Thread: Beveled glass price

Beveled glass price

Wondering if this is normal or is our local glass company running up thier price because they have a monopoly.

I had them quote me a price for 1/4" glass at 43"X19" with a 1/2" wide bevel. Quote was $115 and change. Is this high or a fair price through your experiance is glass.

Thanks for any input you may have, Doug

Are you getting glass for that coffee table? I'm a little fuzzy on it, but I'm thinking my BIL got glass for the one he gave us for around $90, but he also lives near Indy. Bevelled glass is special order. (He also broke one and had to re-order). From what he said, though I would highly recommend using some heavy paper to make a template of the area the glass is to set into. You'll probably also want to make sure you get a "rolled and polished" edge. Also, IMHO, the glass looks/works better with the bevel side down, flat side up.
    Last edited by Jason Roehl; 06-16-2004 at 7:02 PM.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

BTW, which glass shop are you going to? I know of one down in C-ville where you live, or, I could point you to one in Lafayette that's not too far from SIA, and on the south side.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    BTW, which glass shop are you going to? I know of one down in C-ville where you live, or, I could point you to one in Lafayette that's not too far from SIA, and on the south side.

Jason, if you know of a glass place in Lafayette I'd be happy to hear of them. The quote I got came from Morgan Glass here in Crawfordsville. As for placing the glass in the table the plans call for a brown colored sponge type tape (weather stripping) to be placed on the rabbited fitting first then lay the glass on top of the tape. I'll do a dry fit first though to see which way I like the bevel to face. And thanks for the "rolled and polished edge" info , I never thought of that.

Its good to hear from you again also, everyday I go home from work, I think of you and your family. Wabash has a whole line of trailers out in the yard with the name "ROEHL" on the sides.

Doug, Lafayette Glass Co. Take SR38 into Lafayette from SIA, turn left on US52(Sagamore Pkwy), turn right on Teal Rd. Lafayette Glass is about 1/4 mile down on the left (south) side of the road. About the paper, use it to give the glass company an exact shape of the area the glass is to set into, don't just give them a measurement. I went with the bevelled side down so that the top was flat all the way across--less likely to tip a glass or other object over on the table.

There's also a place in Lafayette called Gillham's Glass, but I've never dealt with them, nor do I know where their shop is--I've just seen their trucks around.

Roehl Trucking is based in WI somewhere, is pronounced the same as my last name according to their website, but is no relation that anyone in my family has been able to track down. Pretty rare name, though.
    Jason

The trick to buying fancy glass is to find out where the glass dudes are getting it...a lot of them don't do it themselves. A buddy of mine bought a 36" round 1/2" beveled a couple years back and the various price quotes were up to $300 different. Eek!

KC

Thanks Jason, Lafayette Glass quoted me under $60 for the same piece that Morgan Glass quoted at $115.+. I think I found a new glass supplier.

Kirk, thanks for your input as well. I don't know any glass dudes are but I'll keep an eye open.