Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Do I really want Lie Nielsen?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post
    Even the crappiest beer will get you drunk, it is just more pleasant with Guinness
    Crap. You just ruined all my arguments in favor of the cheap seats. When you make an analogy with BEER of course it makes more sense. #@$%

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I find that dropping either one of them on a concrete floor is also met with similar results. A lot of cussing and swearing
    Boy you can say that again! I was transporting a batch of cherry ale I had made down to the basement for storage and the box ripped. I lost a six pack. What a mess. And it was my beer... Haven't dropped any planes yet though.

By the way, brewing your own beer is economical. You can have premium live ale for about 75 cents a bottle. Its like fettling an old stanley plane and you get the performace of a LN for much less. I've found that if you also make some sweet white wines SWMBO is in favor of the hobby.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-08-2008 at 9:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Pattee View Post
    I've found that if you also make some sweet white wines SWMBO is in favor of the hobby.
    Unfortunately for me, SWMBO isn't a fan of beer or wine. Now, if I could home brew Jameson's

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Pattee View Post
    By the way, brewing your own beer is economical. You can have premium live ale for about 75 cents a bottle. Its like fettling an old stanley plane and you get the performace of a LN for much less. I've found that if you also make some sweet white wines SWMBO is in favor of the hobby.

My wife loves beer so I can avoid the wine thing. Are you doing all grain? My stout comes out to 33c/bottle. I keg it too, so dropping it isn't a problem. Keeping the dogs away from the taps is though!

I find that dropping either one of them on a concrete floor is also met with similar results. A lot of cussing and swearing

I'll take a nice Anejo anyday.
    Can't recall having a beer fatality in the shop, but definately a few have lost their life building the deck, rehabbing the shed into a pool house.... may they rest in peace.
    Dropped my LN 9 1/2 not too long ago working with a slight handicap since I manicured my pinky on my 8" jointer.....just OF COURSE it landed on the back corner of the sole and put a nice little dinger there which had to be lapped out. BOO HOO HOO, watching it fall to the floor seemed to take about 10 minutes until the solid thud of cast iron meeting concrete.
    I'd have had time to get a foot under it, but I was holding my hand like a little girl..... not sure what I'll get over first butchering the end of my pinky on December 17th, or dropping my 9 1/2 on January 30th? Dropping a plane has made me consider a crash mat for standing on for hand tool work.

Greg

Marcus,
    You are very perceptive. No, I am not all grain brewing. At this point I am using extract, specialty malts and of course hops. I recently decided to switch from dry malt extract and to buy my malts and grains in bulk so this will drive the cost down more. Most of my brews average about 45 to 50 cents/bottle. That particular cherry ale used 10 lbs. of tart cherries in it and drove the price up. I have some hops in the freezer; I'm considering selling several ounces so that maybe I can buy a LN plane. I may sometime in the future go the all grain route, but that would be another capital investment. Where to put those hobby dollars, woodworking or brewing?
    That is part of the decision to refurb vintage stanleys insteade of springing for the more costly tools. Do I want a Lie-Nielsen? You bet, but wanting one and deciding that this is the most important use of available funds isn't the same thing. There are alternatives that so far, given my skill and projects, work just fine.

Ahhh I feel your pain, Phil. All said I didn't invest that much in all grain althoug hit has grown a bit. Lansing isn't too far from here if you want to come down some time when I'm doing an all grain batch, see what all is involved. I bet I can even procure a keggle for you. 15$. Yeah where to spend the dollars is always the question. Of course, if you go AG you save money in the long run and you can buy more planes. I am trying to get a group order together for next year if you want to get in on it. About 30$/50lb bag for malt but probably not till may or june.

Please don't kick us into a homebrewing forum...

I started brewing myself, mini-mash only so far not all grain... where does that put me if you had to equate that to woodworking?

Normite - Buy Zima
    Hybrid - Buy beer
    Buy LN or LV - Buy Guinness/Boddingtons etc.
    Buy Stanley and restore - Make beer (mini-mash)
    Make your own plane - All grain brewing

Or are these silly comparisons off?

/p

[quote=Pedro Reyes;769532]

Normite - Buy Zima
    Hybrid - Buy beer
    Buy LN or LV - Buy Guinness/Boddingtons etc.
    Buy Stanley and restore - Make beer (mini-mash)
    Make your own plane - All grain brewing

Pedro,
    I never fit into any categories. I like Canadian beer-ale style & Irish style Ales..... and I buy LN-LV's. Then again I grew up 40 miles from the Us-Canadian border in northern Vermont.

Cheers.

/p

Pretty spot on if you ask me! I guess I better make some planes.

Too many strong opinions on this thread. No need to add to the insanity .
    peace

/p

Pedro

It's winter up here.
    Insanity is what we do.
    let's bring it on til' spring.

Mike

PS.
    I wonder if a portion of a thread has ever been moved to Off Topic. This one took a really cool bend in the road.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-08-2008 at 9:13 PM.

It's one of those most enjoyable threads I've ever participated in on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward View Post
    It's one of those most enjoyable threads I've ever participated in on here.
    it sure has covered ALOT of bases here ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    it sure has covered ALOT of bases here ....
    We've gone from planes to beer...and NOW you want baseball too!

Sorry, it's been a long, long day and I'm bored so I just couldn't resist

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Pedro

It's winter up here.
    Insanity is what we do.
    let's bring it on til' spring.

Mike

PS.
    I wonder if a portion of a thread has ever been moved to Off Topic. This one took a really cool bend in the road.
    See Mike, I'm in Austin down here in the "Republic", it is 69 what I consider the perfect temperature and I am having a Young's SLA (Special London Ale) and some venison sausage on crackers (cold), thinly sliced after it was smoked and then grilled yesterday... Maybe that's why I didn't stress over this thread . I don't hunt, not the gun type, but I know enough people who do.

/p