Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Much Information.....TMI

Too Much Information.....TMI

I was looking through advertisements for auctions in the area and noticed one auction had a few items of interest.....and then after reading the advertisement a few times to ensure old eyes read correctly, it stated, "Terms of the sale are cash or check guaranteed with a credit card. All buyers must have a fingerprint on file (which we can take on sight (sic) if you have not done so already). This is for Cox Auctions in Ohio.

Who in the right mind would allow someone to take your fingerprint in order to do business at an auction, especially if you pay them cash for the transaction?

I remember buying a house in 1996 and the escrow company insisted on a full set of fingerprints. I got pissed and asked if they wanted a blood test and a stool sample, as well, and it almost cost me the house. I caved because I had to...

i have bought every car I've ever owned with full cash money (no credit, no payments) and every dealer still forces me to have my credit checked. Without the credit check, they won't sell the car. I bought my kids a little 80cc ATV and the same thing happened!

Ive noticed that people under 40 have a much higher tolerance for this kind of invasion (forfeiture) of privacy. They just don't seem to be bothered by it. It's a tough thing for me to deal with, personally. I hate it.

but there is nothing I can do about it. If I want to get certain things done, I have to give myself up to it. It's a crazy society we've crafted in this regard and I am not a fan.

on a similar note, why do I seem to be the only human being left who actually deals in green cash money? Everyone I know uses their phone or a card these days. They spend $3.59 at a local taco shack and they whip out the card.... it's not my style...

What's the situation nowadays with birth certificates and fingerprints or foot prints? To get my driver's license renewed, I'm required to present my birth certificate. But birth certificates of my era didn't have fingerprints or footprints with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    I remember buying a house in 1996 and the escrow company insisted on a full set of fingerprints. I got pissed and asked if they wanted a blood test and a stool sample, as well, and it almost cost me the house. I caved because I had to...

i have bought every car I've ever owned with full cash money (no credit, no payments) and every dealer still forces me to have my credit checked. Without the credit check, they won't sell the car. I bought my kids a little 80cc ATV and the same thing happened!

Ive noticed that people under 40 have a much higher tolerance for this kind of invasion (forfeiture) of privacy. They just don't seem to be bothered by it. It's a tough thing for me to deal with, personally. I hate it.

but there is nothing I can do about it. If I want to get certain things done, I have to give myself up to it. It's a crazy society we've crafted in this regard and I am not a fan.

on a similar note, why do I seem to be the only human being left who actually deals in green cash money? Everyone I know uses their phone or a card these days. They spend $3.59 at a local taco shack and they whip out the card.... it's not my style...
    I find myself going the card router for every purchase i make these days. I only need to swipe it, quick and easy.
    My opinion on privacy is that it does not really exist any more, that it is just the illusion of privacy that remains,

I have to keep my finger prints on file with the Fed's.
    Every 5 years they take another set.
    I always ask if they've changed.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-02-2017 at 7:59 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I am guessing that baby footprints are strictly hospital security protocol in case of an abduction and to aid in the case of a mixup, it does happen.
    NOW you tell me...

It drives me nuts when I'm in the drive-thru at Tim Horton's and as I watch the cars ahead of me pull up to the window and she hands them the debit machine. Some are fairly quick and some take forever to hand it back and then she hands them ONE COFFEE!!!! ... I feel like screaming.. "CARRY 2 BUCKS WITH YOU!!!" I like it when the debit and credit is down at the grocery store and the lineups are 6 deep at every register.. I move straight to the front with cash while everyone stands there wondering how to pay for their groceries!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Ditto. LOL. Although our woodworking activities theoretically could cause blank spaces in the record...

------

Barry...get used to it. We are very quickly moving to a cashless society. VISA/MC currently even has a program where they are rewarding some firms (primarily restaurants) to not accept cash; only VISA/MC. Personally, I rarely use cash, myself...just CC or electronic payment, like ApplePay. I hit the ATM about once every four months or so to restore my emergency stash to $100.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-02-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cash always works. After three hacking incidents, I only use my debit card for a couple of specific retailers for gas and groceries. Otherwise, I get cash at my banks ATMs for everything else.

I do remember a few years in the '70s when my bank required a thumbprint to cash a check. Implanted chips are on the way.

on a similar note, why do I seem to be the only human being left who actually deals in green cash money?
    It's cash for me for most local things around the farm, hay, buildings, equipment, whether $15 or $15K. I use credit card for online and card for SMC classifieds (PayPal), paid off in full every month.

Ain't no way I'm gonna give my fingerprints to an auction company. Anyone who wants to can do a credit check, they may be surprised.

The last fingerprints I HAD to provide were for a government Secret classification clearance. I could say more about that but then I'd have to kill you.

JKJ

I don't understand how people can be so trusting of handing a credit card to a restaurant employee earning minimum wage and letting them walk away with it for 5 minutes. Seems like a recipe for credit card fraud. I try to always carry enough cash for the meal including a mix of 1's and 5's so I don't have to wait for change.

The OP must be at an auction with a lot of confiscated goods. Are they trying to screen out the riff raff? I am hesitant to give away my fingerprints for a cash purchase.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I don't understand how people can be so trusting of handing a credit card to a restaurant employee earning minimum wage and letting them walk away with it for 5 minutes. Seems like a recipe for credit card fraud. I try to always carry enough cash for the meal including a mix of 1's and 5's so I don't have to wait for change.
    Because at most its a minor inconvenience to the cardholder. Sure, you can make the argument it costs everyone which is why the banks are working on fraud detection. We've had a few issues over the years, likely from the exact scenario you mention, but its never cost me a dime, and I can't remember the last time fraud detection didn't shut it down pre-authorization. At least 10 years. We've had more trouble with fraud detection stopping legitimate transactions, which simply requires a phone call and reswiping the card.

And I love ApplePay. Very fast, very secure from what I've seen unless someone steals my phone and my thumb.

The news showed one company that now gives their employees the option of inserting a chip in their hand, to open security doors and operate the vending machines.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    The news showed one company that now gives their employees the option of inserting a chip in their hand, to open security doors and operate the vending machines.
    and the sheeple will be compliant and trusting that all will be well. Have we become a dumbed down society?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Did the same for 35 years. I don't miss filling out the security questionnaires one bit, retirement is nice.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney