tool from HF in my shop is the DP my Mrs. bought me for Christmas '07. I'm an upper begginer/LOW intermedete WW, it does what I need it to do, and I don't think I would know different. I have 3 brad nailers: a 18ga combo stapler/brad, which I learned to use only for staples, on brads it still leaves the same dimple, a 18 ga brad, and a 23 ga pin nailer. I like all three. I also bought a framer nailer when I built the lean-to add on to the my gararge, opps, I mean shop. I bought a box of 1000 nails then, and doubt I will ever shoot them all. I got a killer deal on 3/4 pipe clamps, on which I bought ~ a dozen, and I'm happy. I like thier casters, for the price. I have a truck load of lever (?) clamps, for jigs, I have yet to to use, but they were on sale. I have thier floor mats, which makes for happy feet. I did buy a laminte trimer, which I really don't like. I just don't like how it feels and handles. The fact that the first time I used it, the bearing on my flush trim bit shattered (jury's still out on wiether it was the bit or the router) didn't help. Sale price $16, so I was only out the price of MacDonlad's. My DC's the HF, with a Wynn Fiter upgrade, which does suck (pun intended). As far as major players (TS, BS etc.), I personally went, or would go in the furture, to the used market for "brand" names before I would by from HF. I guess all what this ramling means is, some HF is good, some not, Try all you buy within the FIRST 30 days...they will take back anything. Also buy on sale or with a coupon.

HF tools

Ditto on the drill, dry wall screw gun-pretty good, 4 brad nailer-stapler combos( different lenghts in ea. for covienience) work great, framing nailer- 5000+ nails going strong(21 degree nails hard to find) 3/4 pipe clamps- mine work fine, I have auto darkening welding helmet, vise clamps, angle magnets, 1 3/8- 3in. combo wrenches( broke a 1 5/8 by using a5 ft. pipe on it- they replaced it) several sets of wrenches ( for bending and modifying- hate to bend snap-on,but will) on my service truck. Most of what I've gotten at HF have served very well. Happy Woodworking, Craig

nothing-zero-zilch
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Big Stuff:
    *4'x8' folding trailer (12" wheels) - this this has been great and has saved me a ton of money in the long run - I pull it with my small SUV (no truck).
    *16 speed Drill Press - works great but I've got it geared for metal so it's in that area of the shop (I've got two old Deltas in the woodworking area)
    *34706 Wood Lathe - I learned how to turn on this but sold the unit (which I originally bought used) to another newbie turner. For the money I think it's the equivalent of the Jet that has the same configuration.
    *2 HP Dust Collector - this unit surpassed my expectations (I upgraded to a Wynn Canister) - sold it for pretty much what I paid to another woodworker when I upgraded to the GO440 cyclone

Smaller Stuff:
    *5" Radial vise - this thing is a beast and well worth the $30-40 cost when they go on sale
    *Chain Saw Sharpener - if you use a chain saw at all, this thing pays for itself the first time you use it (provided you got it on sale with coupon - about $24 if memory serves)
    *9" Woodworking quick-release vice. It's not as well made as my Record but not bad for a Chinese copy.
    *Wood Hand-screw clamps - I've got about a dozen of these and realistically they're of similar quality to the newer Jorgies I own.
    *Consumables like acid brushes (metal handled brushes for applying glues), bulk-pack paint brushes in 1" and 2" size, gloves, nitrile gloves, etc.
    *Tiny LED flashlights - got these for around $2 on sale and for that price you can put them everywhere.
    *Cheap gloves to use in the yard
    *Digging Bar and some other gardening tools

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

I have a set of the "Pittsburg" metric open end wrenches. They are fine. I also have this electric hoist:

It looks exactly the same as from other vendors, and I got it for $ 79 (880lbs capacity) with a coupon. Has worked great.

I have a dial indicator, a few nylon straps, gloves, etc. Odds and ends sorts of things that seem fine. I had a few bits from them that were sub-par. Learned my lesson, and I buy Whiteside or similar now.

I also have one of the 4" angle grinders, and a heat gun. Both have been just fine. No larger power tools from them.

I Have moved On....

I've spent more time returning HF tools to the store than actually using them, so I don't go there anymore.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

I have a HF air crown stapler for $12. that has out lasted my $80. PC. Their $2 push sticks are a bargain. $12. heat gun is great. Gloves ,glue brushes etc. Haven't wanted to risk any money on big ticket items. Although, I have been tempted by the shaper. Heavy duty for sure.

Nothing! I've been tempted by the prices but upon examination in the store I haven't found anything that looked like it was worth it.

Just bought a 12 ton HF hydraulic shop press. I had a bearing on the lower wheel of my bandsaw crap out on me last week and reasoned that the time spent searching for a auto or machine shop that had a hydraulic press to hire for pressing in the new bearings would cost me more than the $140 for the press from HF!

Cheers,
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

I have A HF 2HP Dust collector.

Joe

I have numerous HF items. Most are either occasional use items or things that after looking at them, seem to be a good deal and well made. I've also seen a lot of junk and bought a couple items that were duds. They've always taken the duds back without question.

