Thread: Questions on Rockwell/Invicta 22-650 planer

Questions on Rockwell/Invicta 22-650 planer

I'm trying to arrange a "look-see" at an 80's vintage planer of this model that's fairly near to me on Craigslist. I know only a small amount about this model machine, and it seems good for the most part. They came with a 2HP motor, 13" max width cut, and 6" height. Heavy, in the neighborhood of 450lbs I think. Blades are still available, Yes?, no?. Or should I pass on it for a newer 15" with a 3HP motor or of course one of those pricey Shelix -headed planers
    The size and power seem ok for my needs, some replacment parts seem still available. What max of a price would you guys stop at, esp when there are so many newer planers out there?. Thanks for the replies,

Quote Originally Posted by Callan Campbell View Post
    I'm trying to arrange a "look-see" at an 80's vintage planer of this model that's fairly near to me on Craigslist. I know only a small amount about this model machine, and it seems good for the most part. They came with a 2HP motor, 13" max width cut, and 6" height. Heavy, in the neighborhood of 450lbs I think. Blades are still available, Yes?, no?. Or should I pass on it for a newer 15" with a 3HP motor or of course one of those pricey Shelix -headed planers
    The size and power seem ok for my needs, some replacment parts seem still available. What max of a price would you guys stop at, esp when there are so many newer planers out there?. Thanks for the replies,
    the price would depend on condition and the availability of parts. i would imagine most parts are still available and the blades from most any store that deal in blades etc. given that it is from the 1980's i would try a price of $150 and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply Charles. I'm suprised no one else had an opinion on this planer, as they're well made enough to have lasted all this time. I guess 15" is the new 13" with planer sizes once you get away from the lunchbox style versions . If you're gloing to step up from the small units, people just go big if they're going that route with a planer anyway.
    At any rate, I don't think the price would come down to the amount you suggested, as they want something closer to $700. Again, thanks for the time in replying to my post

Quote Originally Posted by Callan Campbell View Post
    ... I'm suprised no one else had an opinion on this planer, as they're well made enough to have lasted all this time.
    Sorry. I guess your post sank to the bottom fast, as I did not see it on the 10th!

Callan, the RC33 13" Invicta was the original 4-post planer that all Asian clones imitate, but in a 15" version. I have used my Rockwell since 1985, bought barely used. I have never done a thing to it but sharpen the blades. It's built like a TANK! It's 2hp 230v motor has plenty of butt! I have, in one day, planed a truckload 12" wide oak, and the planer asked for more!

If the knife-setting jig comes with it, you are in business. A spare set of knives would be nice also. Freud still stocks knives for the RC33. I have never found the 13" width to be a limitation.

The RC33's drawbacks IMO are only two:

1- lack of jack screws in the cutterhead for fine tuning knife height. It relies on springs under the knives when they are pressed down with the setting jig. I manage though, to set the knives accurately.

2- 15" Chinese planers would be cheaper to add a spiral cutterhead to in the future.

$100 would be an embarassing steal. $700 is a bit on the embarassing high side. It better still be new in the crate at that price. A good median price for a clean planer would be less than $500. You won't find many used 15" planers for that, unless they are worn out. I just bought a 2nd Delta RC33 in need of only a little TLC, for $375. Ultimately, selling price depends on the motivation of the seller, and the need of the buyer. Best of Luck!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 06-13-2010 at 9:12 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

The invicta planers were made in Brazil for Rockwell. I havent had my hands on one, but havent heard anything terrible about them either. Parts for them is going to be the biggest hurdle. B&D/Dewalt support for the older Delta equipment has gone down the crapper and here you have an import machine to boot. If they are asking around 700 then you might want to let the cops know, cause they are smoking crack on that one.

If you are looking for older American machinery, keep yours eyes open for Parks/Sears machines around 60's vintage. They are tanks and you can still get parts second hand since they made a ton of em. Otherwise, if you want plug and play go for one of the grizzly machines, their support is good and the prices are fair.
    Last edited by Bob Aquino; 06-13-2010 at 9:08 AM.

I have had my Rockwell planer since 1984 great little machine. No repairs needed. Each time I change out blades I do complete cleaning, lube and check all adjustment. Only down side is the single speed gear box. Tom

Hello, guys. I just joined the forum, and so my first post.

I have just purchased a Delta/Rockwell - Invicta model 22650, with serial #3454, nameplated as manufactured in Brazil. The most similar Rockwell model seems to be RC-33. I believe this is a machine from the 1980's, and it's in amazingly great shape... zero rust, clean, tight bearings, smoothe elevator operation and even sharp knives.

I want to calibrate and tune everything possible before using it on some fine American walnut. Does anyone have a factory manual for this exact 22650 model? I have a manual for the RC-33, but there are apparent differences.

One easily observable difference is the absence of a foot long "shifter" handle on my planer. The RC-33 manual shows that long "stick" and says it is used to either engage or disengage the feed mechanism. But, my 22650 instead has a smaller "T handle" on a lower position but on the same side -- operating some device inside the power drive oil bath. It seems to turn rather than push in or out. Does this accomplish the same thing as the shifter stick? I'd sure like to understand this without having to taking this thing apart.

I also see elsewhere in this forum a suggestion to use the knife setting jigs offered by Planer Pal sold by Woodstock via amazon. If anyone uses this jig, do you use a pair of the smaller W1226 "mini" jigs, or the larger W1217 ones? Or, perhaps a totally different jig?

One more question... should I drain and refill the oil in the power drive? What is the best way to do this, and what replacement oil should I use?
    Thanks for any help. I expect to spend some quality time in this great forum...
    Pat Day

Pat
    Can't help on all of your questions but will try. First off let me say welcome to Sawmill Creek. Over on OWWM site you can fine PDF files on Delta publications on most of Delta small planers. Some of that model planer made by Invicta came without a way to disengage feed, at one time Delta had a kit fix this short coming. I made a jig to use with my dial indicator to set my blades, work well for me. Gear box oil I use 120W oil, you may hear from others that use different oils. I would drain it and refill it as you have no good way of telling what oil is in there and how full it is. Shop temperature may have some input as to oil viscosity you use. Enjoy your new planer and Welcome. Tom

Tom,
    Thanks a lot for the quick, helpful reply.
    I'll take a look at OWWM...
    Pat.
    Last edited by Pat Day; 11-04-2013 at 4:17 PM.

Rockwell 22-650 Invicta - roller needed

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    I have had my Rockwell planer since 1984 great little machine. No repairs needed. Each time I change out blades I do complete cleaning, lube and check all adjustment. Only down side is the single speed gear box. Tom
    Hi there, I have a Rockwell 22-650 Invicta, I understand it was Brazilian made. It has been a good machine, but I had a bushing cease and it twisted of at the sprocket. So I am in search of an outfeed roller, used, new, anything. Not having any luck anywhere.

Any leads from anyone are welcome. Thanks
    EE

Eli, welcome to the forum. This is a 9 year old thread so most of the posters have likely moved on from SMC. I suggest you start a new thread, but if you’re looking to buy post a WTB in the classifieds. To do that you need to be a contributor (I think).

Owwm and eBay would also be sources for you.