Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Ornament Exchange????????

why not?

i'm in!

great idea curt!
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

BUMP
    Christmas is coming, Christmas is coming, Charistmas is coming.

This is a list of those who have shown an interest so far.....Anyone else want to get in on it or get out of it?

SMC Holiday Ornament Exchange list…..

Nancy Laird
    Ken Fitzgerald
    Pete Jordan
    Chris Rolke
    Doug Jones
    Bill Blasic
    Andy Hoyt
    Kevin McPeek
    Tyler Wood
    Paul Heely
    Bernie Weishapl
    Bonnie Campbell
    Dennis Peacock
    Tom Sherman
    Bill Wyko
    Jim Becker
    Larry Marley
    Shane Whitlock
    Wayne Boian
    Bill Stevener
    John McCoy
    Bobby McCarley
    Adam Tracksler
    John Taylor
    Brian Weick
    Christopher Hartley
    Richard Madison
    Jeffrey Fusaro

Curt,
    toss mine name in the hat.

Bob

Put me on the list. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Hey Curt,

How about a quick tutorial or link on how to make these things for those of us that have never made one or are new to turning? How 'bout it bud? Some of us need a little help.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Does it have to be an ornament or can it be a Christmas decoration? I have a couple ideas for decorations that are not going to fit on a tree? Would these be acceptable, or do they need to be tree ornaments?
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Hey Curt,

How about a quick tutorial or link on how to make these things for those of us that have never made one or are new to turning? How 'bout it bud? Some of us need a little help.
    I second Dennis!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Hey Curt,

And I third Dennis.

Nancy (80 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

a fella in our turning club gave a demo on ornaments last year. pretty interesting. his ornaments were hollow. i've never hollowed anything before - at least not intentionally.

do they need to be hollow? or, can i just include a disclaimer that my ornament should be hung on a low christmas tree branch that's at least 1" in diameter?

maybe i should include an eye hook and a ball of twine for anchoring the tree to the back wall? just a thought...

this oughta be a hoot!
    best regards,

jeffrey fusaro

I decided to try making one, this weekend, and found it pretty fun. Hollowing is kinda scary, so drilled the blank and slid it onto a jam chuck to turn down the body to 1/16" while supported.

I was using the project in Barry Gross' Learn to Turn, which is nearly the same as this one: http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...rd%20House.pdf

Maybe by Christmas I'll have an Eliminator to make hollowing less scary.

-jon-

Me, too, and design ideas

I'll commit, too. Love the idea.

For Wayne & John & John and others who are shy about sharing their turning with others or concerned about finding an ornament design to start their creative juices, if you google "turned wood ornament" you'll find LOTS of things to look at. Like 1.4 million hits!

Old woodworking magazines have ideas that range from turned Christmas tree/Hannukkah bush ornaments to snowmen, icicles, bells, or other very simple shapes to complex segmented designs. Bird house ornaments, school bell ornaments, hollow balls with icicles, candlesticks, or olde-timey lampposts. Just wood, stained, painted, pierced, burned, burls, barks, acrylics, metals, and other variations on the theme.

Nick Cook did a simple snowman icicle ornament as part of his class a few years ago. One of our local guy has sold about 50 of them every year since he took Nick's class! Bob Rosand sells HUNDREDS of his little hollow globe ornaments every year, many of them painted by his wife.

A couple of years ago, an Army wife sent out a note saying that she'd gotten permission to send her hubby a small artificial Christmas tree and was hoping that her friends and his would take the time to provide some small thing to hang on the tree, maybe something that would be meaningful to him or the others in their barracks. He has really taken to her two boys and they look to him as their daddy figure. I pondered quite a while about what it was that I'd send him. Our club was making tops for one of our projects and it dawned on me. I took a piece of cedar that was harvested from near their home in Kansas and turned him two tops. They were similar, especially since they came from the same chunk of wood, but they were different. Wrote him a little note about how "his boys" were also each unique and hoped that when he saw or played with the tops, he'd think about them and maybe drop them an email to tell 'em he was thinking of them. Took a piece of neoprene tubing and fit the "handles" so they'd tuck up inside the tube so that he could hang the tops from the tree.

Don't be intimidated, Wayne & John & John (and any other turning newbies). IT'S FUN AND IT'S THE SPIRIT OF THE THING!! C'mon in, the water's fine!

When do you think you might provide details on distribution, Curt?
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

I would like to try an ornament if it is not too late to join the exchange.

Thanks.

Looks like fun I am in too.