Heres the things I can think of that I'm generally happy with:
    - Heat Gun
    - A couple of the 4-1/2" angle grinders. They aren't as good as my $100 Dewalt, but they are as good as the $40-50 ones most manufacturers sell (I tried a Dewalt and took it back because it was no better than my HF.) They may or may not last as long, but at 1/2 to 1/3 the price, its worth the risk. My dad says they are well regarded on the metalworking forums he frequents and guys don't claim to have any higher failure rates with them than the name brands.
    - Numerous vise-grip like welding clamps.
    - Magnetic welding triangles
    - Auto-dark welding helmet
    - A big swivel vise. I will admit that I am on the second. The first broke when I had it mounted in the hitch on my tractor and attempted to bend a 3/8" thick bracket for my neighbors' finish mower back into shape by putting all my weight on the other end--almost 5' away. I wouldn't recommend that after thinking about the whole torque = force x distance thing. That's around 1000 ft-lbs. For my regular use--holding items to be welded, I love it.
    - A universal bender for bending steel bar and tube.
    - Several measuring tools like calipers, dial indicator, and a test indicator. A professional machinist in my club says that they are more than adequate for anything most woodworkers ever need.
    - Numerous 5" casters which are really nice. They have a cast wheel and solid tire, available in both straight and swivel. My only complaint is that they don't don't have locks. Best part is that they are regularly on sale where you can get 2 swivel and 2 fixed for about $20.
    - some larger wheels with inflatable tires. I used those on my welder and plasma cutter carts for the non-swivel wheels because they roll really nicely over cords and hoses.
    - Several movers carts which are invaluable both for the intended purpose and for making items temporarily mobile in the shop, like my Parks planer waiting to be restored or my daughter's in-process vanity.
    - A stack of movers blankets. I use one when I'm in the final stages of a project to protect them from anything on the assembly bench, and for moving them into the house or transporting them.
    - Tie down straps--not much different from any I've gotten at the big box stores.
    - A couple "trucker" chains one of which rides on the tractor in a holder I attached to the loader frame. Helpful for anything like pulling brush to getting it or another vehicle unstuck (our back 8 gets pretty wet in the spring and early summer) or for using the loader as a crane for heavy items. They are rated ridiculously high for anything I'd ever put them through.
    - A twin stack compressor with an oiled pump which lives in the attached garage since my big IR compressor lives in the shop.
    - Plastic saw horses, though they aren't my favorite since they have a pinch-point. I've seen the same design elsewhere for more money. I like having a few sets around for setting up temporary tables for finishing, a garage sale, big party, etc and these work and don't beak the bank.
    - Supplies like super glue, nitrile gloves, microfiber cloths, red shop rags, terry cloth rags, chip brushes (even work well for quick-n-dirty finishing of shop items if you don't mind a few shed hairs), heat shring tubing and more.
    - Brad nailer and pinner
    - a set of REALLY big combination wrenches. I needed a few of the smaller sizes it contained for tractor items. They actually seem to be similar in quality to my Craftsman wrenches, though I obviously don't know anything about the metalurgy. I've used them though and haven't been afraid one would break. Plus they look cool hanging on the wall.
    - A clamp-on ammeter.
    - A 4x6 metal bandsaw. Though I am going to sell that since I just got a great deal on a Jet which has a better motor and nicer fit/finish.

My dad also has a ring roller I've borrowed a couple times and a bead roller, which I haven't had a use for but he's happy with it.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

What Scott said

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder View Post
    I've spent more time returning HF tools to the store than actually using them, so I don't go there anymore.
    Out of desperation, I have bought Harbor Freight tools just to get my shop up and going.
    Just about everything I bought over this past year has died....some several times. They exchange stuff pretty much with no problem but that only leads to the next trip to return the 'newer' replacement.
    I had every single electric tool die from anywhere to bad swirches to just burn up even when not under load. Their air nailers work almost OK but their air staplers will only work on soft pine. Their air fittings all leak and the ends of their hoses blow off and the hoses are too stiff. Their pipe clamps either grip too loose or dont fit the pipe. Their trigger type clamps can only take a light clamping or they will break. Their woodworking vise broke in a very short period of time. Their router table with the router vibrates and buzzes and the motor has been replaced 3 times in the past year. Everythiong from burnt motors to bad bearings. Their spray guns leak. Drills...bad bearings and burnt motors. I'm sure I am leaving a lot of stuff out.
    I just dont have anything good to say about them. I would think that anyone reading this thread would steer clear of them.
    Their prices are very tempting.
    Wait....their most expensive turning tools are really not bad at all. I was surprised at that. But then again, I dont do any serious turning at the moment.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Roy Bennett Guest

HF Mortise Machine

I have a HF benchtop mortise machine. After quite a bit of work on the bits and the addition of a HF x-y vice, it works great. Not bad @ $100 for the machine + $30 for the vice!

Well to answer, I will just say plenty and leave it at that.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

I have to be honest; none in my shop. This isn't because I refuse to shop there, I just haven't.