Thread: Dust collection recommendation

Dust collection recommendation

Hi,

I have drill press and small 10" bandsaw. I am going to be adding Ridgid spindle sander and belt/disc combo sander very soon.

I need a dust collection that is effective, portable, simple, and don't cost arm and a leg.

I am also renting a space so it should not be permenant or major installation.

recommendations?

thanks, David

The drill press arguably does not need dust collection. I am not sure what you band saw has for SC port but I have the Ridgid Sander and it certainly uses a shopvac style hose.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Ok, if shop vac will do the job, what shop vac would you recommend?

I have the Rigid but as far a recommendations I will tell you it sounds like a 747 is taking off. Most of the shop vacs will be loud and many of them have about the same power so just get the one that fits your budget and when you get more mony for an upgrade, get a tool activated one. More$$$
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Song View Post
    Ok, if shop vac will do the job, what shop vac would you recommend?
    David... dont be fooled into thinking a shopvac is a dust collector. If you decide to add more tools(and believe me, you will)then you are going to need a true dust collector. Buy one of the 650cfm Delta, Jet, Harbor Freight, or Grizzly collectors. This is a good place to start, and you will get much better performance for the same, or slightly more money than one of the name brand shopvacs.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

For what you have, and the portability issue, I agree with Dewey that a shop vac is your best bet right now.
    You will want one anyway later on.
    I, too, have a Rigid shop vac. I bought it about 12 years ago as a temporary unit. It just won't die.
    Mine is the model that the motor comes off and can be used as a blower (like a leaf blower).
    What is most important about a shop vac is to make sure it uses a separate fan for the motor's cooling needs. Mine has that.
    The reason is it cools the motor no matter how much or how little air is actually moving through the hoses or canister.
    So it can be run in a static condition, no flow through the hose at all. And not hurt it. (Remember, temporary, going on 12 years now )

I bought mine with a manifold system in mind. So it runs against closed gates as a normal condition. Then I gate in whatever I want it to work on (IE: ROS, Hand held router, biscuit cutter...).
    Or to move from one corner to another with a hose from gate to gate.

You can get a muffler for shop vac's now. Never used one myself, but I'd recommend you think about it.
    Mine discharges into my DC barrel, and ultimately out the DC's final filter. Muffles it real good.

Alternatives to a shop vac:
    Oneida Dust Cobra
    Oneida Mini Gorilla (You'd have to neck it down)
    Either of those would be considered lifetime investments. Meaning they could last as long as you are working wood. And they would have good resale value should things change. And they are made to be portable.
    But the prices, compared to a shop vac, makes my sphincter pucker.
    And like I said, I'm waiting for my shop vac to die.

I'm just not clear on which direction to go.

I read on other threads and review, that shop vac like Fein or Festool are being used to suck dust when using sander, bandsaw, etc.
    They cost $400 and up.

I also see that dust collection from Delta and Steel City selling for around $300 ish.

Do you guys get both? or one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by David Song View Post
    I'm just not clear on which direction to go.

I read on other threads and review, that shop vac like Fein or Festool are being used to suck dust when using sander, bandsaw, etc.
    They cost $400 and up.

I also see that dust collection from Delta and Steel City selling for around $300 ish.

Do you guys get both? or one or the other?
    The dust collection tool has to be sized to the tool you're using.

A large cabinet saw will require a large dust collector.

A small sander or even a small bandsaw will work with a shop vac just fine.

Another thing to consider is that, when connection to tools with 2-1/2" ports, a dust collector with a 4" hose will lose a lot of its ability to remove the dust.

So long story somewhat short, I'd start with a shop vac. Some day, when you get a big table saw or jointer or something else, you can ALSO get a large dust collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Edmonds View Post
    For what you have, and the portability issue, I agree with Dewey that a shop vac is your best bet right now.
    You will want one anyway later on.
    I, too, have a Rigid shop vac. I bought it about 12 years ago as a temporary unit. It just won't die.
    Mine is the model that the motor comes off and can be used as a blower (like a leaf blower).
    What is most important about a shop vac is to make sure it uses a separate fan for the motor's cooling needs. Mine has that.
    The reason is it cools the motor no matter how much or how little air is actually moving through the hoses or canister.
    So it can be run in a static condition, no flow through the hose at all. And not hurt it. (Remember, temporary, going on 12 years now )

I bought mine with a manifold system in mind. So it runs against closed gates as a normal condition. Then I gate in whatever I want it to work on (IE: ROS, Hand held router, biscuit cutter...).
    Or to move from one corner to another with a hose from gate to gate.

You can get a muffler for shop vac's now. Never used one myself, but I'd recommend you think about it.
    Mine discharges into my DC barrel, and ultimately out the DC's final filter. Muffles it real good.

Alternatives to a shop vac:
    Oneida Dust Cobra
    Oneida Mini Gorilla (You'd have to neck it down)
    Either of those would be considered lifetime investments. Meaning they could last as long as you are working wood. And they would have good resale value should things change. And they are made to be portable.
    But the prices, compared to a shop vac, makes my sphincter pucker.
    And like I said, I'm waiting for my shop vac to die.
    Hi Sonny,

Thanks for the help!

Fan for motor cooling need? Would following vacuums have what you're talking about?
    http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-QPL40...112154&sr=1-85

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...524502#reviews

Or do I need somthing like Fein Tubro 3 ?

David
    Last edited by David Song; 02-08-2009 at 12:01 PM.

I am going to bear in mind that you want to get started with a decent dust collection system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. What I am going to suggest is not top of the line, but will serve a lot of your needs.

I have a Craftsman shop vac, the 20 gal model. It has plenty of power. Go online to their website, look it up, and read customer reviews. I recently bought one for $88 to replace the Craftsman that I had for 22 years.

Next, go to www.clearvuecyclones.com. Look up the mini cyclone CV06. It uses just the power of the shopvac. It keeps just about all the sawdust from your shopvac, which you will find will be continually clogged up using it alone. It cost $120+$15 shipping. It is one of the best investments I have ever made. Also, it does a very good job collecting from my jointer and planer. Don't let the nay sayers tell you different. On their website, under Product Info/Videos, watch the demo for the mini. It works in real life just like the video.

Hi Ya Back, David.
    I can't really tell from what they give you to munch on.
    So I went digging around on Amazon.com for shop vacs. Man, what an eye opener!
    I liked this one when I saw it.
    And this one, The reviews say it is loud. But I don't put a lot of credence in the reviews. One guy berates it because he booger it up with dry wall dust. Dry wall dust requires a very specialized vacuum.
    You could always go with the canister types like most of us have. (the ones like you found)

I tried searching "blower/vacs" and then mined down.
    Low and Behold I found one I would recommend. It is a detachable blower. Not that you would use it a lot for that. But I know these types for sure have a separate blower to cool the motor.
    And if you did happen to want to blow out the shop, you'd be all set.

So keep poking around and see what you like and fits your budget.
    Drop me a PM or email if you want to ask anything. I don't always follow threads too close.

I recently bought a Rigid shop vac and really like it. It was a replacement to a Lowe's shop vac which I also liked, but this one is quieter, moves around better and seems to work a little better. Here's a link....

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryID=524502

Scott

Get a clearstream filter for whatever shop vac you get. they are so much easier to clean. Supposedly, they filter out finer materials better too.