Thread: My putty got hard.

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)

My putty got hard.

Guys, gals, is there any way to make old wood putty, that has gone hard in the little jar, soft and usable again?

Let it go, Randall. This puttys time on Earth has passed.

Blog Entries
    If it is Timbermate, just add some water and soften it up, otherwise I agree with Kevin.

I have used acetone to revitalize wood dough.. with mixed results.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Depending on what kind of putty it is water, lacquer thinner or vegetable oil - one of those will probably work to soften it up.

Plastic Wood

i only use two kinds of putty in my shop for all general wood filling I use plastic wood and I buy the large can because it is half the price of the small one. I have revived this putty many times until it is used by just adding enough acetone to get to the consistency that I want. For larger repairs and things that need to hold on there own I buy putty sticks which are a two part epoxy that you cut off what you need and knead it together. One or the other always fits the bill
    Steve

Color putty softens up with mineral spirits. I'm talking about the premixed little jars that painters use when filling nail holes in woodwork.

What brand id the wood putty? That lets us know what to recommend.

I was hesitant to open this message based upon the subject line.

All kidding aside, I personally have never had any luck revitalizing wood puttys after they set. I would just get new, is it worth the time and effort for 4-6$ for a new container of wood putty ?
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Just another reason to buy Timber Mate.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have used acetone with good results also.

The easiest way to find what will soften it is to go online and consult the MSDS of the product to see what its components are then you will know exactly what will be compatabile.

I have kept the colored putty in the small jars for years. When I finish using it I pad down the remaining putting in the jar and fill the remainder of the jar with water. Then, I tighten the cap slightly with my channel lock pliers to get a good seal. This will keep the putty for a long time. When I need it again, I open the jar, pour out the water and the putty is like new. I do the same for my window putty. Works great.