Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Do I really want Lie Nielsen?

Sitting in the garage, drinking Boulevard Irish Ale, smoking a La Gloria Cubana Wavell, it's.. no idea, damn cold outside, but toasty in the garage. I had cookies for dinner. Your mom ever say, "Don't eat those cookies, you'll ruin your dinner" and you responded with, "When I grow up I'll have cookies for dinner!" I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Ward View Post
    It's one of those most enjoyable threads I've ever participated in on here.
    And to think the fun really started after you called yourself a beer snob.... Although I do admit I sort of enhoy some of the more umm.... adamant discourse at times. Marcus, the offer to help with machining irons outta be a little more push to make a plane or planes.... and now ya went and posted your intentions, so you're on the hook.
    I was thinking about the thread being about 10 miles off point as I was babbling the other day too. To think this all started 'cause John asked a simple question about spending a gift certificate heating up to where we all got warned to be nice and now we're talking about our beverages of choice. Never dod stop to say I'm sick of hearing about baseball (I mean steriod stuff) in December-January & now Feb... If you recognize my avatar... now you're in my boat.
    Funny ol' thread this has become. And yes I agree, it's one of the better threads I've read and been part of...

Cheers 'tho is a wee early for that.

Greg

If you want to see a true beer snob ask a Canadian about American beer. Personally I am delighted in the trend in the US to small breweries and brew pubs, tasted some pretty tasty items the last few years. My preferences tend towards dark and heavy with beer or ale.

Don't have any beer or wine in the workshop it affects my perspective somewhat, so I never dropped a bottle, though I never ever drink beer from a bottle unless in dire need.

I did have a plane hit a concrete floor once though, a real sweet Ohio Tool No.06 I ddi not see it hit the floor but I heard it and I knew it was done for.

Ahh well time for a Sleeman's Fine Porter.

(I also prefer single malt to blended to)
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

This has become a plane crazy thread....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Admittedly quite guilty of helping steer off course here. So at least I tied my last post to the OP's initial post....
    James,
    The funny thing is if you've ever done any International travel... damn bottom of the barrel Budweiser is all over the place. The worst parts of American society seem to permeate the globe, but yes thankfully the micro brew trend has made it inland from the east n west coasts!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This has become a plane crazy thread....
    So after #11 pages we find we need beer, Old Stanleys and Lie Nielsen planes . . .

[QUOTE=Greg Cole;769565]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post

Normite - Buy Zima
    Hybrid - Buy beer
    Buy LN or LV - Buy Guinness/Boddingtons etc.
    Buy Stanley and restore - Make beer (mini-mash)
    Make your own plane - All grain brewing

Or are these silly comparisons off?

Pedro,
    I never fit into any categories. I like Canadian beer-ale style & Irish style Ales..... and I buy LN-LV's. Then again I grew up 40 miles from the Us-Canadian border in northern Vermont.

Cheers.
    My parents bought a cottage in Canada when I was 1. I'd spent most of my youth years there for the whole summer, from the time I got out of school to the time I had to go back. In my pre-legal age drinking escapades, I became a fan of Brador. When ice cold,it's like cream. Luckily the border was only a few miles from home and it was easy to go there before the change in immigration policies- now you need a passport. Now I hardly drink anymore. It's a shame.
    Last edited by Michael Gibbons; 02-09-2008 at 1:11 PM.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

O.K. I came down pretty hard on Bridge City planes in another thread saying they are way too expensive. If anyone wants to read a review of block planes, the winter 2001/2002 issue 153 of Fine Woodworking has it. The Bridge City came in at a paltry $659 and that was in 2001 dollars!!!

Can we start a poll in a thread that is in progress? I would, just for giggles, like to see how many members that are reading this have BC planes.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin Alstot View Post
    So after #11 pages we find we need beer, Old Stanleys and Lie Nielsen planes . . .

..... and,Single Malt Scotches and Tequila.
    We also have to have some of that venison sausage Pedro made reference too. Man, did that sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    We also have to have some of that venison sausage Pedro made reference too. Man, did that sound good.
    The Balvenie (PortWood) Single malt 21 year, neat or perhaps with 1 cube. Ohh man. Don Julio anejo, no salt no lime, sipped (never shot) with fresh cheese or fruit (orange or pinapple slices go well)...

that sounds good indeed...

/p

Corvin,
    It's not "need" or else we'd have to admit having problems, I say beer, Although BC planes are something I am guessing not many of us have in common though.... there's my vote cast in that poll.
    Irish Ale, venison (taken by me & my little dude this fall) on the menu tonight...... makers with ginger ale for desert. Pedro got me thinking venison... YUM.
    Michael,
    I made MANY trips to Montreal before becoming of legal age in the states...... geeze I almost feel old cause that was 15-16-17 years ago now. Ahhhh... Brador, Canadian, Labatt Blue... the stuff you buy in Canada is oh so much better.
    Yes, I agree with Jim this is plane crazy & right up my alley somehow.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons View Post
    Can we start a poll in a thread that is in progress? I would, just for giggles, like to see how many members that are reading this have BC planes.
    The OP cannot edit the thread and posts after 24 hours.

Why not start another thread specifically to poll for who has what. But keep in mind that you'll need to construct it carefully so that all the major and almost major choices are available in addition to the ever-popular "other"....

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

so,

how about them NY Giants?

dan
    Building my own Legos!

Go Falcons!

Unfortunately, last season the only place any of them went was to prison

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Do not imbibe Tequila, but really like Talisker Single malt, and like someone before me on this thread I do not hunt or anythihng but have aquaintences that do, and am currently hoarding a pair of Venison tenderloins waiting for a special occasion.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay