Thread: G1023SLW Router Extension Table and Shopbuilt Fence

G1023SLW Router Extension Table and Shopbuilt Fence

Finally got around to installing a router in the extension wing of the Griz 1023SLW that was purchased early this spring. The router is a Freud FT3000. The install was straightforward, but wish I had built a jig to drill the larger holes for the adjustment access. Not much of a metal worker, and did not account for the drift on the larger bits. Doesn't look pretty, but a little work with a rasp and it is functional.

The fence was built from scraps scavanged from a friend at a local cabinet shop. Considered Baltic Birch. Woodcraft has some, but these scraps looked pretty good at $15. for these pieces and nearly 1/2 sheet of 1/2" prefinished maple that I am going to use to make a crosscut sled.

Used Kreg t-track and 1/4x20 t-bolts with knobs for the fence sliders. The top track will be used for featherboards, etc. and the mounting board is glued and pinned. The MagSwitch on the saddle is the larger one and locks down like a vise. What doesn't show in the pics is the slicktape on the extensions and along the top board above the track.

I have a DC drop over my TS and will have a disconnect set up with flex hose just like I have for the planer and jointer. Probably should have waited until it was connected to take pics and make this post.

I am real pleased with the setup and want to thank all that have shared various ideas on SMC. None of this is my design, just the result of an accumulation of ideas offered by others. A little here, a little there, and pretty soon - a hybrid fence!

Next addition to the extension will be to add a miter slot along the front edge. I have a narrow piece of plywood dadoed, and the miter track. Just need to work on the connection to make it secure. Will probably notch the front TS rail for the miter slot during the install.

Thanks again to everyone for all the information available on the creek! Awesome bunch of folks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks like ya did a wonderful job on that ... I'd be proud of it!!!
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

What kind of DC adapter is that you used? Is it a plumbing fitting? Great job on the router addition.

Jeff, it was a 4" to 2.5" adapter I got at the local Woodcraft. I looked online to try to get a link for you, but couldn't find it. It is used to go from 4" to a shop vac hose. Friction fits perfectly to the router shroud that also came from Woodcraft.

That looks like a winning design. It goes in my future projects file.

How solid does it feel when putting pressure against the fence. I sometimes push pretty hard against the fence when routing to keep things under control. Does it move on you?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

John, I wouldn't have attempted a "saddle" fence on my previous TS fence. But the ShopFox fence has been very stable for me and it shows no movement. The MagSwitch seems very solid, but I don't think the stress or force in that direction is as great - although it certainly could create problems if the fence moved into the bit. Overall, it seems extremely solid - but, again, some fences may not support this setup.

Hi, I'm somewhat new to SawMillCreek - have read alot of the threads. Anyway, I was looking at your magswitch(s) attached to the Biesemeyer fence and thought what a great way to attach hold-down jigs for other purposes and not drill and tap into the fence itself. What do you think?

Fred, I have had no problems with the setup I have, but it is critical that the mag switch have direct contact with the top of the fence. So, when you design your jigs, the depth of the top will need to be dead on.

Thanks for your reply! After looking at your set up with the magswitches it seemed that I could use them to position featherboards anywhere on the fence as needed very quickly once and without alot of fuss once the bracket to hold the magswitches was made. I had been contemplating adding t-track to the top of the fence to keep with workpiece down but this seems it would be easier and possibly even more functional. Too, I would have the magswitches for even other uses around the shop if needed. I now have one magswitch with featherboards on both sides and love it because it's so easy to use - much easier than using the featherboards with the TS t-slot (however, I do use them every so often - but prefer the magswitch featherboard). I was contemplating using the Rockler fence clamps with a sacrificial fence face and adding t-track to that also. I love those Rockler fence clamps - very easy to use and very adjustable compared to every other dealers.

I'm somewhat new to woodworking and find this site very helpful. I had (still have) a Makita bench top table saw with the Rouesseau table) but now I am the recent very proud owner of the Steel City hydrid saw with cast iron top, purchased the Peachtree cast iron router extension for it (that's why I went for the cast iron top instead of the granite top). I then installed the Woodpeckers Quicklift in the extension with the Porter Cable 7518 as a dedicated router. Along with table saw I have a bench top drill press along with a sliding miter saw (just recently attached the Laserkerf on it) - I very much have the basics - all are a joy to use. I made miter saw and drill press stands from the Rockler shop stands and they are great - very mobile and strong - love them.

Currently I just make alterations to my house but would love to start making some Arts & Crafts/Craftsman, Stickely, and Shaker furniture.

I subscribe to Woodsmith, Shopsmith, and Popular Woodworking. I pick up Woodworking and other magazines if my wife allows me (or I can sneak them in).

My next big purchases will be band saw, joiner, and planer - then I should have most of the big purchases covered. I'm looking at the Jet for both - the 10" combo joiner/planer and their new 10" band saw. I work out of 1/2 my two car garage and can't afford the space of much bigger tools than these. In fact, I have an attic above the garage and store most of my tools that are portable up and out of the way (that also keeps them out of site from "friends" who want to borrow a tool - they can't borrow the TS or router table).

Fred, welcome to the Creek. This is a great place with great people. It sounds like your on your way. One tool at a time, and before you know it you are all set.

John, that is a great set up. I really like the saddle design with the mag switch. I have been wanting to make a feather board for my table saw fence. The only problem is with a T-square fence, the fence is easy to lift up. No side to side movement, but it will lift. I think the heaviest mag switch will be good to keep the fence down, and your saddle design with mag switch will work great for the feather board.

You did a great job John, Sam

nice fence/jig set-up

Blog Entries
    Nice set up, John. I had tagged your previous fence posting and will also keep this one for future reference.

Fred, welcome to the Creek. Lots of good help here. One comment I would add is that as you add equipment to your shop, consider a 14" bandsaw rather than 10". Also, consider being a contributor. Cna't beat the amount of help you can get for $6.

Was trying to figure out why John was over here in the "flat work" forum, I hadn't seen a stray lathe running around, then I saw the original date!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.