Thread: Kerf's Wood Cream

Kerf's Wood Cream

Anyone ever try this stuff? It appears to be mineral oil wixed with beeswax and other ingredients to create a food-safe finish. (PLEASE do not turn this into a food-safe debate... that's NOT my question here!) A local furniture store was selling this stuff and I thought it might be worth trying.

I will not use walnut oil due to allergies in the family, and I've used mineral oil in the past. I imagine that since it's mineral oil based, it will not cure (the site mentions reapplying over time) but does adding wax to the mineral oil give a more robust or attractive finish?

http://kerfswoodcream.com/

I don't have that exactly, but something along the lines of it. And I can't say I've noticed the wax making an application last longer or improve the 'oiled' look. Mine I need to reapply regularly.

Pat,
    I think I used that on a bad rash I had once but not sure?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    Pat,
    I think I used that on a bad rash I had once but not sure?

Bob
    That must have been their "lavender lotion" variety!

Is the topic under discussion anything like the "Finish feeder" from Minwax? I came into a bottle of this stuff by accident and am not real sure on the proper application or purpose for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    That must have been their "lavender lotion" variety!
    No, no, no. I thought everyone knew to use Kerf's Lemon Luster for Wood on rashes........but only if it is DRY rash. (Manufacturer makes no claims for the product other than its intended use.) If one is concerned about any human reaction to walnut oil, Kerf's Products are the ticket. They can also be used over other non-surface type finshes to revitalize and maintain the natural beauty of the wood. The beeswax and plant waxes do provide some surface protection against moisture and airborne dirt. I refer you to Richard Raffin regarding this type of finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Collard View Post
    If one is concerned about any human reaction to walnut oil, Kerf's Products are the ticket.
    Anne, Any idea what oils are used in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Anne, Any idea what oils are used in it?
    Patrick, here is some info from the website FAQ's that might help you:

What is the main oil in the Kerf's Products?

After much research and many trial batches with walnut and other oils, we decided to use kosher, white mineral oil. It is very stable and non-reactive. We purchase this product from a family owned company in Seattle which supplies products and food ingredients to the baking industry. The price of this ingredient fluctuates greatly but we believe in consistent pricing of our products and absorb ingredient and supply increases as much as possible. Why not use walnut oil? Walnut oil is unstable and needs to be boiled before using for treating wood which ruins the oil's positive health properties and turns it noxious. To be cost effective, the walnut oil used in treating wood is solvent extracted from the nuts and contains residual amounts of the solvent, typically hexane. Also, walnut oil can cause skin and respiratory reactions, ranging from mild to severe, in sensitive individuals. If used frequently, boiled walnut oil is known to cause sensitization over time even in people who did not originally have nut sensitivities.

If you need more information or have other questions regarding ingredients, please contact me via kerfs@earthlink.net or call 360-738-3369.

I wonder if it will help with the rough patch on my elbow???
    John 3:16